Trey Lance: Cowboys Starter in 2025?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Romo's turnovers were like Josh Allen's, trying to do to much at times to compensate for the defense.
Romo was a gunslinger. He was a poor man’s Brett Favre. He would force throws into coverage and throw balls up for grabs. He loved Dez because he could throw the ball up and let Dez win the 50/50 battle. Romo also got himself in trouble with impulse throws. When things started going bad with Romo he would implode. When Dak has a bad game, the wheels don’t come completely off with him. Even against Green Bay he was able to settle down and start making some good throws but it was too late.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Joneses, and NFL for that matter, have seen Daks limitations. Jerry saw enough in TC and acted. I would expect to see the 2024 version of Trey unleashed in OTAs

HabsCowboysOwn

Reaction score
You know I didn't really care whether they extended DAK or waited until 2025 to make a decision but now because of all the Dak Haters,

I really hope they trigger every one of you and pay him that $60 million that's rumored and I hope somehow Jerry makes you even more mad and makes a Trey Lance trade for a seventh round pick to move up in the draft and get rid of the dude before you see him play so you'll all be so triggered.....

So I'll remember these threads and come back bookmark when all this stuff happens so the anti Jones and the anti DAK haters will spiral out of control maybe AT&T will break again
Spoken like a true Dak before Dallas bozo, hoping the team you're supposed to root for makes idiotic moves and shoots itself in the foot just to prove a point. Pathetic.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It’s easy to say we would have advanced further, but we never did with Romo. We were never going to advance with him mainly because of the defenses we’ve had. It’s been the same problem with Dak. We could’ve beat the Packers in 2016 after tying the game in the final minute but our defense choked. It choked in 2014 when Romo played the Packers. Aaron Rodgers was throwing TD passes on an injured leg. We had no pass rush and he ate us up in the second half despite limping around. As we saw a few weeks ago things haven’t changed with the defense, it sucks in the playoffs. Dak had more good playoff games than Romo. He played good enough to beat the Packers in 2016 and good enough to beat the Rams in 2018 but our defense folded.
Defenses win Championships.

Offenses sell tickets.

3 yard runs are boring.

Let's be honest if a team, any team goes 12-5, and wins games 15-12. Fans would be board out of their mind.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The Joneses, and NFL for that matter, have seen Daks limitations. Jerry saw enough in TC and acted. I would expect to see the 2024 version of Trey unleashed in OTAs
Nothing gets unleashed in OTA's.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Trey will likely be sprouting crotch rash again sitting on the bench throughout the season. Backup quarterbacks are always on career death row.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo was a gunslinger. He was a poor man’s Brett Favre. He would force throws into coverage and throw balls up for grabs. He loved Dez because he could throw the ball up and let Dez win the 50/50 battle. Romo also got himself in trouble with impulse throws. When things started going bad with Romo he would implode. When Dak has a bad game, the wheels don’t come completely off with him. Even against Green Bay he was able to settle down and start making some good throws but it was too late.
Once again...
Not true at all. I keep showing you the numbers....but romo hating Dak Ultra Crusaders just ignore them suit their agenda. Tear down romo to prop dak using lies.
Wasnt just dez, romo made a lot of receivers. A couple of them really let him down, one could say even dez on at least one occasion.
These days a lot if them get shipped off.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Man, you’re living in a media created fantasy. Favre was a much worse gunslinger than Romo. Favre wasn’t even Romo’s QB example. It was John Elway who he wanted to mold his game after. The only reason he gets associated with Favre is because he’s from Wisconsin.

Redline360

Reaction score
I absolutely love Dak...as my fantasy football quarterback

However he is not the one to lead you to a superbowl. He's been historically bad in the majority of his playoff losses(rams he was good). Like ridiculously bad if you break the games down.

Was never sold on him from day one as he had a ton of problems coming out of college. Bad footwork, happy feet, throwing motion, couldn't read defenses and etc. Always said he was the product of the talent around him. He improved in some of those aspects and truly looked like he was going to make the next step of "driving" the bust straight. I actually debated this way at one point. However it's not the case anymore. It's time to move on he's not that guy and never will be

Brax

Reaction score
Because Jerry didn't think things through. Dak isn't going anywhere, nor should he. Cooper Rush is still a quality backup who can be kept for cheap. Trey Lance will eventually start problems wanting to start and get paid more. Best to trade him right now and get a mid-round draft pick for him while you can, especially since Cowboys have too many holes to fill.
Wouldn’t want anyone pushing Dak or looking better in camp. That’s been the last 8 years don’t hurt Daks fragile mentality so here they are with a reject PS as backup and a QB who nobody knows his potential (except you who saw all his preseason games and regular season starts, didn’t know you were a 9er’s fan) so let’s trade him so Jerry can pick another Bossman or Jaylon type guy. You are right let’s break the bank and pay a QB who has actually done anything to merit top money. Why not let him play out his contract and no SB say goodbye, easy to do cap wise and if after 9 years he still sucks move on.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Mike hasnt developed any qb's lol
Bret farve and rodgers were just good .
No telling who is working with lance, it may be rowdy!

Chasing6

Reaction score
Once again...
Not true at all. I keep showing you the numbers....but romo hating Dak Ultra Crusaders just ignore them suit their agenda. Tear down romo to prop dak using lies.
Wasnt just dez, romo made a lot of receivers. A couple of them really let him down, one could say even dez on at least one occasion.
These days a lot if them get shipped off.
Patrick Payton dropped pass was HUGE. Right in the bread basket.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Dak Prescott has proven he is a really good regular season QB. Psychologically, something is going on between his ears in the playoffs. Despite his regular season success, has he shown the Joneses enough to warrant a $60 million dollar/year contract extension? I don't think so.

Unlike last time when the Cowboys could have paid him ~$28 million (and punted), this time they have a QB on the roster that is more talented than Cooper Rush and has a higher ceiling. His name? Trey Lance and he's only 23 years old.

My unfounded theory on why Mike McCarthy was retained? He's had a great history of developing young QBs. Trey has a big arm and ton of upside. The Joneses gave up draft capital to trade for this young man (which is huge IMO).

I expect the contract extension negotiations with Dak to drag on past the beginning of the new NFL league year and eventually stall. Trey has a roster bonus of $4.2 million dollars, and I believe he will be QB2 this season.

I think Trey gets the (cheaper) contract extension and Dak is playing his last year in Dallas this season.

Cowboys starter at QB next season: Trey Lance. Book it.
Dak played great last year but he chokes in big spots.

Trey has a better arm, better feet and throws a better ball. If the game slows down for him... he has the tools that made him a top 5 pick.