News: Trevor Lawrence and the Jags have agreed to a 5-year, $275M extension

FLWarpigrpig

Reaction score
What people are missing when comparing Dak to this contract. Let's assume Dak signs a 5 year deal.
-Dak already costs what 45 million or so on the cap AFTER his current deal expires. This means that money will be added to any new money over 5 years.
TL has a 5 year Extension added to his 2 year contract. Any signing bonus is spread out over 7 years. His salaries for the remainder of his rookie deal can now be converted to bonus if the team wants to.

TL new Extension is much cheaper and team friendly compared to any deal Dak signs. The only way to really pay him is to again add void years (cap cancer)

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
5 for 275 and sime thi k Dak won't get 60 a year lmao
I have trouble believing he'll get $60. Based on what I'm reading, the two top paid now are Lawrence and Burrow at $55 million per year followed by Jared Goff at $53, Justin Herbert at $52.5 and Lamar Jackson at $52. Some of those QBs have accomplished more than Prescott as far as playoff wins (yes, that's a team stat, but guaranteed it's an individual stat in contract negotiations), so expecting Prescott to reset the market seems a little far-fetched. Now, the argument in his favor is that he's been a better QB than Lawrence up to this point and if those other QBs were getting new contracts now, in today's market, they would get more than Lawrence is. Of course, Dallas can point to the fact that Lawrence is a young QB with growth potential while Prescott is not.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I still don’t know why sports players are even allowed to make that much money. Their jobs aren’t nearly as important or skilled as doctors yet the neurosurgeons who spend years in school paying a fortune in tuition (if no scholarship) are lucky to make the same salary as a low-end NFL player.

I get “demand” and everything, but people overvalue give sports way too much. The greed of the sports world is just insane.

Maybe the wording I’m using isn’t the best to describe my sentiment, but you guys are smart - you know what I’m trying to say.
It always comes down to what we value. We love to be entertained, so entertainment rakes in the revenue and those who do the entertaining get rewarded mightily for it. If we could turn teaching into the most-watched program on TV, then teachers would be getting paid like athletes. It is a sad commentary but also just the way things work in a capitalist society.

I can't blame the networks for wanting the billions in ad revenue, the owners wanting the networks to pay out the wazoo for the rights to get that ad revenue or the players for wanting their share of what the networks pay (and other NFL revenue streams).

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
These contracts are getting out of hand. It doesn't even matter anymore if the QB is elite or deserving, it's just a "next man up is the highest paid" type of deal now. Over-inflates the QB market, and makes it hard for teams to keep their rosters together. Is TL really worth the same/more than Mahomes? Hell no! Really wish NFL would put a cap on the QB contracts kinda like how the rookies get.
Putting a cap on salaries by position is not going to happen anytime soon, the current CBA does not expire until 2030.

Any material change in the CBA before 2030 must be approved by the NFLPA.

Problem is, what is the NFL going to offer the NFLPA for them to accept a cap on certain positions (like QB)?

Maybe eliminate 5th year options so every player is a free agent after 4 seasons? Maybe do away with franchise tags? Maybe a higher percentage of league revenue? I dont know, but what I do know is that the NFLPA is not going to accept any financial caps unless they are getting something of equal or greater value in return.

gimmesix

Reaction score

Just don't see it. That's $5 million per year above the current highest-paid QB. That's a big jump. The only way I could see us doing that is if it lowered the guarantees and put more non-guaranteed money on the back end that will never be paid.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Many pundits think this is why Dak will not sign a new contract with Dallas This year. I can guarantee you his agent and anyone else advising him is telling him not to sign. He can play out this year at a near the top contract. Then he hits free agency, and there is absolutely nothing Dallas can do about it. He will be able to sign with any team he wishes, and the desperate teams will drive up the price.

Unless Dak wants to take a top of the market contract now, which would be doing the team a favor and sacrificing millions, the Cowboys only options will be:
  1. Outbid other teams and pay Dak an enormous contract. They can afford it because the CAP continues to skyrocket, but this is a mess of their own creation when they franchised him instead of resigning him early and then giving him all the power in his new contract just to save a few bucks.
  2. They can let him walk and content themselves with a compensatory draft pick and once again be the laughing stock of the NFL. Even if they luck into another franchise QB somehow, putting themselves in a position where they can’t even recoup value in a trade and watching him walk for nothing but a 3rd round pick will go down in history like the Hershall Walker trade is linked to the Vikings.
Even fans who hate Dak for whatever reason and will be happy when he’s gone have to admit that the Jones boys have been taken to the woodshed, but they foolishly skipped there with smiles on their faces. If Dak resigns before playing out his 2024 contract year for any amount of money, it will be clear that he loves the Dallas Cowboys more than what’s best for him personally.

I‘ll bet every member of the NFLPA who isn’t a Cowboy is praying he will play out this year and become a free agent. It will be the ultimate player wins against the owner scenario.
These are some good points bro.

Look, regardless of if you hate Dak or love Dak, I think we all can agree that the Cowboys have really screwed up here.

If Dak is not in the plans for the future, then a trade he would agree to should have been worked out with somebody so the Cowboys could have walked away with some value, even a single 1st round pick would be better than the current situation.

If Dak is in the plans, he should have been signed by now since the price is going up and up every day. First it was $50 a year, then it was $55 a year, now we are talking about $60 a year. You wait till next year when Dak hit unrestricted free agency, you could be looking at possibly $65 or $70 a year if you get 10 or more teams in an open bidding war.

