Trenches: Some proof on why we lose in the playoffs

Buzzbait

Reaction score
You can win a ton of games if you can control the line of scrimmage. Combine that, a good running game and a QB like Dak and the sky is the limit.
Yup, we wouldn't be pushing 3 decades of disappointment.

Reactions: CWR

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Yup, we wouldn't be pushing 3 decades of disappointment.
Not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not, but the Jones have always emphasized the offensive line, but not the interior defensive line or linebackers.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not, but the Jones have always emphasized the offensive line, but not the interior defensive line or linebackers.
No sarcasm Rock, just agreeing with your statement "You can win a ton of games if you can control the line of scrimmage." :thumbup:

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
our oline has been decent ever since we finally realized a QB needs one in 2011 after romo got plastered 24/7, weve been drafting decent guys and while its been declining, its not been a weakness.
Our drafting towards edge rushers has been ok, Ware and Parsons were huge hits.

Our drafting in the middle has been whats killing us, theres been no good/elite personnel there for decades. We have some decent guys there but just not enough, and our depth behind them is poop. Then on top of that our LB core is just horrendous, Sean Lee really masked how bad it was years ago and nothing has changed since then. Horrendous when Hankins is one of your best DTs

So they cant draft in that area, so next up is free agency to fill that spot right?
lol

Even if Dak takes a huge paycut or we had some rookie wed never shell out to get a game changing DT, FO rather overpay overrated home talent

Reactions: CWR

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You can win a ton of games if you can control the line of scrimmage. Combine that, a good running game and a QB like Dak and the sky is the limit.
What a great post ............ post of the decade!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Dak and Zeke baby!!!! Jerry Jones (that freakin genius!) has done it AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not, but the Jones have always emphasized the offensive line.
Actually, no. That is incorrect.
Did you just start following the Dallas Cowboys recently?

Jerry did not start emphasizing the offensive line until he drafted Tyron Smith. Literally 20 years after he purchased the team. It was well-known that Jerry ignored the offensive line for years and years.

Jerry fans will literally try to tell you anything to prop him up.

Sydla

Reaction score
All this is great but the reality is that the most important player on ANY TEAM, the QB, did not play well for us in many of those playoff games.

It's mind numbing the lengths you guys go to to excuse Dak or try to not hold him responsible for his own failures that hurt the team. It's funny that the same people excusing him in the playoffs are typically the ones also praising him for winning 12 games or whatever with no apparent run game. How can it be both? How can you praise him for being so great that he overcomes our lack of run game in the regular season but the postseason comes around, his spits it up a bit and suddenly, Dak shouldn't be expected to overcome an anemic run game.

PS - Doesn't also change the fact that the Cowboys approach at DT is also mind numbing and stupid and idiotic and stubborn.

glimmerman

Reaction score
When you get to the playoffs teams are more evenly matched and you need good coaching. Coaches that can come up with a good game plan and also can make on the fly adjustments. Use our talent to take advantage of the other teams weaknesses. And those playoff teams have smaller weaknesses.

Games are won and lost in the trenches. Dak gets that deer in the headlights look when his center is sitting in his lap after the snap. Teams can take advantage of no run game by stuffing it and forcing the QB to throw all day. Dak threw 60 times. You’re gonna have problems when you make any QB throw 60 times against a playoff caliber team. We had 123 yards rushing and Dak had 45 of those. The 2 picks sucked.

Our Defense gave up a lot of points. There qb only threw 21 times. And 3 of them were tds. They ran for 143 yards. Not terrible but they averaged almost 8 yards a carry. And got no turnovers or sacks. Quinn made really no adjustments.

Was just a bad game by the whole team including coaching staff. Almost like this team over looked a team they figured they would beat. Like we played prevent on Defense and our Offense put the game on Daks arm. Especially when we fell behind.

A improved O-Line and a run game will help our Offense greatly. Dak can get it done at QB position. Our Defense has to address the DT1 spot. We let Hankins go over 700k. He made 1.3 million last year. Left to take 2 million for a year. Not sure what JJ is thinking.

Dak is a top QB in this league right now. Each franchise qb will want to beat out the last or at least equal it. Same with other elite players at there position. The NFL and teams have allowed the qb position to get this much money. The cap goes up and the contracts go up. Teams have quit letting the RB position make the money they used to. Elliot was the last to get paid the big bucks. We ran him into the ground. I don’t like the running back by committee thing. I would like to have a starter and then rotate later in the game. The first few years of the Elliot and Pollard combo is style I want.

