Trey Lance and Cooper Rush are competing for a roster spot?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I had to go back and review all the Nostradamus predictions, and there was no mention of who would be the starting QB for the Dallas Cowboys 2024
There was definitely one predicting that Lance would take over for Dak during the season and lead us deep into the playoffs. Wish I would’ve bookmarked the post. There’s also been predictions with at least a couple of fans saying he’s our future QB. Pretty easy to predict Dak will be the starting QB in 2024.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Obviously, if so, that prediction was premature and wishful thinking from the start. Jerry and Stephen aren't likely to oust Dak prematurely, imho.
All the Lance will be our starting QB predictions are wishful thinking by those who hate Dak.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I had to go back and review all the Nostradamus predictions, and there was no mention of who would be the starting QB for the Dallas Cowboys 2024
There were several. There’s a couple who posted the same in this thread.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Because he rode the pine as #3. :rolleyes:
Lance holding down the #3 spot last season could very well have nothing to do with ability/potential.

Think about it Rocky. You're managing the roster and very late in the game you are given a young QB, very unproven but loads of potential. You also have a veteran backup who knows the offense and has proven himself capable. It makes no sense to move the young, unproven new guy straight into the #2 spot. It makes far more sense to develop him. (And here's the kicker) Especially if you never even need the backup QB to do anything more than some mop up.

There is no reason to have moved Lance up and there is no reason not to think he may win a head to head competition this year.

I would have thought such an astute and accomplished football mind like you have would have easily thought this through and come to the same very reasonable conclusion,

I'm here for you if you need any more help. Just ask.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
“easy to manipulate“? Lance and Prescott are both represented by CAA Football. They’ll obviously be privy to status of negotiations of both quarterbacks. Lance won’t be signing before Prescott has signed somewhere maximizing his potential in negotiations.
I think you missed the entire point of the post.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Lance holding down the #3 spot last season could very well have nothing to do with ability/potential.

Think about it Rocky. You're managing the roster and very late in the game you are given a young QB, very unproven but loads of potential. You also have a veteran backup who knows the offense and has proven himself capable. It makes no sense to move the young, unproven new guy straight into the #2 spot. It makes far more sense to develop him. (And here's the kicker) Especially if you never even need the backup QB to do anything more than some mop up.

There is no reason to have moved Lance up and there is no reason not to think he may win a head to head competition this year.

I would have thought such an astute and accomplished football mind like you have would have easily thought this through and come to the same very reasonable conclusion,

I'm here for you if you need any more help. Just ask.
Fact remains he rode the pine as 3rd chair. He wasn’t good enough to be even a backup.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
All the Lance will be our starting QB predictions are wishful thinking by those who hate Dak.
There's no shortage of folks on this website who have expressed their desire to be done with Dak. I feel confident that Jerry & Stephen will want to get whatever they can from Dak in the meantime, before any decisions are forthcoming with both Dak and Lance's futures. They would be extremely foolish to make any quick decisions without due diligence being respected. They'll always have to consider the bad ramifications of a premature decision being attempted. Jeopardizing future profits will always be a major avoidance for them.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The new practice squad rules allowing more veterans to be there is at the heart of this.

Teams can also protect up to four PS players from getting poached every week, so they could put the loser of the Lance-Rush battle on the PS. What I am saying is, whoever loses the battle for QB 2 is not necessarily gone.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
There's no shortage of folks on this website who have expressed their desire to be done with Dak. I feel confident that Jerry & Stephen will want to get whatever they can from Dak in the meantime, before any decisions are forthcoming with both Dak and Lance's futures. They would be extremely foolish to make any quick decisions without due diligence being respected. They'll always have to consider the bad ramifications of a premature decision being attempted. Jeopardizing future profits will always be a major avoidance for them.
If they start the regular season and Dak still hasn’t been extended, they may have to play Lance at some point just to see what they have in him in the event Dak decides to test free agency.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
One real disadvantage for Lance is he hasn't played in a regular-season game as a Cowboy. We talk about his potential or how good he looks at OTAs or training camp but he hasn't done while real bullets are flying.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
If Lance can't win QB2 in Dallas he just might be done in the league. It's hard to imagine but would someone actually give him a third shot?

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
There were several. There’s a couple who posted the same in this thread.
There’s really only been one: Duncanlso.

He’s been pushing Lance a future star and that he will soon replace Dak. Whether he’s trolling or not is moot, but he seems to be a pretty big fan of his.

GINeric

Reaction score
I have been saying this.......Jerry was clear, that Lance would compete with Rush for a backup position behind Dak.
  • No way Rush stays on the team if he loses the backup job to Lance
  • If Lance can't beat Rush after a year, is he still worth a roster spot?
  • We know Rush can win games
  • The competition is whether Lance can be a future NFL starter vs a career backup.
In other words, Lance has little or no value to us if he doesn't show enough as a potential starter.

Lance has also shown he can win games. Lance is a better athlete and has a stronger arm than Rush. Rush has been in the league for 8 years and STILL competing for a backup spot?

That says it all right there. Lance has a better chance at a better upside.

Last edited:

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
He never really “held down” the #3 spot. He was delegated to it at the end of TC, and a few days after requested a trade with Lynch et al and they oblidged.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Oh I know it’s different. My original question is if he wasn’t better than Rush last year why would he be now? I don’t think much of Rush but he’s a formidable qb. He’s shown he can run a offense at the very least.

Him not being good enough to backup Dak last year is just that. He wasn’t good enough. No point in making excuses for it. His true development will come with on field play not practice.
Lance missed the entire camp.

Trey isn’t here to be QB2.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
He never really “held down” the #3 spot. He was delegated to it at the end of TC, and a few days after requested a trade with Lynch et al and they oblidged.
No.

Traded to Dallas.

Benched from practices at SF because of the trade.

Darnold QB2 by default.

An amazing trade by Jerry.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Lance has also shown he can win games. Lance is a better athlete and has a stronger arm than Rush. Rush has been in the league for 8 years and STILL competing for a backup spot?

That says it all right there. Lance has a better chance at a better upside.
Rush stays.

The ultimate relief pitcher.

No way Lance stays at QB3.

He’s playing for QB1.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
We were talking about after he was traded to the Cowboys. Rocky suggests that the fact he never was listed as #2 means that he couldn't win the job. I tried to point out several other factors that likely played in to Lance remaining below Rush on the depth chart. I look forward to a real competition this year.