News: Trevor Lawrence and the Jags have agreed to a 5-year, $275M extension

plymkr

Reaction score
I still don’t know why sports players are even allowed to make that much money. Their jobs aren’t nearly as important or skilled as doctors yet the neurosurgeons who spend years in school paying a fortune in tuition (if no scholarship) are lucky to make the same salary as a low-end NFL player.

I get “demand” and everything, but people overvalue give sports way too much. The greed of the sports world is just insane.

Maybe the wording I’m using isn’t the best to describe my sentiment, but you guys are smart - you know what I’m trying to say.
I get it. Unless you’re curing cancer or making the world on overall better place then you don’t deserve 50+ million a year. I understand why they get it but it just shows how screwed up our priorities are as a society.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Only if Dak wins a playoff game will it be the ultimate win for a player against an owner. I respectfully disagree with you but probably not in the way you think. I feel Dak already got the ultimate win against an owner last contract when he took Jerry to the woodshed with the dollar amount, years, NTC and no Franchise tag. Dak already schooled Jerry and embarrassed him as a business man. Which I’m cool with cuz I don’t have much love for Jerry.

I feel this year if we don’t make the playoffs or make the playoffs and Dak plays like he did against GB and we lose and then Dak signs with another team for 60+ million then I feel Dak would have the victory over Jones but not as much of a victory as the first time IMO.

Jerry from the jump mishandled Dak’s contract.
Agree, apart from possibly the last sentence. I have a feeling Jerry ,on agreeing to the player friendly last contract, thought he would gain some form of loyalty in the future (for this contract).

The moral of the story is never gamble on the futures as things change (inc: CAP, repeated play-off performances vrs Regular Season form).

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
These contracts are getting out of hand. It doesn't even matter anymore if the QB is elite or deserving, it's just a "next man up is the highest paid" type of deal now. Over-inflates the QB market, and makes it hard for teams to keep their rosters together. Is TL really worth the same/more than Mahomes? Hell no! Really wish NFL would put a cap on the QB contracts kinda like how the rookies get.

Yes, like a max contract. Similar to the NBA. They should have for each position a max that a player can earn from contracts. They'll make a lot too from endorsements anyway.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
I have trouble believing he'll get $60. Based on what I'm reading, the two top paid now are Lawrence and Burrow at $55 million per year followed by Jared Goff at $53, Justin Herbert at $52.5 and Lamar Jackson at $52. Some of those QBs have accomplished more than Prescott as far as playoff wins (yes, that's a team stat, but guaranteed it's an individual stat in contract negotiations), so expecting Prescott to reset the market seems a little far-fetched. Now, the argument in his favor is that he's been a better QB than Lawrence up to this point and if those other QBs were getting new contracts now, in today's market, they would get more than Lawrence is. Of course, Dallas can point to the fact that Lawrence is a young QB with growth potential while Prescott is not.
Every one of those guys are younger and a couple have made a superb owl. None of them have the worst playoff record in history.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly.

Dak would be stupid to take less money than Lawrence, go look at career stats and you will see Lawrence has never had a season anywhere near what Dak had last year.

If I was Dak, I would laugh in the Cowboy's face if they tried to low ball me with an offer below Lawrence. I would say, "no thanks, I will test free agency next year".
Happy Trails to Dak and all you Dak lovers might want to follow him to his next team and expect the same results.
When you are making a career being carried by your teammates and beating sub-.500 teams for 8 seasons does not warrant top 10 QB $.
Jerry will be laughing as this charade finally comes to an end!!!!!
Name 3 Signature wins of Dak in the last 5 seasons.
Anyone dare??????????????

Just 3?????????????????????????????????????

QB with talent............

QB that are frauds............
rfmlrtzq4mz8np5joogo.jpg

The result..............
sddefault.jpg

Last edited:

Swagger

Reaction score
What people are missing when comparing Dak to this contract. Let's assume Dak signs a 5 year deal.
-Dak already costs what 45 million or so on the cap AFTER his current deal expires. This means that money will be added to any new money over 5 years.
TL has a 5 year Extension added to his 2 year contract. Any signing bonus is spread out over 7 years. His salaries for the remainder of his rookie deal can now be converted to bonus if the team wants to.

TL new Extension is much cheaper and team friendly compared to any deal Dak signs. The only way to really pay him is to again add void years (cap cancer)
It's a good deal for the Jags. Spread the cap hit over 7 years. Lawrence has largely played on a bad/average team yet still shown promise to earn his 1st big contract.
24 years old plenty of juice in the tank.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
No team in the NFL will pay Dak $55 a year on the open market?

Dak will be the highest rated QB to hit unrestricted free agency in like forever.

31 yrs old, but QB can play into their 40s nowadays, very durable with only 1 major injury in his entire career, multiple probowls, runner up MVP, won Man of the Year award for charity work.

If you guys dont think out of 32 teams, at least one would offer Dak $55 a year or more, then y'all are severely underestimating how desperate NFL teams are for QBs.
1) We are going to find out
2) We will see how that turns out
3) We can discuss when the dust settles

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Because I think he’s a middle of the pack QB who makes bad decisions under pressure. Maybe he will prove me wrong, but like most starting QBs, he is not worth anything close to that price, but most starting QBs will continue to get 50 million per or more as they resign. The only way to avoid paying that is to move on and hope you get lucky.
Guy is 24 playing for a franchise that is a perennial loser but trying to turn it around. You didn’t see enough of that guy in college and in 22 to say he isn’t middle of the pack?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
What the hell does a college national championship have to do with a contract that he just got in the NFL?
My point is he’s 24 and he has shown great ability. I am not justifying the contract in any way. The QB salaries are ridiculous right now. All my points were to say why you might pay Lawrence but not Dak that money.

DallasMike

Reaction score
The whole situation definitely has a "he's gone" feel. If not, it's a very awkward way of handling negotiations. Then again, it is the Jones boys.

jwitten82

Reaction score
Lawrence has shown tractor-QB potential. Tractor QBs are impossible to find, and get you to Super Bowls if you can find them. Lawrence isn't there, but he's already shown more ceiling than Dak has in nine years. You have to pay him.
Wth is tractor qb potential? Never heard of that