Cowboys have really FUBAR'ed this entire situation in my opinion.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Why? Seriously why? Dak has proven time and again he can’t win a big game. It’s undeniable. He is 31. No team will pay him that salary.
No team in the NFL will pay Dak $55 a year on the open market?

Dak will be the highest rated QB to hit unrestricted free agency in like forever.

31 yrs old, but QB can play into their 40s nowadays, very durable with only 1 major injury in his entire career, multiple probowls, runner up MVP, won Man of the Year award for charity work.

If you guys dont think out of 32 teams, at least one would offer Dak $55 a year or more, then y'all are severely underestimating how desperate NFL teams are for QBs.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

On the open market, I could easily see Dak getting $60 a year...............probably not from the Cowboys, but from somebody if there is an open bidding war with 10-12 teams.

And for those that say Dak will never get paid like this, there is a saying in the investment world. "The value of an assett is soley determined by what somebody is willing to pay for it".

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Look im no fan of Dak, but no way in hell would I take less than Lawrence if I was Dak. Lawrence is entering his fourth season, what he did in college and all that "potential " means nothing, it's time to start producing. Lawrence was bad last season, and absolutely choked that last game against the Titans away where he overthrew receivers several times, he cost them a playoff spot last season
Exactly.

Dak would be stupid to take less money than Lawrence, go look at career stats and you will see Lawrence has never had a season anywhere near what Dak had last year.

If I was Dak, I would laugh in the Cowboy's face if they tried to low ball me with an offer below Lawrence. I would say, "no thanks, I will test free agency next year".

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I still don’t know why sports players are even allowed to make that much money. Their jobs aren’t nearly as important or skilled as doctors yet the neurosurgeons who spend years in school paying a fortune in tuition (if no scholarship) are lucky to make the same salary as a low-end NFL player.

I get “demand” and everything, but people overvalue give sports way too much. The greed of the sports world is just insane.

Maybe the wording I’m using isn’t the best to describe my sentiment, but you guys are smart - you know what I’m trying to say.
I get your point, but the issue you are not considering is just how much the money the NFL makes every year with tickets, media rights, streaming, ect...

We are talking billions and billions of dollars going to a group of 32 owners.

Why should those 32 owners get to keep all that money when it is the players on the field that are tearing ACLs, breaking bones, getting concussions, ect...all while those 32 billionaires watch from their luxury skyboxes?

I dont blame the players one bit for getting as much money as they can because as soon as their bodies break down, guess what, they are just replaced with younger, healthier versions. The players literally are treated like they are disposable.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Well.......Dak's numbers just went up....again (lol)
The pertinent part on the Lawrence deal (relating to us and Dak).....is the 5th years. If Dak takes 5 years then $55m's fine.

If it's 5 years you dont have to pay a large proportion of the guaranteed money as signing bonus (which can only be spread over 5 years).....what you do is pay the signing bonus and then guaranteed salary in yr 3 which can be spread into Void years.

The other factor, which I cant find in any reports, is a NTC, which makes a (potential) difference with any Dak contract.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Hell, he still had 2 years left on his rookie deal.......my goodness

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id/72380/trevor-lawrence
Yep, without a NTC that's a good deal for the Jags. It's got him under control for 7 years and by the time this contract kicks in he's paid middle of the road. It'll only take one season where he really hits that draft potential and they have a cheap(ish) QB which they can plan their future on (even if it's a trade and boatload of a return for a Franchise QB).

As I say, the length of the deal is the important aspect of this.....and that's, IMHO, the stumbling block on Dak's next contract.

Majic

Reaction score
That's a crazy contract based on production.
Could be the difference now in whether Dak stays or goes. The price just keeps going up.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh god.........you can't be this dense :lmao2::lmao2:
It's sarcasm...right
Ok, killer let's compare what Dak and Rush accomplished.
Dak 2 playoff wins 5 losses.
Rush 0 playoff losses and 0 playoff wins.
Is Dak worth an additional 58 million $ a year for the difference above?
Nothing funny about it...................Ditch the Dak ASAP!!!!

plymkr

Reaction score
Even fans who hate Dak for whatever reason and will be happy when he’s gone have to admit that the Jones boys have been taken to the woodshed, but they foolishly skipped there with smiles on their faces. If Dak resigns before playing out his 2024 contract year for any amount of money, it will be clear that he loves the Dallas Cowboys more than what’s best for him personally.

I‘ll bet every member of the NFLPA who isn’t a Cowboy is praying he will play out this year and become a free agent. It will be the ultimate player wins against the owner scenario.
Only if Dak wins a playoff game will it be the ultimate win for a player against an owner. I respectfully disagree with you but probably not in the way you think. I feel Dak already got the ultimate win against an owner last contract when he took Jerry to the woodshed with the dollar amount, years, NTC and no Franchise tag. Dak already schooled Jerry and embarrassed him as a business man. Which I’m cool with cuz I don’t have much love for Jerry.

I feel this year if we don’t make the playoffs or make the playoffs and Dak plays like he did against GB and we lose and then Dak signs with another team for 60+ million then I feel Dak would have the victory over Jones but not as much of a victory as the first time IMO.

Jerry from the jump mishandled Dak’s contract.

plymkr

Reaction score
The AFC is going to have lots of $50 million dollar quarterbacks missing the playoffs. :laugh: Tua is next.
Very true. Paying big money to a QB does not guarantee better play from the QB. AFC is going to be having millions of dollars watching the playoffs.