We need to run the ball and for sure be able to stop the run. Not sure if they plan on using smaller DT and bigger LBs. We need that big boy in the middle. Hoping we get one before the season starts.

Chasing6

Reaction score
When you get to the playoffs teams are more evenly matched and you need good coaching. Coaches that can come up with a good game plan and also can make on the fly adjustments. Use our talent to take advantage of the other teams weaknesses. And those playoff teams have smaller weaknesses.

Games are won and lost in the trenches. Dak gets that deer in the headlights look when his center is sitting in his lap after the snap. Teams can take advantage of no run game by stuffing it and forcing the QB to throw all day. Dak threw 60 times. You’re gonna have problems when you make any QB throw 60 times against a playoff caliber team. We had 123 yards rushing and Dak had 45 of those. The 2 picks sucked.

Our Defense gave up a lot of points. There qb only threw 21 times. And 3 of them were tds. They ran for 143 yards. Not terrible but they averaged almost 8 yards a carry. And got no turnovers or sacks. Quinn made really no adjustments.

Was just a bad game by the whole team including coaching staff. Almost like this team over looked a team they figured they would beat. Like we played prevent on Defense and our Offense put the game on Daks arm. Especially when we fell behind.

A improved O-Line and a run game will help our Offense greatly. Dak can get it done at QB position. Our Defense has to address the DT1 spot. We let Hankins go over 700k. He made 1.3 million last year. Left to take 2 million for a year. Not sure what JJ is thinking.

Dak is a top QB in this league right now. Each franchise qb will want to beat out the last or at least equal it. Same with other elite players at there position. The NFL and teams have allowed the qb position to get this much money. The cap goes up and the contracts go up. Teams have quit letting the RB position make the money they used to. Elliot was the last to get paid the big bucks. We ran him into the ground. I don’t like the running back by committee thing. I would like to have a starter and then rotate later in the game. The first few years of the Elliot and Pollard combo is style I want.

We need to run the ball and for sure be able to stop the run. Not sure if they plan on using smaller DT and bigger LBs. We need that big boy in the middle. Hoping we get one before the season starts.
We need to trade 1 or 2 of our 5th round comp picks for a DT.

Havic

Reaction score
Trenches are vital, there is no denying this.

However!

QB is the highest paid position in the league as the most is expected of them. Dak can handle the regular season just fine but playoffs separate the men from the boys. We know who Dak is. And if he wants to take 20m / year to have a more complete team to help him then I’m fine with a resign, otherwise start walking

glimmerman

Reaction score
All this is great but the reality is that the most important player on ANY TEAM, the QB, did not play well for us in many of those playoff games.

It's mind numbing the lengths you guys go to to excuse Dak or try to not hold him responsible for his own failures that hurt the team. It's funny that the same people excusing him in the playoffs are typically the ones also praising him for winning 12 games or whatever with no apparent run game. How can it be both? How can you praise him for being so great that he overcomes our lack of run game in the regular season but the postseason comes around, his spits it up a bit and suddenly, Dak shouldn't be expected to overcome an anemic run game.

PS - Doesn't also change the fact that the Cowboys approach at DT is also mind numbing and stupid and idiotic and stubborn.
The way they are handling the DT1 spot reminds me of the way they handled the Safety position for years. But IMO DT1 is more important. Teams are gonna keep pushing our under sized DT right back into the LBs.

As far as Dak goes. I am not making excuses for him. Picks are picks. Some bounce off WRs hands or WRs run the wrong route or cut it off to quick. But if the QB is gonna get credit for the TD passes then they have to take the heat for the ints. The pick 6 cost us 7 points. The other gave a team that was scoring on almost every possession another chance.

But fact is the playoff games are best against the best and any weakness you have a good HC will expose it. And we can’t run the ball and certainly can’t stop it. I liked our center but he is small and Martin is having to help him to much. Fredbeard could hold his own. We need one that dont end up in Daks lap. I want a stable starting RB this year. We have addressed the O-Line. But starting Elliot worries me. He is not the same guy and I just know JJ is going to force him out there. We can’t have our QB throwing the ball 60 times in a game. I don’t care if it’s Dak or Romo or everyone’s new hero Lance.

