Trey Lance and Cooper Rush are competing for a roster spot?

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I did not expect Mr. 6 to caveat and qualify his position with an "if". If Trey does make it, 6 says it's because "the deck was stacked in his favor".

It's surprising turn of events.
Trey will only get the job if he’s good enough to win or presents the illusion that he is a primary reason for winning, like Dak did, because he will come cheap for a little while at least, unless he’s really good right out of the gates, which is highly unlikely. It’s a bit ironic, because the former is how Dak got the job.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Now, THAT'S what I'd call open-minded, to say the least! It might be extremely so -- surely optimistic, if nothing else!:thumbup:

But you're 100% on top of that situation, for sure. If a guy can't get a chance to start with, there's no hope, whatsoever. ;)

Trey Lance deserves that opportunity -- no doubt about it. Let hope the powers that be consider that seriously, as well . . .
He doesn’t deserve anything. If he can earn the starting quarterback position he’ll get the opportunity. It’s on him.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cooper Rush won't lay down and make it easy for Lance to overtake him. I'm sure that Trey will have to perform very well to win his chances.
I agree. Rush isnt your proto super qb, but hes a fighter, and has proved and earned his spot. Its no gimmie for lance.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Cooper Rush won't lay down and make it easy for Lance to overtake him.

I'm certain that Lance will have to perform very well to win his opportunity.
Well we know that is how it works in SF.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Lance will get the job, 100%. The front office wants to see what he has and know if they can use him as leverage against Dak.

Rush is probably a more capable backup at this point. He can make a correct read and throw the ball to the right man, which is a heck of a lot more than most backups can say. He's proven that he can keep the ship afloat for a couple weeks if needed. Lance hasn't done the same.

But Rush is a known quantity and he poses absolutely zero threat to Dak, whereas Lance has an element of what-if. The FO is going to open that what-if box before they start talking about paying Dak $200M guaranteed.

Adreme

Reaction score
Lance will get the job, 100%. The front office wants to see what he has and know if they can use him as leverage against Dak.

Rush is probably a more capable backup at this point. He can make a correct read and throw the ball to the right man, which is a heck of a lot more than most backups can say. He's proven that he can keep the ship afloat for a couple weeks if needed. Lance hasn't done the same.

But Rush is a known quantity and he poses absolutely zero threat to Dak, whereas Lance has an element of what-if. The FO is going to open that what-if box before they start talking about paying Dak $200M guaranteed.
They likely wont have that opportunity though. Lance is zero leverage no matter what happens as Dak can just repeat last year, even with the ending, and there will be multiple teams willing to offer record deals to sign him and there is nothing the Cowboys can do to stop it. Meanwhile the best case scenario (which would be a historic career turnaround for Lance), is he looks decent in limited action this year, signs a 20m 1 year deal plays well enough that he is in the same tier as Dak and then you are signing him for 60m and you saved no money.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I agree. Rush isnt your proto super qb, but hes a fighter, and has proved and earned his spot. Its no gimmie for lance.
I don't doubt that Rush will fight for his life vs. Lance, although, Lance has nothing to lose by doing the same.

It will be an interesting matchup. Rush has the advantage of experience, while Lance has his youth for favor.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They likely wont have that opportunity though. Lance is zero leverage no matter what happens as Dak can just repeat last year, even with the ending, and there will be multiple teams willing to offer record deals to sign him and there is nothing the Cowboys can do to stop it. Meanwhile the best case scenario (which would be a historic career turnaround for Lance), is he looks decent in limited action this year, signs a 20m 1 year deal plays well enough that he is in the same tier as Dak and then you are signing him for 60m and you saved no money.
Unless he can play and lead better.

A couple more wins in the playoffs would pay it off.

Improbable? Well maybe. Impossible? Certainly not.

Dont intentionally close off possibilities.

Adreme

Reaction score
Unless he can play and lead better.

A couple more wins in the playoffs would pay it off.

Improbable? Well maybe. Impossible? Certainly not.

