Trenches: Some proof on why we lose in the playoffs

Momanpr100

Reaction score
The Great Mahomes won a SB... again.

Some of you really need to read your posts a couple of times before you conclude that you did a "gotcha'. It'll keep you from owning yourself.
And you need to see the obvious sarcasm. You must be a fun guy, in a black and white world.

kskboys

Reaction score
Nailed it. It is just easy for some to pick out the easy target (QB) and blame him. They can't sit down and analyze all the aspects of a game. Just, Me no like QB, QB bad, we lost.
Yup. And the ones who refuse to give him any blame are just as bad.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Agreed and superglad Quinn is gone.
It’s a shame it went down like that. I never agree that coaches are allowed to interview with other teams while the season is still going. If your in the playoffs then the coaches need to be game planning and not interviewing for another job.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Needing to always keep your trenches strong on both sides of the ball is often discussed on this forum. Has the FO been willing & able to do this particularly on the defensive side? No. No argument from me. It needs to be fixed regardless of who we have at the so called skill positions.

Regardless of that though, there are plenty of snaps where the QB had opportunities to make plays and just didn't or even worse committed errors.

Both can be true.

Better QB play wins some of those games. 2016 we were for sure playing a bad defense. 2023 he was off from the get go. The two against the Niners were close & we held an explosive offense to 23 & 19. You couldn't hope for much more from your defense on those. Certainly the ability to run the ball more effectively would have been nice. Odd with all those All Pro's.
All pros on paper. Did not look that way on the field.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Needing to always keep your trenches strong on both sides of the ball is often discussed on this forum. Has the FO been willing & able to do this particularly on the defensive side? No. No argument from me. It needs to be fixed regardless of who we have at the so called skill positions.

Regardless of that though, there are plenty of snaps where the QB had opportunities to make plays and just didn't or even worse committed errors.

Both can be true.

Better QB play wins some of those games. 2016 we were for sure playing a bad defense. 2023 he was off from the get go. The two against the Niners were close & we held an explosive offense to 23 & 19. You couldn't hope for much more from your defense on those. Certainly the ability to run the ball more effectively would have been nice. Odd with all those All Pro's.
Not in the playoffs they don’t. If you can’t run the ball AND stop the run, you’re not going very far in the playoffs.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Not in the playoffs they don’t. If you can’t run the ball AND stop the run, you’re not going very far in the playoffs.
I don't know what the bold means.

I said that and have said it many times before.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I very clearly said BOTH can be true. :banghead:
And there in lies you’re misunderstanding. You gave equal blame to Dak and the rest of the team. So you’re talking out both sides of your mouth when we all know you don’t like Dak. You’ve made that very obvious so don’t try and be cute.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
We are losing in the trenches, just a thought I’d share…starts on Offense, because Dak/Tony gets blamed a lot,.........​
According to some, who needs trenches? All we need is a new QB. A great QB is a 1 man team, right?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
And there in lies you’re misunderstanding. You gave equal blame to Dak and the rest of the team. So you’re talking out both sides of your mouth when we all know you don’t like Dak. You’ve made that very obvious so don’t try and be cute.
So as long as anyone else might not have been perfectly on point, he can't be blamed????

I don't give them equal credit. Dak is the QB, he gets more.

If he performed at a high level to raise the team around him, I'd like him just fine.

The people who refuse to accept something as simple as his performance can be judged on it's own merits regardless of what else may have also occurred are the ones I have come to loathe.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
We are losing in the trenches, just a thought I’d share…starts on Offense, because Dak/Tony gets blamed a lot,​

Zeke and our run game in the playoffs,

• 2016 -22-125 5.7, lost over no defense against rogers not on dak.
  • 2018 -Seattle game 26-137 won the game. The next week 2018 rams game 47 yards, averaging 2.4 yards per carry yup LOSS but really was on the defense but dak alone once again.
  • 2021-31 yards on 12 carries 2.6 yup a loss.
  • 2022 -23 carries 53 yards 2.4 YPC, that’s 2 games, ouch. I mean at least we did beat Tampa Bay on Prescott’s arm with no run game…
  • 2023-TP wow HOF 15-56 at 3.7 he was cooking but down big they were hollow stats folks.

And trust me it was just as bad for the quarterback with the offensive line not opening holes, no run game, and this is what you want where is Tony Dorsett and Emmitt Smith and the offensive lines from those championship teams??​

I mean for a defense I'd have to go by memory, but I just know the defense gave up

2016- the last play of the game with less than two minutes and 2016 is why we lost to Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers while the offense played great.

