Trent Dilfer: If Cowboys fire Garrett, he'll be No. 1 candidate NFL Jobs for

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Beep ... Beep ... Beep.

That’s the phone line when Saban picks up the phone and hears Jerry’s voice and hangs up

The only thing Saban does really well is recruit and pay players under the table. None of that is applicable in the NFL. Saban only looks good when his team is beating up cupcakes or the talent gap is ridiculously in his favor.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I agree with those that don't really care because this has run it's course. He can go win a SB in his first year with another team and few will wish he were back here.

I do wonder what HC can be successful with this setup? It is a go along to get along job and any HC is going to have to work within the parameters of the Jones family and how they want it. And that's OK, they own it.

I think those that are hopeful that a new HC brings more success and will run a tight ship need to consider the one word the GM mentioned that concerned him about a coaching change, comfort. Think Kraft is comfortable with Belichick and his latest shenanigans?

The problem is the HC should be hired to do the job and given every tool he needs to accomplish that, including his own staff that answers to him, not the GM.

Consider this if you are a HC possibility. What did you see the GM do to this HC in the last year of his contract? He embarrassed him publicly and forced an inexperienced OC on him to help him save his job. And he likes the HC!!

It's a dilemma like I wouldn't want to be in a club that would have me. Any guy that wants this job is a suspect.
If Garrett wins a SB next year with a new team then that will prove to the world what an awful owner and GM Jerry is. Most of us Cowboy fans already know it.

scottsp

Reaction score
Jason will land another job, rather quickly. Perhaps he moves on to a better organization.

We get another punching bag and the next ex-Cowboy head coach in Frisco.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
It’s weird that in a league that constantly hires retreads at head coach that people think that Garrett, who has a winning record and has won Coach of the Year, could never get hired again. This board has never been known for having even an average IQ, but the Garrett takes are especially embarrassing.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
I think the way he presents himself will fool these older owners and GMs because he does carry himself properly.

I don’t know how any GM would want this guy coaching their team after seeing what he did in Dallas this year with the amount of talent he had.
Are you saying he is a master in BS?:)

kskboys

Reaction score
Why do I get the sinking feeling at Jerry will give him a front office job in Dallas where he is a consultant to the next head coach? This would be so Jerry Jones.
Why would that bother you? I'd love him in the front office.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Garrett wins a SB next year with a new team then that will prove to the world what an awful owner and GM Jerry is. Most of us Cowboy fans already know it.
PA, there is a rather large faction here that would never give credit to Garrett, if he did win one. They would find other elements to attribute it to rather than back off on him. Like some think he torpedoed Phillips with really no evidence of that, it is not unusual for players to get off their butts when a new sheriff shows up.

I do not need Garrett to win anything to prove to me what an awful owner Booger is, I can look at the GM and his track record to prove that.

I do not hold out any hope for the next HC but I do welcome change. Specifically, on our little gathering here. I am so tired of discussing him and looking at him, I need fresh meat.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
100% agreed.

I made a post a few weeks back and still believe it holds truth.

Garrett is a good coach in a smaller market. Browns, Titans, Lions, Buccaneers etc. Teams with lesser expectations year in and year out. Teams that are happy to make a playoff and win a game here and there.

He just don’t belong in a big market. Dallas, New England, Pittsburgh etc. where expectations are super bowl or a bad season.
And, yet, these talking heads that suggest Garrett will be in demand for other coaching jobs, have blasted him for his game-day management, his predictable offense and being a puppet for Jones

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Hey Trent. Being you're far from an expert in any category. Here's what the real experts, the Dallas Cowboys fans have to say.

So you can have him for your #1 candidate.

kuyyo_morro

Reaction score
We havent been to NFCCG since 25 years but expectations are super bowl. Comedy gold.

mardwin

Reaction score
I believe Marvin Lewis won 4 division titles with the Bengals that's a higher accomplishment that Garrett's.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I believe Marvin Lewis won 4 division titles with the Bengals that's a higher accomplishment that Garrett's.
The only thing Lewis couldn't do was win playoff games. Overall I think he is a better coach than Garrett. At least he was more accomplished before he became a HC.

willia451

Reaction score
So? So what?

Everybody that knows anything knows the core problem is not Garrett. It's the Country Club, entitled, corporate atmosphere that permeates everything in Dallas.

You know. I wish Garrett all the best in his new position. I'm sure he'll be fine. But he needs to be gone from Dallas. Next man up.

Maybe he can do something.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are you saying he is a master in BS?:)
He's a politician and quite comfortable and good at it. He can talk for 30 minutes and not really say anything.

He learned that from Aikman and there's a reason he came riding in to help Romo when he started burying himself with his mouth. Aikman was the absolute master at giving the local media nothing to work with and Romo started to learn that from Aikman and Garrett, who had learned that from Aikman. Do Not Feed the Animals.

We can say a lot of things about Garrett but the one word that will never apply is inconsistent, same damned message for 10 years and he never broke. No Herm Edwards, Mike Ditka, Dennis Green or Jim Mora moment for him, you will see no Coors Light sound bites from Garrett.

His cool and calm demeanor is one reason he will get job offers, Jason Garrett is all about image. I'll bet he worked the room unlike any other HC in NFL history at those owners' meetings and the word was he even got a standing ovation from some with his address concerning the PI review when he invoked " the integrity of the NFL". The rule will most likely go away this off season but Garrett will not.

Reaction score
He’s incredibly well regarded in NFL coaching/GM circles. And the fact is there are not a lot of coaches available with 3-4 division titles on their resume.
Yeah, he's God's gift to coaching.

Fanbases want no part of him. Giants fans I know almost vomit at the thought of him being their HC. Eag,es fans desperately want him to stay in Dallas.

Whoever hires him has to sell him to their fanbases. Good luck with that. Among fans, he's a laughingstock.