Dont intentionally close off possibilities.
Even if he could defy NFL history and play better (doubt he could lead better as no one has questioned Dak's ability to lead) it would not matter as we would not see it this year so no leverage and even if they did see it still no leverage because Dak can just get 60m elsewhere so there is no leverage.

I mean if we are just talking possibilities its possible Dak wins the next 8 Super Bowls and goes down as the GOAT. Its possible that Turpin. is the next Jerry Rice so might as well trade Lamb. Its possible some practice squad player is better than Micah so trade him as well. All of those things are very unlikely and there would be no comp but there is also no comp to a player who has looked bad in his first 3 years becoming a top 5 QB (which is what he would have to be to surpass Dak).

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The next test won't be in SF, it'll be in Texas, not California.
Who is chasing six (SB’s)? The Cowboys and the 49’ers. Who is the poster that showed up when JJ brought Lance to the team? Who is the poster that claims to be a Cowboy fan yet dogs Lance by calling him “Trance”?

Which team gave up the farm to draft Lance? The 49’er’s. Who does not think that Lance has an opportunity to be a legit QB? Take a guess. Who would hold a grudge against Lance for his team losing all them draft picks? Take another guess.

Would a legit Cowboy fan wish bad on a new player on our team? Would you?

I’m a Cowboy fan and I confess that I don’t like some players on our team including Dak, but that is because I have seen enough to my liking, same with a few others.

However, I would be stupid to have a closed mind to say a bust is bust when I have never seen Lance even play, but who does that? Any guesses? Maybe someone from California that knows the Cowboys History as well as we know theirs? Who does not want a player that the 49’ers give up to give to us Cowboy fans for a 4th rounder?

Take a real wild guess, then you wont be in a trace with an imposter.

Cowboys on three…1…2…3.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even if he could defy NFL history and play better (doubt he could lead better as no one has questioned Dak's ability to lead) it would not matter as we would not see it this year so no leverage and even if they did see it still no leverage because Dak can just get 60m elsewhere so there is no leverage.

I mean if we are just talking possibilities its possible Dak wins the next 8 Super Bowls and goes down as the GOAT. Its possible that Turpin. is the next Jerry Rice so might as well trade Lamb. Its possible some practice squad player is better than Micah so trade him as well. All of those things are very unlikely and there would be no comp but there is also no comp to a player who has looked bad in his first 3 years becoming a top 5 QB (which is what he would have to be to surpass Dak).
Um...I don't care if you say "nobody has questioned Dak's ability to lead".

*I* do. I also know OTHERS have but it doesn't really matter.

Lead? Lead to WHERE? Oh the players say it? What do you expect them to say? Good team mates say it. And a LOT of fans say it because it's a vague thing they can give him credit for.

If you are a LEADER...you lead to the successful goal. And if you don't...the LEADER doesn't massively contribute to the failure.

"possibilities"? Dak has PROVED he can't rise above and lead...INSPIRE! and WILL this team to critical victories.

Lance hasn't really had a chance yet. It's unkown. Maybe he can maybe he can't...*he* hasn't had...hasn't earned...8 seasons to do it.

Not sure why you hate Lance.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Trance will be given the QB2 job be default.
I'm not one to go quite that far, personally, but if that's your opinion, you're surely entitled to it, right or wrong.

It's my hope that the FO might look at that competition with some measure of reality. I'll see how it goes, first.

If Trey Lance's performance is remotely as poor as many, here seem to think, I think Trey will make it known.

Last edited:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not one to go quite that far, personally, but if that's your opinion, you're surely entitled to it, right or wrong.

It's my hope that the FO might look at that competition with some measure of reality. I'll see how it goes, first.

If Trey Lance's performance is remotely as poor as many, here seem to think, I think Trey will make it known.
6 appears to be a lot like jerry. Just keep doubling down until it doesnt matter anymore. Hes dug his trench and not coming out.
In his mind the told ya so payoff is worth it. And we will never hear the end of it.
Being wrong just disappears into nothingness.