Trey Lance and Cooper Rush are competing for a roster spot?

Chasing6

Reaction score
I'm not one to go quite that far, personally, but if that's your opinion, you're surely entitled to it, right or wrong.

It's my hope that the FO might look at that competition with some measure of reality. I'll see how it goes, first.

If Trey Lance's performance is remotely as poor as many, here seem to think, I think Trey will make it known.
I seriously doubt it will be poor in preseason. He will look great running the ball. They will do their best to set him up for success. See Will Greir.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I seriously doubt it will be poor in preseason. He will look great running the ball. They will do their best to set him up for success. See Will Greir.
One of the first things I read this evening was how the Cowboys are destined to make this Cooper Rush's last year due to his escalating cost. In view of that gem, it looks to be setting up Trey Lance for a successful outing in his quest to take over the #2 QB spot, either this year or next.

Chasing6

Reaction score
One of the first things I read this evening was how the Cowboys are destined to make this Cooper Rush's last year due to his escalating cost. In view of that gem, it looks to be setting up Trey Lance for a successful outing in his quest to take over the #2 QB spot, either this year or next.
Rush is cheaper and way more experienced the Trance.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Why would they do that? Rush has already proven himself as a capable and cheaper backup. JJ didn’t bring Trey in to play backup. That may be the initial step but the intended, if it plays out right goal for him is to be the future starter. In that case Cooper’s job as a backup would still be available.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Rush is cheaper and way more experienced the Trance.
Whatever happens, it's a good bet the Cowboys will take the cheapest way to get their man.

Gotta wonder if there's any way that Lance might be able to take a lesser renegotiated deal.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Why would they do that? Rush has already proven himself as a capable and cheaper backup. JJ didn’t bring Trey in to play backup. That may be the initial step but the intended, if it plays out right goal for him is to be the future starter. In that case Cooper’s job as a backup would still be available.
Cooper is due to be given another contract for a (you guessed it) healthy raise. In view of that, it's a good bet that adjustments will be in order.
As far as Trey being brought in by Jerry to be anything but a backup, he'd have to dump Dak. I doubt that would happen this year. We'll see.
To be totally honest, I can't see Cooper being our starter. He's just not that good, despite what many here seem to think.

Last edited:

Chasing6

Reaction score
Whatever happens, it's a good bet the Cowboys will take the cheapest way to get their man.

Gotta wonder if there's any way that Lance might be able to take a lesser renegotiated deal.
Why would he? This year may be his last paycheck from the NFL.

Chasing6

Reaction score
If Dak is gone and they decide to gamble with Trance, the will need Cooper Rush more than ever.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Why would he? This year may be his last paycheck from the NFL.
If that's what might be possibly in his future, he might quite easily be desperate to take whatever role he could get. It's not like his stature is great.

Last edited:

Chasing6

Reaction score
If that's what might be possibly in his future, he might quite easily be desperate to take whatever role he could get. It's not like his stature is great.
His current contract is guaranteed. Why would he renegotiate it. He is a FA next year. What is their to renegotiate?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
His current contract is guaranteed. Why would he renegotiate it. He is a FA next year. What is their to renegotiate?
What is your version of what will happen, then, if he's in such a good position to make demands? How much is his current contract for?

Chasing6

Reaction score
What is your version of what will happen, then, if he's in such a good position to make demands? How much is his contract for?
Trance has zero position to make demands. He should be thankful he is in the NFL for another season.

GM Jethro currently has no QB under contract for next year. How is that for planning?

Only other team in that position I believe is the Steelers. I also believe the have a plan.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If Dak is gone and they decide to gamble with Trance, the will need Cooper Rush more than ever.
Dak isn't likely to be sent packing. He'll probably be kept in tow, as long as his contract is what it is. Jerry isn't happy, evidently, with Rush's wants.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Cooper is due to be given another contract for a (you guessed it) healthy raise. In view of that, it's a good bet that adjustments will be in order.
As far as Trey being brought in by Jerry to be anything but a backup, he'd have to dump Dak. I doubt that would happen this year. We'll see.
To be totally honest, I can't see Cooper being our starter. He's just not that good, despite what many here seem to think.
Cooper Rush is in the final year of his contract. It’s not guaranteed. He’s a free agent in March. How is he “due to be given another contract for a healthy raise”?