News: Trevor Lawrence and the Jags have agreed to a 5-year, $275M extension

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Dak is not an elite QB. He's not Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady. Or Dan Marino. Everyone on the planet knows this. You talk about not knowing football? You sound like someone that thought changing the pressure in a football gave a competitive advantage. That issue alone told everyone who did and didn't play football. Dak is a middling QB that needs allstar talent around him to look even decent. No way he's worth 60M a year. Maybe half that if you want to win a championship.
He didn’t have all star talent around him last year. Did you watch the GB game? Did you see how they got manhandled along the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball? You haters are so blind from your hate it’s funny.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Some people on or outside this site ignore or do not understand basic economics. And 'slowly learning' means finally accepting every 'merit-based pay' argument should disappear from that person's own talking points. If-and-until that happens, no learning has happened and the "I'm shocked!", "No way!", "Wow!" interpretations shall continue.
this 100%, supply and demand for dummies would be a good place to start....short supply creates high demand which creates....and then add on top its one of the MOST unique markets ever created since there are only 32 spots....only 1 can win...the pressure is built in to this market.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I stole the phrase from Twitter.

Mahomes and Josh Allen are tractor QBs. Kirk Cousins and Dak are trailer QBs.

I doubt there are more than five legit tractor QBs in the league right now. Guys who could take any offense you gave them, good bad or indifferent, and carry them to a bunch of wins. Mahomes, Lamar, Allen, Burrow... anyone else?

CJ Stroud's on that cut line, he definitely made a morsel into a meal with Houston. Herbert's shown that level of ability, but he can't translate it into wins because the Chargers are cursed to lose. I'd say Lawrence is right there with those two.

This is so wrong on so many levels. For starters, not even Mahomes can take any offense you give them and win a SB. SMDH.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
This is so wrong on so many levels. For starters, not even Mahomes can take any offense you give them and win a SB. SMDH.
He didn't say SB, he said a bunch of wins with "any offense." But if you look at last year's data, it tracks with Mahommes. There were all indications that KC was about to be eclipsed. Their fans were talking about conspiracy when they didn't get calls, they weren't the #1 seed, etc. and looking very beatable at 11-6. But they then went on to win AT Buffalo and AT Baltimore in the playoffs to make the SB and win it all. They played all tough teams in the playoffs (11+ wins) and got perfect results. Threw 6 TDs, only 1 INT and contributed 141 rushing yards in their playoff push. They don't win it without him. He's a difference-maker QB. If they voted on MVP after the playoffs he was it.

jwitten82

Reaction score
I keep seeing social media posts saying Tua is next, but im sorry the Dolphins would be absolutely stupid to sign him that amount or higher. He's had a serious injury history, he's had Waddle and Hill for two years together and his best season was last year at 29tds and 14 ints. Dak and Cousins are better than Tua and it's not really close right now

jwitten82

Reaction score
Lol quit trying to act like has been dealt some terrible hand in his career. News flash, he hasnt.

MajesticRey

Reaction score
I get your point, but the issue you are not considering is just how much the money the NFL makes every year with tickets, media rights, streaming, ect...

We are talking billions and billions of dollars going to a group of 32 owners.

Why should those 32 owners get to keep all that money when it is the players on the field that are tearing ACLs, breaking bones, getting concussions, ect...all while those 32 billionaires watch from their luxury skyboxes?

I dont blame the players one bit for getting as much money as they can because as soon as their bodies break down, guess what, they are just replaced with younger, healthier versions. The players literally are treated like they are disposable.
I get that owners make a ton of money but they’re also SPENDING a lot of money to keep everything running. Players have to pay what, a commission to their agents (boo hoo)? Their medical, travel etc. is all paid for by their employers.

I agree that players should be compensated for putting their bodies through the ringer, but the fact that the average running back who takes a pounding every time he touches the ball gets maybe 2M/year while a QB gets 50M is criminal.

I’d be an advocate for the minimum salaries to be HIGHER, while also implementing a maximum salary for every position.

Like make it all positions make at least 2-3M per year, with a max of 25-30M.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
At $55 Mil a year, he will absolutely have inferior talent around him moving forward.
They've spent a lot to put pieces around him. He still wasn't very impressive. May be it's like Herbert where he's beign signed due to potential and the hype around him?

