Trent Dilfer: If Cowboys fire Garrett, he'll be No. 1 candidate NFL Jobs for

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
If this is anywhere close to being true, why is a former average QB making this claim instead of actual owners and/or GMs? The only one of the latter type people who publicly said such is the guy who hired him.

Garrett is an average head coach as his record indicates. Average people are not highly sought after or #1 on people’s radars who want success.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So? So what?

Everybody that knows anything knows the core problem is not Garrett. It's the Country Club, entitled, corporate atmosphere that permeates everything in Dallas.

You know. I wish Garrett all the best in his new position. I'm sure he'll be fine. But he needs to be gone from Dallas. Next man up.

Maybe he can do something.
willia, how fitting that the team is corporate because that's what the town they're named after is known for. Dallas is all about image and so are the Cowboys and their HC.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I call BS!!!!!!!! Garrett will never be a HC again, unless we are talking High School.
I wouldn't put any money on that.

Usually, these talking heads run with something, Dilfer probably already knows which team(s) are interested. The NFL is very poor at keeping secrets.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m not sure most fans really know how to measure a HC beyond the results of the team?

Most fans assume if the team suks the HC does.

Sadly the measurement in Dallas is still championships regardless the talent level we have.

I haven’t seen a championship level team here during Garretts tenure.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And, yet, these talking heads that suggest Garrett will be in demand for other coaching jobs, have blasted him for his game-day management, his predictable offense and being a puppet for Jones
That doesn't mean he won't get another HC gig. Look at John Fox. He gets embarrassed by his own QB ignoring him as he came off the field and lands a job in CHI for his 3rd HC job. Turner has had 11 NFL jobs, after being on a SB team 26 years ago and has never been back.

The NFL recycles. The devil you know is preferable to most of the teams. The hot thing was hiring a young coordinator because of McVay's success, we'll see if the bloom is off the rose with their season this year.

Show me the HC that is as comfortable at the mic as Garrett. He's cool, calm and collected and image counts in every business and in the NFL is it not what you know but who you know and he knows all of them.

I think that those of us that have spent any appreciable time around the white collar business world know Garrett's. I have seen them ascend to heights I could not fathom.

"The Peter Principle" is a non fiction book and I have seen proof of that more times than I care to count. And he might just be a textbook case.

817Gill

Reaction score
He’s incredibly well regarded in NFL coaching/GM circles. And the fact is there are not a lot of coaches available with 3-4 division titles on their resume.
So sad how few high quality coaches there are. That being said I think JG’s media/NFL friendships keep his reputation higher than his coaching does.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not sure most fans really know how to measure a HC beyond the results of the team?

Most fans assume if the team suks the HC does.

Sadly the measurement in Dallas is still championships regardless the talent level we have.

I haven’t seen a championship level team here during Garretts tenure.
I haven't seen one here since Johnson built it. We should have done better the two times we had homefield but that doesn't mean championship.

The major obstacle here is debating talent with those that judge with the uniform in mind. When I saw those "this is the most talented team in the league" threads, I felt we were headed for deep water. It is not the most talented because it beats up on the least talented. Anyone takes a really good look at that secondary can't put this team in the top 6 talent wise.

It's funny, there was talk about LSU not deserving the 1 seed until they played the 4 seed, which was crazy since they played the toughest schedule since the CFP began 6 years ago. Just can't keep those Buckeyes fans down.

The one thing that I do take pride in here is the ability to remain objective and see it for what it really is. I gave up on seeing it like I'd like to see it some time ago. This team isn't my children, I am willing to overlook their faults.

And not holding these players accountable for their play on the field is exactly what they want. Just like Lawrence's whining "we've got no direction". Hey moron, the QB is dead ahead.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Finally, some common sense and willingness to express what should be obvious to all. Coaching the Cowboys with Jerry Jones as meddling GM and carnival barker is an impossible situation. I would argue however that this coaching change only serves to provide an appearance of motion,,, the true problem still remains.
That's been the case since Johnson. Even Bill Parcell couldn't coach how he needed to.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Yeah, he's God's gift to coaching.

Fanbases want no part of him. Giants fans I know almost vomit at the thought of him being their HC. Eag,es fans desperately want him to stay in Dallas.

Whoever hires him has to sell him to their fanbases. Good luck with that. Among fans, he's a laughingstock.
And he sure isn't going to be given a decade to try to turn his next team around.