Travis Frederick has Guillain Barre Syndrome

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Not a joke, an absolute real thing. People should not apologize for being able to read.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concerns/guillain-barre-syndrome.html

And that is what they are willing to admit.

As stated in the publication above, evidence indicates that there may be one more case of GBS per 100,000 after influenza vaccination, but the morbidity and mortality from influenza is many times greater than this, including the rate of GBS in influenza patients.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Yeah I think the flu shot is them giving you the flu in a small dose so your body can build a immunity to it. I will take my chances and if I catch it then I will build a immunity to it then. I rarely get sick luckily. Of course now that I say that I will catch something. Lol

Not a live virus.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
Not at all. Young people diagnosed and treated early have an excellent prognosis.

Now if he goes onto develop chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy that’s a different story
That sounds very, very painful!

Ken

Reaction score
As stated in the publication above, evidence indicates that there may be one more case of GBS per 100,000 after influenza vaccination, but the morbidity and mortality from influenza is many times greater than this, including the rate of GBS in influenza patients.
The numbers for influenza deaths are grossly exaggerated. They include any complication, which is usually pneumonia, in those statistics.

Only those with compromised immune systems such as the elderly and immuno compromised should be at risk for death from the flu. The Flu shot is useless(placebo is more effective in clinical trials) and dangerous.

Ken

Reaction score
Not a live virus.
Some are attenuated or weakened. What they have found, is some of the attenuated regain their strength once injected, hence why the vaccinated can shed the virus for periods of weeks afterwards.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
The numbers for influenza deaths are grossly exaggerated. They include any complication, which is usually pneumonia, in those statistics.

Only those with compromised immune systems such as the elderly and immuno compromised should be at risk for death from the flu. The Flu shot is useless(placebo is more effective in clinical trials) and dangerous.

Virulence varies by strain.

The 1918 Spanish Flu killed more soldiers in WW1 than those killed in combat. And those were mostly 18-25 year old men in peak health.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Football injuries suck enough...but this is far worse. I hope the very best for him. It sounds like it can be a horrible thing to go through.

glimmerman

Reaction score
No more real news coming out yet. We need to wait and see what’s happening. Just a lot of guessing. He is young and diagnosed early. It can effect everyone different.

phildadon86

Reaction score

The 1918 Spanish Flu killed more soldiers in WW1 than those killed in combat. And those were mostly 18-25 year old men in peak health.
Spanish influenza was legit. Almost killed Edward Cullen until Carlisle saved him with the vampire bite.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I hope he recovers, he will be in my prayers.

Important to note that "recover" for most people means return to a normally functional life. NFL football players must go by a different, much higher standard. They are required to be at their physical peak in order to compete at that level. Therefore, I would think there are two different levels of "recovery".It's not clear to me which level experts are referring to.

In the meantime, wouldn't doubt that some teams going through a youth movement are going to release a veteran center. Some recognizable names are going to be available within the next ten days.

This is the part that gets me. The 1-2 month recovery time for normal people probably means that they are healthy enough to return to desk work or drive a car. We have no idea what the recovery time for an NFL lineman is like.

What's also worrying is people saying that it may cause permanent strength loss if those nerves get damaged. For your average desk jockey, their reaction to permanently losing say 20% of the strength in their arms would be "getting old sucks" and gratitude that the disease wasn't worse. For Frederick, losing 20% of his upper body strength might put him on the fast track out of the league.

Prayers for Frederick right now. If I'm worried about this, God knows he is.

kskboys

Reaction score

A complication due to having the flu is still the flu doing the killing.

Using that argument, AIDS doesn't kill either.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

Just checking in on this thread, and...

XujHL.gif

Szczepanik

Reaction score
Thanks for the voice of reason.

Is it pretty cut and dry to determine if a person has recovered?

If mild/caught early, sounds like this could be better than more typical football injuries that tend to linger throughout the season.

It is cut and dry on when its over. They should give him medication to depress activity of his immune system, preventing increased symptom progression. He should only get mild symptoms if its caught this early. It has a better prognosis than an actual neck injury causing stingers. Just isnt fun while GBS is going through its routine progression.

HungryLion

Reaction score

Heart attacks don’t kill people. The lack of blood flowing through their body does.

Ken

Reaction score

If only we had a vaccine for that.... :)

Ken

Reaction score

If that is how you choose to define Flu deaths....it makes it a pretty unreliable statistic.

They died from the Pneumonia, not the flu. Flu does not make one susceptible to Pnumonia, the treatment does. But lets not get into the weeds on this, I am not going to change anyone's mind on here.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I never get these flu shots. No thanks.
I used to get them, but got tired of feeling sick after every shot. I haven't had one for a few years now.
Yeah I think the flu shot is them giving you the flu in a small dose so your body can build a immunity to it. I will take my chances and if I catch it then I will build a immunity to it then. I rarely get sick luckily. Of course now that I say that I will catch something. Lol

I never get them of course, and I have not had the flu since I was in my early 20's.
I used to get some bronchitis when I lived in Ohio. But since I moved to Florida when I was 23, I never had that since either.
For the last 36 years, between Florida and Texas, I spent a winter in CT and back in Ohio. Part of a winter in Indy.
A winter between Montreal, South Korea, and then half a winter back in Montreal.

Of course we can get some cold and ice and snow here in Texas. But it is not like it will last for months.

Had a few colds here and there, maybe a 24 hour bug or something. I think one time it lasted a few days, but I was still able to get up and about.

I guess I been pretty lucky in the regard. So that means I will get it this year. :laugh:

glimmerman

Reaction score
I never get them of course, and I have not had the flu since I was in my early 20's.
I used to get some bronchitis when I lived in Ohio. But since I moved to Florida when I was 23, I never had that since either.
For the last 36 years, between Florida and Texas, I spent a winter in CT and back in Ohio. Part of a winter in Indy.
A winter between Montreal, South Korea, and then half a winter back in Montreal.

Of course we can get some cold and ice and snow here in Texas. But it is not like it will last for months.

Had a few colds here and there, maybe a 24 hour bug or something. I think one time it lasted a few days, but I was still able to get up and about.

I guess I been pretty lucky in the regard. So that means I will get it this year. :laugh:
Lol. Yep your doomed. I live in Florida and have visited Texas as I have family there. I also have psoriasis which is a immune disorder it supposedly keeps your immune system running high. So that may be a reason I don’t get sick very often. Was never sick other than like you mentioned (maybe a 24 hour bug) until I hit 40ish. Now it may last a few days and then gone as fast as it came. One thing that has come me around as I got a little older is allergies. Never had those till 40s either. Getting older sucks.