Trey Lance: Cowboys Starter in 2025?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Talent wise, Lance has all the tools. Rush is extremely limited imo but knows the offense. Lance has a much higher ceiling, we will see what the offseason looks like. Making it just to the divisional round isn't good enough and if we had Romo for some of the teams Dak had, I think we would have made it to the NFCGG imo.
A bunch of QBs that went bust in the top 10 had the tools which is why they were drafted so high. Lance hasn’t proven he can play. He’ll be given an opportunity this summer. As for Romo I completely disagree. He never got us past the divisional round and never would have. He had too many turnover issues and our defenses weren’t good enough. Romo had plenty of opportunities and failed. He had a choker reputation but once we released him, all of a sudden fans are claiming we would’ve won championships with him had we not released him. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Wildcat711

Reaction score
The plan is for Rush and Lance to compete for the backup job. No way will they hand it to Lance, they want him to earn it. If he loses out he’ll be a wasted 4th round pick.
I'm not so sure.. remember Lance was Jerry's pick.

Havic

Reaction score
A bunch of QBs that went bust in the top 10 had the tools which is why they were drafted so high. Lance hasn’t proven he can play. He’ll be given an opportunity this summer. As for Romo I completely disagree. He never got us past the divisional round and never would have. He had too many turnover issues and our defenses weren’t good enough. Romo had plenty of opportunities and failed. He had a choker reputation but once we released him, all of a sudden fans are claiming we would’ve won championships with him had we not released him. :rolleyes:
Not championships imo but we would have advanced further. Romo's turnovers were like Josh Allen's, trying to do to much at times to compensate for the defense. I will say give me Romo's best year (TD / INT ratio) and put him on Dak's best team and we would go further

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Not championships imo but we would have advanced further. Romo's turnovers were like Josh Allen's, trying to do to much at times to compensate for the defense. I will say give me Romo's best year (TD / INT ratio) and put him on Dak's best team and we would go further
It’s easy to say we would have advanced further, but we never did with Romo. We were never going to advance with him mainly because of the defenses we’ve had. It’s been the same problem with Dak. We could’ve beat the Packers in 2016 after tying the game in the final minute but our defense choked. It choked in 2014 when Romo played the Packers. Aaron Rodgers was throwing TD passes on an injured leg. We had no pass rush and he ate us up in the second half despite limping around. As we saw a few weeks ago things haven’t changed with the defense, it sucks in the playoffs. Dak had more good playoff games than Romo. He played good enough to beat the Packers in 2016 and good enough to beat the Rams in 2018 but our defense folded.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak Prescott has proven he is a really good regular season QB. Psychologically, something is going on between his ears in the playoffs. Despite his regular season success, has he shown the Joneses enough to warrant a $60 million dollar/year contract extension? I don't think so.

Unlike last time when the Cowboys could have paid him ~$28 million (and punted), this time they have a QB on the roster that is more talented than Cooper Rush and has a higher ceiling. His name? Trey Lance and he's only 23 years old.

My unfounded theory on why Mike McCarthy was retained? He's had a great history of developing young QBs. Trey has a big arm and ton of upside. The Joneses gave up draft capital to trade for this young man (which is huge IMO).

I expect the contract extension negotiations with Dak to drag on past the beginning of the new NFL league year and eventually stall. Trey has a roster bonus of $4.2 million dollars, and I believe he will be QB2 this season.

I think Trey gets the (cheaper) contract extension and Dak is playing his last year in Dallas this season.

Cowboys starter at QB next season: Trey Lance. Book it.
So far all of that is nothing but fantasy wishful thinking.....

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
They won’t hand him the job, backup QB is too important. He’s going to have to earn it. Rush kept our season afloat in 2022 with 5 wins. The Cowboys have some confidence in him which is why they moved on from Will Grier who didn’t perform poorly in preseason last year.
Most teams realize their backup quarterback should be an experienced QB with significant starting experience that accepts working for at or near minimum. Trey Lance checks none of those boxes.

TheCritic

Reaction score
We’ve seen him play plenty of preseason games as well as regular season games.
Well sorry to say that the Cowboys organization disagrees with you, which means you and your objections have been overruled.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
We'll see if Lance outplays Rush in the TC to come. He'll rely upon that and will likely compete for the backup spot this year, not Dak's.

Last edited:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Trey Lance will not be given any chance to start. He will be given an opportunity to beat out rush and there is a chance he doesn't.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm not so sure.. remember Lance was Jerry's pick.
I’m sure they won’t hand him the job if doesn’t look good this summer. Cooper Rush has won 6 games for the Cowboys so Lance would have to beat him out. They’ll give Lance every opportunity to win the job but he’s going to have to win it. San Francisco handed Lance the starting job a couple years ago but he ended up getting injured. He then had to earn the job last season and couldn’t even win the backup job. You’re not going to get anywhere with a QB that doesn’t deserve to be out there.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
8 years track record. We've all seen Dak's peak.

You could pay him $100M or more a year and it wouldn't make any difference.

Paying Dak takes us further away from being a contender.
He is NOT a loose canon gunslinger like a previous QB.

He has a remarkable consistent...undeniable... track record.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Spoiler alert: trey lance is a scrub.
How so?

What personal evidence do you have? Apparently you already have it..."spoiler alert"...do you even know what that is? I doubt it! You think just spewing it from your mouth is some sort of alert.

Kwyn

Reaction score
A lot of fans don’t need to see anything in Trey Lance, or any QB that inspires them. They just want any QB but Dak. Just throw a bunch of names of QBs in a hat and pick one and they’ll be happy.
Kevin Sweeney! I bet he’s available.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Kevin Sweeney! I bet he’s available.
That’s just how bad things got in 1987 and 88. If it was up to many of the fans on this board we would be repeating that misery. It’s hilarious how some ridiculous fans act like our QB situation is miserable. :rolleyes: