News: Trevor Lawrence and the Jags have agreed to a 5-year, $275M extension

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Guy is 24 playing for a franchise that is a perennial loser but trying to turn it around. You didn’t see enough of that guy in college and in 22 to say he isn’t middle of the pack?
Notice that Lawrence gets no break for playing for a franchise that was bottom of the barrel. Dak however gets the excuse of not having perfection around him

plasticman

Reaction score
One of the trends that have led up to these salaries is the concept of "franchise quarterback". The franchises make a financial commitment that requires the QB to start and so all competition is cut off.

The GM's don't dare acquire a backup with the potential to be better and replace their multi-million dollar investment. There have even been star QB's that were upset about the possibility of potential competition.

As such, there is rarely a backup QB that doesn't represent a serious reduction of productivity. The agents for starting QB's must love this, they can ask for the moon because if that QB sits out then that team's season is probably over before it started.

This would never happen in the era before free agency. Teams were built on a career commitment by each player since they would have to be traded or cut to play elsewhere.

Backup QB's never had the option of going somewhere else after 3-5 seasons. Some teams had up to 3 QB's that could legitimately start.

Steve Spurrier, a Heisman trophy winner and 1967 3rd overall draft pick of the 49ers sat for 9 seasons behind John Brodie before being a full-time starter.

Today, many new QB's get almost zero time to acclimate to the pro game, there is very little development. As a result, the list of viable options for a team that covets a good starting QB immediately is practically non-existent.

jgboys1

Reaction score
Yo just can’t win like this. It’s way better rolling the dice with a young QB and having a solid roster around him. QB’s making 50-60 million per year will have bare bones rosters.
Agree! You need a Mahomes type talent at QB to be able to compete and even then it would be difficult for a team to compete spending all that money on one player.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You guys are slowly learning the truth lol

The QB market does not care what posters think they are worth. GMs and owners do.
Some people on or outside this site ignore or do not understand basic economics. And 'slowly learning' means finally accepting every 'merit-based pay' argument should disappear from that person's own talking points. If-and-until that happens, no learning has happened and the "I'm shocked!", "No way!", "Wow!" interpretations shall continue.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Guy is 24 playing for a franchise that is a perennial loser but trying to turn it around. You didn’t see enough of that guy in college and in 22 to say he isn’t middle of the pack?
What he did in college has zero impact on where I rate him as an NFL QB. In my opinion, his play has been a disappointment in Jacksonville. He is a franchise QB as their established starter, but I would not put him in my top 10.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of the trends that have led up to these salaries is the concept of "franchise quarterback". The franchises make a financial commitment that requires the QB to start and so all competition is cut off.

The GM's don't dare acquire a backup with the potential to be better and replace their multi-million dollar investment. There have even been star QB's that were upset about the possibility of potential competition.

As such, there is rarely a backup QB that doesn't represent a serious reduction of productivity. The agents for starting QB's must love this, they can ask for the moon because if that QB sits out then that team's season is probably over before it started.

This would never happen in the era before free agency. Teams were built on a career commitment by each player since they would have to be traded or cut to play elsewhere.

Backup QB's never had the option of going somewhere else after 3-5 seasons. Some teams had up to 3 QB's that could legitimately start.

Steve Spurrier, a Heisman trophy winner and 1967 3rd overall draft pick of the 49ers sat for 9 seasons behind John Brodie before being a full-time starter.

Today, many new QB's get almost zero time to acclimate to the pro game, there is very little development. As a result, the list of viable options for a team that covets a good starting QB immediately is practically non-existent.
Good post.

jwitten82

Reaction score
What he did in college has zero impact on where I rate him as an NFL QB. In my opinion, his play has been a disappointment in Jacksonville. He is a franchise QB as their established starter, but I would not put him in my top 10.
Exactly, all those accomplishments in college mean nothing. He's entering his fourth season, time to start producing

shabazz

Reaction score
He might be the most overrated qb in this league
We've seen flashes of greatness but nothing sustained for very long.....it's a crap shoot with this guy

However, his upside and ceiling is higher than our #4 and quarterbacks like him so that's what the Jags are banking on.

Dak has played to his ceiling where Trevor hasn't peaked yet....that's the difference in evaluating both of their contracts

Most major investments are based on FUTURE returns....sports are no different

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Exactly, all those accomplishments in college mean nothing. He's entering his fourth season, time to start producing
Yea losing the mvp vote is way more illustrious than going to one of the worst run football orgs and starting to turn things around. Put it thus way, if Dak Prescott was on the Jags he'd be mowing yards or selling you insurance

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
Typical mismanagement by this front office. But I'd way rather have a 3rd rd comp pick than sign Dak to a $55 mil+ contract.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
We've seen flashes of greatness but nothing sustained for very long.....it's a crap shoot with this guy

However, his upside and ceiling is higher than our #4 and quarterbacks like him so that's what the Jags are banking on.

Dak has played to his ceiling where Trevor hasn't peaked yet....that's the difference in evaluating both of their contracts

Agree. Big thing to keep in mind is that Lawrence is still just 24 years old. For reference Dak was 23 his rookie year. Jacksonville has valid reasoning to be optimistic on this guy

Loso86

Reaction score
I have trouble believing he'll get $60. Based on what I'm reading, the two top paid now are Lawrence and Burrow at $55 million per year followed by Jared Goff at $53, Justin Herbert at $52.5 and Lamar Jackson at $52. Some of those QBs have accomplished more than Prescott as far as playoff wins (yes, that's a team stat, but guaranteed it's an individual stat in contract negotiations), so expecting Prescott to reset the market seems a little far-fetched. Now, the argument in his favor is that he's been a better QB than Lawrence up to this point and if those other QBs were getting new contracts now, in today's market, they would get more than Lawrence is. Of course, Dallas can point to the fact that Lawrence is a young QB with growth potential while Prescott is not.
Ifbadallas continues to wait and choose to sign Dak later it will be really close of not at 60

Cowboyny

Reaction score

I remember reading an article prior to last season, where they compared Lawrence/Daniel Jones numbers and they looked identical. Lawrence was suppose to be this can't miss QB prospect and he just hasn't been good at all. Fully understand they have to hope he gets better, but most QB's either hit within the 1st 3 seasons or they don't.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Lawrence didn't get 55 million per starting this year. It's an extension of a contract that still has 2 years to go.

It's not the same as a new contract for next season.

That said, the Jags are still dumb.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I agree he isn’t top 10 but there aren’t many young QBs I would rather have. Jacksonville is a terrible franchise. If he was on Baltimore he would be a stud already.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Notice that Lawrence gets no break for playing for a franchise that was bottom of the barrel. Dak however gets the excuse of not having perfection around him
Exactly! If he was in Baltimore they would probably have won a SB. Jacksonville is terrible. I bet if you line up every QB 25 and younger and ask GMs who they’d want TL would be at the top.

Creeper

Reaction score
That's too much money for a guy who has not shown the ability he was thought to have coming out of college. Mahomes and Burrow showed their ability right away. Lawrence is 3 years in and still just ordinary. He looks a lot like Daniel Jones honestly.

Forneymike

Reaction score
Yo just can’t win like this. It’s way better rolling the dice with a young QB and having a solid roster around him. QB’s making 50-60 million per year will have bare bones rosters.
How many Super Bowl winners recently have had a QB not on a big contract with a stacked team around them? I don't want to just make the game...I want to win the game so please don't give teams who made the SB but didn't win.