We will be seeing a lot of Lance in preseason against 2nd and 3rd string players. He won’t beat Dak out of a starting job and Lance will cost a lot of money to keep and nobody will trade for him now. I think Lance costs us 5 million this year and JJ is hoping he has a great showing in preseason and if a starting qb somewhere goes down during the season they will give JJ a high draft pick.

glimmerman

Reaction score
We need to trade 1 or 2 of our 5th round comp picks for a DT.
Not sure we can trade comp picks now. There was a year that the NFL allowed comp picks to be traded. But not sure now. If so then yes. Get someone. At least an average player will work. Lol

glimmerman

Reaction score
Trenches are vital, there is no denying this.

However!

QB is the highest paid position in the league as the most is expected of them. Dak can handle the regular season just fine but playoffs separate the men from the boys. We know who Dak is. And if he wants to take 20m / year to have a more complete team to help him then I’m fine with a resign, otherwise start walking
And use who as QB. Trey won’t be better.

John813

Reaction score
Too bad DT hasn't been a spot either the scouts, GM, VP of whatever in McClay, can find an impact player.

Should get Jeff Ireland back simply to find that Ratliff/Hatcher DT.

JK for most part on Ireland.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The way they are handling the DT1 spot reminds me of the way they handled the Safety position for years. But IMO DT1 is more important. Teams are gonna keep pushing our under sized DT right back into the LBs.

As far as Dak goes. I am not making excuses for him. Picks are picks. Some bounce off WRs hands or WRs run the wrong route or cut it off to quick. But if the QB is gonna get credit for the TD passes then they have to take the heat for the ints. The pick 6 cost us 7 points. The other gave a team that was scoring on almost every possession another chance.

But fact is the playoff games are best against the best and any weakness you have a good HC will expose it. And we can’t run the ball and certainly can’t stop it. I liked our center but he is small and Martin is having to help him to much. Fredbeard could hold his own. We need one that dont end up in Daks lap. I want a stable starting RB this year. We have addressed the O-Line. But starting Elliot worries me. He is not the same guy and I just know JJ is going to force him out there. We can’t have our QB throwing the ball 60 times in a game. I don’t care if it’s Dak or Romo or everyone’s new hero Lance.

We will be seeing a lot of Lance in preseason against 2nd and 3rd string players. He won’t beat Dak out of a starting job and Lance will cost a lot of money to keep and nobody will trade for him now. I think Lance costs us 5 million this year and JJ is hoping he has a great showing in preseason and if a starting qb somewhere goes down during the season they will give JJ a high draft pick.
We are acting like if Dak did not throw a pick six and punted that our D would have stopped GB.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
our oline has been decent ever since we finally realized a QB needs one in 2011 after romo got plastered 24/7, weve been drafting decent guys and while its been declining, its not been a weakness.
Our drafting towards edge rushers has been ok, Ware and Parsons were huge hits.

Our drafting in the middle has been whats killing us, theres been no good/elite personnel there for decades. We have some decent guys there but just not enough, and our depth behind them is poop. Then on top of that our LB core is just horrendous, Sean Lee really masked how bad it was years ago and nothing has changed since then. Horrendous when Hankins is one of your best DTs

So they cant draft in that area, so next up is free agency to fill that spot right?
lol

Even if Dak takes a huge paycut or we had some rookie wed never shell out to get a game changing DT, FO rather overpay overrated home talent
I have to disagree with you on the offensive line. They haven’t had a decent center, the most important player on the line, since Fred. It hampered both the passing game, but much more the run game.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
I have to disagree with you on the offensive line. They haven’t had a decent center, the most important player on the line, since Fred. It hampered both the passing game, but much more the run game.
Tbh that loss was sudden and a hard position to fill. Thought tyler b had done well all things considered but were due an upgrade for sure.

If you remember the early 2010s and a lil bit before that oline was in shambles, compared to now were decent

Sydla

Reaction score

And one of our weaknesses is a QB that, more often than not, has his scuffles in these situations. Sure we have other issues (coaching, talent issues, etc) but the reality another of our "weaknesses" is the fact that under the brightest lights, our top shelf, elite QB often comes up small.

That's just a fact.

Chasing6

Reaction score
And one of our weaknesses is a QB that, more often than not, has his scuffles in these situations. Sure we have other issues (coaching, talent issues, etc) but the reality another of our "weaknesses" is the fact that under the brightest lights, our top shelf, elite QB often comes up small.

That's just a fact.
Delusional much?