News: Trevor Lawrence and the Jags have agreed to a 5-year, $275M extension

Loso86

Reaction score
Maybe if they wait until after this season. This season, the benchmark is around $55 million. No quarterback is making more than that. I could see Dallas going slightly higher just because Lawrence's numbers are not as good, but again, Lawrence is young and possibly still growing while Prescott at this point is what he is. Jacksonville is partially paying for promise. We are not.
Sir I'm sorry but it's the Market and at this point as long as your a formidable starting QB your going to get a Fat contract. Dal and Adam's camp has already said they don't plan on doing anything during the season

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This is not how the NFL works.............using your definition, no more than a handfull of QBs would ever get paid, but that is not what we are seeing in the NFL.

Is Josh Allen elite?
Is Lamar Jackson elite?
Is Jared Golf elite?
Is Trevor Lawrence elite?
Is Justin Herbert elite?
Is Jalen Hurts elite?

All these QBs above have gotten new mega contracts, literally all of them in the hundreds of millions of dollars. I would argue that none of them are on the same level as Rodgers, Manning, or Brady, yet they all got paid. That is how the system works under the current CBA the owners agreed to. You dont have to be one of the best QBs of all time to get paid, that thinking is just fantasy land. And Dak, like the others above, will indeed get paid a market contract as well. Maybe with Dallas, maybe by somebody else, but he will be getting paid by somebody because his salary this year is $45 million. How do you think he would not make more than that if he could negotiate with every team in the league. That makes no sense.
So true.......once an NFL QB establishes himself as a legit starter before signing his 2nd contract, he will get paid. In other words, a team drafting a future franchise QB has three options at the end of his rookie contract
  • franchise tag.....they think he is worthy of 2nd big deal but wanna see more
  • trade......see Justin Field or Bake Mayfield or Trey Lance or even Goff
  • Pay him......if he is your starter AND long-term future, you have to pay him market value to keep him ( tag a couple of times )
Sidenotes
* The Rams traded ( gave up ) Jarr Goff rather than paying him the cost of a huge 2nd contract.
* The Dolphins were this close to moving on from Tua 3 years ago but have now decided on his future ( $50-50M )
* The Packers had doubts about Love after his first year as a starter......but he's going to get paid

Flamma

Reaction score
Hospitals charge patients (or at least their insurances) crazy amounts of money for surgeries/medical procedures. There is money to be made there…

However, the sports world is just unnecessarily greedy. Fans don’t need to be charged hundreds of dollars for crappy seats just so the teams can pay average QBs 40+ million dollars a year.
What I absolutely despise, paying for parking. But you're getting into a different area of greed. People would be paying those prices regardless. I'll give you an example.

Say I have a stadium and charge X amount per seat. My stadium is sold out every night. Even if I wasn't paying athletes or performers anything, what would be my motivation to lower prices?

Prices will be set as high as possible, just as long as people keep paying for it, they can only go higher. Trust me, it's not because they're paying QBs 40+ million. This isn't just sports either.

Flamma

Reaction score
I do think they improved in that area. Both Guyton and Bebee are suppose to be “don’t take no ****” players. So yes, it did wake up the FO. Where have you been?
That's two rookies on one side of the ball that haven't played a snap. My guess is one of them doesn't even start this year. What about on the defensive side of the ball? Where they just ran right through us?

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I haven't read the whole thread but I'll just say this. I suspect Lawrence's contract is structured so that the hit isn't that big at first. Once it is, watch the Jags shed players left and right and fade into a perennial 7-10 team.

The league is set up to be dominated by Mahomes and whatever few hotshot QB's are around on their rookie deals (CJ Stroud for now, Purdy) for a while.

Flamma

Reaction score
I haven't read the whole thread but I'll just say this. I suspect Lawrence's contract is structured so that the hit isn't that big at first. Once it is, watch the Jags shed players left and right and fade into a perennial 7-10 team.

The league is set up to be dominated by Mahomes and whatever few hotshot QB's are around on their rookie deals (CJ Stroud for now, Purdy) for a while.
That's the smart part about giving him that extension with 2 rookie years left on his contract. They now have 7 years to spread out his 5 year contract. They have at minimum a 2 year window.

I just looked at his contract. They have a legit 3 year window. After that it gets iffy, then goes to absurd.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the system the NFL owners agreed to under the current CBA, which does not expire until 2031.

No material changes can be made to the CBA prior to 2031, without NFLPA ratification.
Just wanted to place more emphasis on the information you provided. The current collective bargaining agreement is a 31-year-old modification of the original, that began in 1993, and has been re-agreed upon by owners and the NFLPA in 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011 and 2020.

Just like any agreement, labor language has been added to and subtracted from the CBA over the decades. However, the provisions for the league's salary cap and free agency have remained essentially the same.

