News: Trevor Lawrence and the Jags have agreed to a 5-year, $275M extension

Swagger

Reaction score
Why is he still on the Cowboys roster. McCarthy can cut him and the Cowboys owe him nothing. Is the team going to pay him $29 million simply to secure a 3rd round compensatory draft choice in 2026? Wouldn’t it make more sense to get started on the team’s future without Dak at quarterback, if he cannot lead the team to success in the playoffs?
1. Because the front office refuse to cut the apron strings.
2. It would appear so due to #1
3. Yes.

Swagger

Reaction score
Are you serious????:lmao: Sooooo .......being a top 2023 MVP voter AND 2nd ALL-Pro doesn't count. He had his best season since his rookie year except for the playoffs.
Yes.

How many 1st placed votes did Prescott receive for MVP last season?

What are the odds for Prescott in the MVP voting for next season?

"Except for the play offs". Quite just that one minor detail. Hey ho.

Hope this helps.

ghst187

Reaction score
To be clear here TL is a national championship winning QB that is 24. Thought of as one of the best QB prospects in years. Our guy is 31 and has demonstrated expertise in choking during big games. To suggest Dak should get paid anywhere near this is pure stupidity.
We agree, not sure Jerry and Stephen do…

Flamma

Reaction score
He didn’t have all star talent around him last year. Did you watch the GB game? Did you see how they got manhandled along the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball? You haters are so blind from your hate it’s funny.
It was more than that. We had a lack of effort. How are we 12-5 every year with so many bums on both sides of the LOS? A 9-8 team exploited our weakness so easily. How does that make sense? We looked like a team picking in the top 5.

Maybe you're right. Along with everyone else that says we're paper tigers only beating on trash teams.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Ifbadallas continues to wait and choose to sign Dak later it will be really close of not at 60
Maybe if they wait until after this season. This season, the benchmark is around $55 million. No quarterback is making more than that. I could see Dallas going slightly higher just because Lawrence's numbers are not as good, but again, Lawrence is young and possibly still growing while Prescott at this point is what he is. Jacksonville is partially paying for promise. We are not.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Every one of those guys are younger and a couple have made a superb owl. None of them have the worst playoff record in history.
And if they were getting new contracts this season, the Super Bowl QBs would get more than $60 million per year. You've got to look at the market now, and the market says Lawrence, who has been a lesser QB than Dak, is worth $55 million per year. Again, the only real argument for paying Prescott no more than Lawrence got is that Lawrence is younger and may grow while Prescott has established what he is as a player.

And the worst playoff record history is a team achievement, not a QB-only achievement, but certainly the lack of playoff success is something you use in negotiations if necessary.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
I still don’t know why sports players are even allowed to make that much money. Their jobs aren’t nearly as important or skilled as doctors yet the neurosurgeons who spend years in school paying a fortune in tuition (if no scholarship) are lucky to make the same salary as a low-end NFL player.

I get “demand” and everything, but people overvalue give sports way too much. The greed of the sports world is just insane.

Maybe the wording I’m using isn’t the best to describe my sentiment, but you guys are smart - you know what I’m trying to say.
I believe I understand what ur saying...and let me paraphrase if I may:

This is bonkers bro!

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
And the worst playoff record history is a team achievement, not a QB-only achievement
Is Dak Prescott part of that team? Does he play the most i.portant position on the team? If yes then that record is as much his achievement as anyone else.

As for the rest of this claim of the market blah blah, just because a market exists doesn't mean you have to participate. More so when you consider that he is not thr person who is going to be a difference maker when it really matters. So if you think anyone pays any qb that amount for him to beat up crap teams then yea pay him otherwise you don't.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Is Dak Prescott part of that team? Does he play the most i.portant position on the team? If yes then that record is as much his achievement as anyone else.

As for the rest of this claim of the market blah blah, just because a market exists doesn't mean you have to participate. More so when you consider that he is not thr person who is going to be a difference maker when it really matters. So if you think anyone pays any qb that amount for him to beat up crap teams then yea pay him otherwise you don't.
And you can't hold the playoff record against him any more than you hold it against anyone else. Yet so many fans do that. I don't think front offices think the same way fans do. Has Trevor Lawrence showed he's worth $55 million per year? He's got a career rating of 85.0, his team has only made the playoffs once (going 1-1) so far. But the Jaguars are invested in Lawrence, so they are going to pay him what the market dictates.

And yes, NFL front offices have shown us over and over again that the market does matter. Prescott has consistently ranked among the NFL's top 10 and was one of the top QBs in the league last year statistically. I don't mind Dallas choosing to move on, but if they choose to pay him, they are going to pay him market value. Anyone expecting less than that is fooling themselves.