Swagger

Reaction score
If you don't know the answer, I can't help you
Well Lawrence is 7 years younger than Prescott and this is his first big contract which is actually team friendly given it's 5 years adding to the current 2 years allowing it to be spread over 7 years.

Lawrence has shown moments of class in an average/bad team.

I don't really see the relevance towards Prescott.

Goff is more a relevant comparison being from the same draft class although one has played in a Superbowl and had some impressive playoff performances whilst the other is Dak Prescott.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
If the owners are making more money the players deserve their cut. It all seems a little ridiculous to me. You grind for every dollar you make, and you see these athletes getting hundreds of millions for playing a sport that they probably love doing. I am not a big contributor to that. If someone invites me, or gives me tickets I'll go, but I'm not going to pay for it. Everything is so expensive, and people are making more and more money yet this country keeps growing more, and more in debt every passing day. Something is going to give eventually.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
This is a smart move by the Jags. He's going into his 4th year......there was no way in hell they weren't giving him a 2nd contract. Why not do it as early as possible coz IF he's your future, his numbers are going up yearly. Three years from now, this deal could be cheap.
We agree...it's the smart FISCAL move. Not sure it's the best FOOTBALL move...to be determined.

I've had an eye on Trevor and I've been disappointed at times...not seeing "it" consistently. Hate to say it...and I know he's had more talent and a scheme customized for him...but I've seen more "it" from Purdy than Lawrence.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Well Lawrence is 7 years younger than Prescott and this is his first big contract which is actually team friendly given it's 5 years adding to the current 2 years allowing it to be spread over 7 years.

Lawrence has shown moments of class in an average/bad team.

I don't really see the relevance towards Prescott.

Goff is more a relevant comparison being from the same draft class although one has played in a Superbowl and had some impressive playoff performances whilst the other is Dak Prescott.
:huh: what does this have to do with anything? Considering the hype ( best QB since Luck ) and where he was drafted, he has been a disappointment. Let me get this right, do you think Dak should get less than Lawrence?

FanofJerry

Reaction score
:huh: what does this have to do with anything? Considering the hype ( best QB since Luck ) and where he was drafted, he has been a disappointment. Let me get this right, do you think Dak should get less than Lawrence?
The new, go-to answer I am seeing to this question is "Yes. Trevor is 24 and Dak is 31. Dak hasnt won anything in 9 years so why pay him?"

Lol

The side stepping and moving of goal posts hahaha....latch on to any excuse and try to sell that puppy smh

Swagger

Reaction score
At this stage in their respective careers. Yes, of course.

Prescott has had far better teams at his disposal than Lawrence yet despite being in the league for what is it now, 8 or 9 years, he has been unable to even reach the NFC Championship game with good teams capable of playing in a Superbowl (not last season before you snap back banging about the defense not mentioning the 14 points Prescott handed to the Pack) - the two seasons prior the Cowboy teams were definitely capable of reaching a Superbowl with a QB who was able to perform to a competent standard.

Prescott has been a failure and he isn't going to suddenly improve in the play offs - his performances have progressively got worse over the past three years.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score

Prescott has had far better teams at his disposal than Lawrence yet despite being in the league for what is it now, 8 or 9 years, he has been unable to even reach the NFC Championship game with good teams capable of playing in a Superbowl (not last season before you snap back banging about the defense not mentioning the 14 points Prescott handed to the Pack) - the two seasons prior the Cowboy teams were definitely capable of reaching a Superbowl with a QB who was able to perform to a competent standard.

Prescott has been a failure and he isn't going to suddenly improve in the play offs - his performances have progressively got worse over the past three years.
Why is he still on the Cowboys roster. McCarthy can cut him and the Cowboys owe him nothing. Is the team going to pay him $29 million simply to secure a 3rd round compensatory draft choice in 2026? Wouldn’t it make more sense to get started on the team’s future without Dak at quarterback, if he cannot lead the team to success in the playoffs?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Are you serious????:lmao: Sooooo .......being a top 2023 MVP voter AND 2nd ALL-Pro doesn't count. He had his best season since his rookie year except for the playoffs.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
The anti-pay excuses have run their course and now defenders are reaching for anything...

smh

this boards psy ops are in shambles