As you stated, the CBA will not be changed until the owners and players union come to an agreement for a new CBA after the current one ends. That said, there is extremely little reason for anyone to believe the salary cap and free agency system will get tinkered with by either party at that time.

The last 'major' adjustment was done for incoming rookie salaries. Basically, the union deferred to amending the agreement because they--e.g. veterans--did not agree on the logic of players entering the league and making comparative or larger compensation before taking a single snap.

Under a hard cap structure, any restriction placed upon one position, say, veteran quarterbacks, would invariably be assigned to other positions as well in some form. The owners would love that. The players? Their agreement is exceedingly doubtful. Career longevity is typically short for most players. Players gun for pocketing the most money they can get before their time runs out.

Quarterback salaries may start leveling off after 2031. I wish I was from Missouri. The owners must show me they would stop whipping out their checkbooks for me to believe it.

stinkface

Reaction score
At no point has he ever looked as good as Dak. He’s played three full seasons and hasn’t looked very impressive. The only thing Lawrence does well is toss his hair around.
Look at his 2022 stats. 25 TDs and 8 Int. Over 4100 yards passing. QB rating 95.2 That's not a bad year. He was 22 years old at the time. He is more then a hair tosser.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He didn’t have all star talent around him last year. Did you watch the GB game? Did you see how they got manhandled along the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball? You haters are so blind from your hate it’s funny.
Ummm…

Dak had 4 All-Pro/Pro-Bowl Linemen (FOUR!) and an All-Pro WR around him last year.

Now, please tell me again how he didn’t have all star talent around him last year?

Geez! :facepalm:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Look at his 2022 stats. 25 TDs and 8 Int. Over 4100 yards passing. QB rating 95.2 That's not a bad year. He was 22 years old at the time. He is more than a hair tosser.
That was in 2022. His numbers dropped last season in every category. His yards, TDs, completion percentage and passer rating all dropped last season. The only thing that went up was his INTs and they were almost double from 2022. Are you telling me you would have been happy with his numbers last season and thought he was worth $55M per season?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
That's two rookies on one side of the ball that haven't played a snap. My guess is one of them doesn't even start this year. What about on the defensive side of the ball? Where they just ran right through us?
Well, I showed you how they addressed it with the 2 offensive line draft picks. You must’ve missed the draft. On the defensive side, they fired their DC, hired a no nonsense DC in Mike Zimmer and improved at the LB position. DT is still a huge question mark. But yeah, they got tougher and meaner and I hope it rubs off on Parsons.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Beating an 8-9 team is not what most folks would consider a signature win.
Heck, I'll give it to you though.
Now 2 more?
Gonna be tough as Dakko only beats up on dogs but see if you can find them as after all you want us to extend him for 50+ million a year.
When you have to defend a guy by claiming that he came 2nd is MVP voting you already know that you are dealing with a loser. Signature wins, hey, give me any playoff loss in the last 8 years where Dak Prescott didn't hurt his team?

stinkface

Reaction score
That was in 2022. His numbers dropped last season in every category. His yards, TDs, completion percentage and passer rating all dropped last season. The only thing that went up was his INTs and they were almost double from 2022. Are you telling me you would have been happy with his numbers last season and thought he was worth $55M per season?
Your exact words were " He’s played three full seasons and hasn’t looked very impressive" and that is far from true.

Anyway, as far as salary goes, its almost like a Union Scale now. That's what the top 10 QBs are going to make and many folks have him in the top 10 and that is partially based on potential given his age. BTW, he is the only QB drafted in the first round when he came out that has done anything at all. The rest have been pure trash and none of those are with the team that drafted him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Your exact words were " He’s played three full seasons and hasn’t looked very impressive" and that is far from true.

Anyway, as far as salary goes, its almost like a Union Scale now. That's what the top 10 QBs are going to make and many folks have him in the top 10 and that is partially based on potential given his age. BTW, he is the only QB drafted in the first round when he came out that has done anything at all. The rest have been pure trash and none of those are with the team that drafted him.
What has he done that’s impressive? He’s 10
games under 500 and has only led the Jags to the playoffs once in three seasons and is 1-1. He only has 58 career TD passes in three seasons. No one would think anything of him if he wasn’t the number one overall pick three years ago. Do you think he’s worth $55M per season? That puts him with Joe Burrow as the highest paid QB in the league.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
If the Cowboys plan on extending Dak, their unwillingness to pull the trigger before the next escalation is no surprise.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Sir I'm sorry but it's the Market and at this point as long as your a formidable starting QB your going to get a Fat contract. Dal and Adam's camp has already said they don't plan on doing anything during the season
$60 million is not the market. No QB is making that average per year. Dak would be resetting the market to get that.