Flamma

Reaction score
I still don’t know why sports players are even allowed to make that much money. Their jobs aren’t nearly as important or skilled as doctors yet the neurosurgeons who spend years in school paying a fortune in tuition (if no scholarship) are lucky to make the same salary as a low-end NFL player.

I get “demand” and everything, but people overvalue give sports way too much. The greed of the sports world is just insane.

Maybe the wording I’m using isn’t the best to describe my sentiment, but you guys are smart - you know what I’m trying to say.
Importance or your skill level only go so far. Think of the money stream. Are you adding to it? Or are you subtracting from it? Police and teachers are very important. But they are subtracting. They're not making anyone any money. They're taking money for a service.

If you provide a service which makes your employer money. The more money they make, the more money you'll make.

You can't not allow someone to make a certain amount of money. Because someone will always pay it anyway. Interestingly enough, the King of England tried to do that back in the 14th century when peasants were in high demand due to there being so few of them after the plague. Of course it didn't work.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It was more than that. We had a lack of effort. How are we 12-5 every year with so many bums on both sides of the LOS? A 9-8 team exploited our weakness so easily. How does that make sense? We looked like a team picking in the top 5.

Maybe you're right. Along with everyone else that says we're paper tigers only beating on trash teams.
No it’s not more than that. It’s football 101. When you’re getting physically dominated you get the lack of effort.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
And you can't hold the playoff record against him any more than you hold it against anyone else. Yet so many fans do that. I don't think front offices think the same way fans do. Has Trevor Lawrence showed he's worth $55 million per year? He's got a career rating of 85.0, his team has only made the playoffs once (going 1-1) so far. But the Jaguars are invested in Lawrence, so they are going to pay him what the market dictates.

And yes, NFL front offices have shown us over and over again that the market does matter. Prescott has consistently ranked among the NFL's top 10 and was one of the top QBs in the league last year statistically. I don't mind Dallas choosing to move on, but if they choose to pay him, they are going to pay him market value. Anyone expecting less than that is fooling themselves.
Lawrence has also been playing on flawed teams. Like you said, so many fans judge all failures on the QB. It’s really ignorant.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score

I can do whatever I want. Secondly, Daks performances have in very real terms hurt the franchise in playoff games. From his stupid running out the clock because he ran the ball and refused to go out of bounds to the interception and dumb decisions that have caused him to eat sacks that took points off the board. So yea, I can put a lot of that horrific record on him, he worked hard ( or not at all) to earn that.

Flamma

Reaction score
No it’s not more than that. It’s football 101. When you’re getting physically dominated you get the lack of effort.
Do you realize what you're saying? You're describing situations that happen in high school and college. Are you saying this 9-8 team did that to us? Because if that's true, that's the worst case scenario.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He didn’t have all star talent around him last year. Did you watch the GB game? Did you see how they got manhandled along the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball? You haters are so blind from your hate it’s funny.
Ummm…

Dak had 4 All-Pro/Pro-Bowl Linemen (FOUR!) and an All-Pro WR around him last year.

Now, please tell me again how he didn’t have all star talent around him last year?

Geez! :facepalm:

Flamma

Reaction score
Lawrence has also been playing on flawed teams. Like you said, so many fans judge all failures on the QB. It’s really ignorant.
Yeah, just like people saying the QB on Carolina is a bust. He's on a terrible team. Did people think Aikman was a bust in '89?

gimmesix

Reaction score
Yeah, just like people saying the QB on Carolina is a bust. He's on a terrible team. Did people think Aikman was a bust in '89?
If social media had been what it is today, there's no doubt he would have been called one. I know there were calls back then to let Walsh start instead of Aikman the next year since Walsh led us to our only victory.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I can do whatever I want. Secondly, Daks performances have in very real terms hurt the franchise in playoff games. From his stupid running out the clock because he ran the ball and refused to go out of bounds to the interception and dumb decisions that have caused him to eat sacks that took points off the board. So yea, I can put a lot of that horrific record on him, he worked hard ( or not at all) to earn that.
Ok. You have fun doing whatever you want.

Flamma

Reaction score
Ummm…

Dak had 4 All-Pro/Pro-Bowl Linemen (FOUR!) and an All-Pro WR around him last year.

Now, please tell me again how he didn’t have all star talent around him last year?

Geez! :facepalm:
Dak reminds me of one hall of fame QB. But only in one regard. This hall of fame QB absolutely sucked when he got down a few scores. During the regular season with the Green Bay Packers he never once came back from being down by 14 points. That would be Brett Favre. He would just make matters worse.

And that is the only comparison I can make between the two.