2018- the Rams game in 2018 there was no run game as I said above but there also was no defense 278 yards on the ground.

2021- this one's tougher to remember but if memory serves me right first half of that game the defense gave up nearly 10 yards per carry to deebo Samuels they owned the time of possession and then on offense they had to deal with once again no run game and you had to add on the fact that the offensive line had 11 penalties yeah quarterback is supposed to play well in that game short should have won that game by himself put him on his back and won the game.

2022- in my opinion this was one of the ones that's tough to blame the defense they played pretty well but at times they gave up yards on the ground but they did not make the key plays the championship defense should yeah Trayvon diggs didn't break up that play against kittles he did not intercept that ball would have been some game changing plays in a close game.. But we do know it was very easy for their defense to stop our run game and once again make our offense one-dimensional and it's very difficult to play quarterback in this kind of environment. IMHO

2023- this is the absolute **** show total annihilation from beginning to end by the team, 100% all on the team. please do not blame the flow of the game which started out down 7 nothing because the defense sucked but it was more people keep citing those two interceptions by Prescott is somehow setting the tone forgetting that the defense didn't stop the Green Bay Packers at all the whole entire game. Let's be clear that first interception Brandon cooks was interfered with not once but twice there was nowhere to throw the ball so Prescott said hey go make a play there was no call by the referees but the reason that ball got picked off is because our receiver got yanked once and then solder pulled back while they were going to the ground so he can sneak up in there and just grab that ball. 2nd interception it was clear that Prescott was trying to make a play he threw the ball where the play was supposed to go and CD lamb broke off his route and started up field they were he was trying for a off script play and it didn't turn out well.

So yes, while Prescott did play great play bad at times deserves some criticism there's obvious proof here, in the trenches, this Cowboys team is set up for failure against the better teams in the league.. they do not bring what it takes as a team to win.

Where is the defense, run game, and coaching?? This happened to Tony Romo as well, so let’s stay on facts and not flawed memory's. LOL​

let me finish on this,

because we all want the championships, and we keep citing how great Troy and Roger were as championship quarterbacks and deserve the Hall of Fame flowers that they get...

come on people, give me a break they never had to carry a team in that mess I described above, they did not have to feel like they had to come into a game and play perfectly or take all the heat for a loss.

They had Tony Dorsett, Emmitt Smith, Jimmy Johnson, Landry and some of the best play in the trenches you can get out of a team and that is why they won championships, had nothing to do with just having a great quarterback.
I and some fellow zoners have been harping about this for years .
We've had some good years On OL and some on DL , but unfortunately not both in meaning ful time.

We need decent pass protection and a mauling run blocking line ( hopefully this young OL will become that) But at the same time need good run blocking DL with decent pass rushers . Hence cant understand Jerry and co. hesitancy in investing some good DL a RB this year.

May be the thinking is young OL needs a season to gel and with possibility of coaching change next year , the direction will change.

Of course cap is a mess, thatswhy I am one of those who do not to waste enormous cap on QB or any one position.

kskboys

Reaction score
You are a case study in what I was talking about.
Don't know what that means, but there is a small contingent of fans who believe that Dak is either terrible or great. Neither is true, and both sides continuously lie. It's really a sad little thing. This small number of people dominate every Dak thread so it's impossible to have a decent convo concerning Dak.

If you're putting me on one side or the other, you have grossly misread, try again.

kskboys

Reaction score
I and some fellow zoners have been harping about this for years .
We've had some good years On OL and some on DL , but unfortunately not both in meaning ful time.

We need decent pass protection and a mauling run blocking line ( hopefully this young OL will become that) But at the same time need good run blocking DL with decent pass rushers . Hence cant understand Jerry and co. hesitancy in investing some good DL a RB this year.

May be the thinking is young OL needs a season to gel and with possibility of coaching change next year , the direction will change.

Of course cap is a mess, thatswhy I am one of those who do not to waste enormous cap on QB or any one position.
Every time we get even a decent O/Dline together, BLAM, we start taking TE's and CB's and injured players prolifically, guys who turn like semi trucks, guys who lack instincts. And we do this every time. We appear to have no comprehension of keeping the O/Dlines stocked, and that the DLine takes a strong rotation, not just one star.