Travis Frederick has Guillain Barre Syndrome

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
No, he can't play through it because it affects motor nerves and causes significant loss of strength.

It doesn't matter how tough he is physically or emotionally, the impairment would make him look worse than Green, with no stamina.

It certainly is encouraging, though, that he's already feeling improvement rather than deterioration. After a few more rounds of plasmapheresis and IVIG, his recovery time should be more predictable. It's conceivable that he only misses a month.

This, he cannot play thru this. Have a friend that has this and no way he could play thru this, trust me.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Looney is raw? He's a six year vet that has started 13 games, 3 starts with the Cowboys in 2016. 4th round pick of the 49ers in 2012. He is the starter until Fred comes back.
raw as a starter, some guys are backups and good ones but can only do it in spurts , can he be depended on as our starter? thats my debate, I havent seen enough..didnt we only sign him to a 1yr deal and waited until late? if he was that good in their eyes maybe they should have given him a 2-3 yr deal>?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Not necessarily. Plenty of people make a full recovery from it.
Well I hope he does , he is a good guy.
Thing is, I think he was the most important piece of the OL.

So he is out now for unknown amount of time ?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is usually brought on from an infection but I haven't heard that he had one recently. My wife happened to call a bit ago and she has treated many patients with this disease. I'll dig in later when she gets home but she said it is uncureable yet can be managed, symptoms can even go away but will return at some point in the future. There are many who can function once the acute phase is over with various procedures and rehabs. Basically, this is something Fred will have to deal with from here on out and hopefully his disease stays minimaly aggressive.

To heck with football, I pray that Travis and his family can cope with this and overcome.

They originally told me I had a virus infection of the nerves. Then later referred to it as GBS. But then, early 70's, they called it GB Paralysis, not Syndrome.

They may return in the future. I would say the statement "will return" is not accurate.

One thing for sure. He should NEVER, as I will NEVER and cannot get the flu shots. As this can bring on another occurrence.
I won't even get this knew pneumonia shot either. I don't trust it as ell.

Sydla

Reaction score
They originally told me I had a virus infection of the nerves. Then later referred to it as GBS. But then, early 70's, they called it GB Paralysis, not Syndrome.

They may return in the future. I would say the statement "will return" is not accurate.

One thing for sure. He should NEVER, as I will NEVER and cannot get the flu shots. As this can bring on another occurrence.

We have a family friend who is a doctor and specializes in autoimmune diseases. I was talking to him last night and he mentioned the flu situation. There is no real link between the vaccine and GBS although in many cases, doctors will suggest not getting the vaccine just in case. Further, he said, getting the flu could cause a flare up as well so you are pretty much damned if you do, damned if you don't. I think the CDC document linked mentions this too.

Really tough situation all around. Hopefully things are going well for you and for Frederick in the future.

glimmerman

Reaction score

I never get these flu shots. No thanks.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I used to get them, but got tired of feeling sick after every shot. I haven't had one for a few years now.
Yeah I think the flu shot is them giving you the flu in a small dose so your body can build a immunity to it. I will take my chances and if I catch it then I will build a immunity to it then. I rarely get sick luckily. Of course now that I say that I will catch something. Lol

Sydla

Reaction score
Yeah I think the flu shot is them giving you the flu in a small dose so your body can build a immunity to it. I will take my chances and if I catch it then I will build a immunity to it then. I rarely get sick luckily. Of course now that I say that I will catch something. Lol

As I was reading this, I kept saying, oh boy, you just jinxed yourself.

InTheZone

Reaction score

First heard about this last year, for some reason it seems not a lot of people are aware of this whenever I mention it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...-day-japanese-maker-touts-new-drug/329199002/

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Where have you seen that this is the "root cause" of his stingers?

The stinging he's feeling is his body trying to attack its own nerves. I've had some family with nerve damage (not like this though, closer to what Jaylon had), and they'd often describe it as a stinging or shooting pain.

aikemirv

Reaction score
No, he can't play through it because it affects motor nerves and causes significant loss of strength.

It doesn't matter how tough he is physically or emotionally, the impairment would make him look worse than Green, with no stamina.

It certainly is encouraging, though, that he's already feeling improvement rather than deterioration. After a few more rounds of plasmapheresis and IVIG, his recovery time should be more predictable. It's conceivable that he only misses a month.

Oh, so he has been twittling his thumbs in Training Camp - stupid me, I though he was playing!