Trey Lance: Cowboys Starter in 2025?

RoboQB

Reaction score
Lower level D1 and did not run a pro offense. He is a running QB, who is an athlete first, not a QB first. QB's that throw a lot of bubble screens and run around until someone gets open are not legit QB's, regardless of how far they can throw the ball.

Trance is an athlete with a ton of potential. He needs to play to ever have a chance of reaching that potential. Again he played 1 year in College, and only 1 year in HS. Training camp and pre-season, is not going to help him reach that potential.

So at every level he has played everyone has misunderstood this guy? Even though he has all these amazing traits and is so gifted. He could not start in HS. When he did he was bad. He could not get a scholarship to play QB. Took him 3 years to start in College.

If theses types of QB's are going to have success like Lamar Jackson, you better have a tremendous defense and a great running game to support them. We have neither.

Difference is Lamar Jackson was stud in HS, had multiple college offers, played 3 years in college played in the ACC. Started 36 games, through 9,000 yards.

Trance has done and proven nothing. All he is, is potential that is fading fast. He is so far behind at this point in his career.

He was behind coming out of HS. Did not catch up in College and has only fallen more behind sitting the last 4 years, since his 1 year starting at a lower level, although D1 school.

But miracles can happen. Mazi has a shot of being all pro next year with Mike Zimmer.
All I did was correct you're post claiming he's never played in a big game in his life. You keep spouting off HS
statistics. Well, he went 16-0 and was named MVP in the biggest game he ever played in college. Most would say that overrides high school stats and games.
Next we'll being making scouting reports on 8 year old Pop Warner kids...lol/smh

Chasing6

Reaction score
Truth is nobody knows, except the NFL talent people on CZ . He may suck he may turn out great.
We are going into year 4 in the NFL. He has not played significant time going on 5 years now. He is a 3rd string emergency QB, who occasionally plays on the Scout team. THAT IS THE TRUTH!!!

But nobody knows? His HS coach new. He did not start until he was a SR. Then went 4-4, but he is a winner? Every college in American new. He did not get 1 scholarship offer to play QB.

The rest of the NFL new, except GM Jeruh. No one, was willing to trade more than a 7th round CONDITIONAL pick.

The trance will wear off on you sooner or later.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
All I did was correct you're post claiming he's never played in a big game in his life. You keep spouting off HS
statistics. Well, he went 16-0 and was named MVP in the biggest game he ever played in college. Most would say that overrides high school stats and games.
Next we'll being making scouting reports on 8 year old Pop Warner kids...lol/smh
they're afraid somebody is going to take the choker's place. LMAO

RoboQB

Reaction score
I wonder just how great Aaron Rodgers would've been in he hadn't sat the bench behind Favre all those years...lol/smh.

Brooksey

Reaction score
I mean he does not play in big spots because he never plays. He has one full year of starting experience since High School and we are entering his 4th year in the NFL. The little tape that does exist on him shows that he is a slower decision maker, far more inaccurate, and prone to forcing the ball into bad situations. All of the tape said "raw prospect who has the physical tools but needs a lot of coaching and play time" and we are in year 4 and he has not gotten the playtime. As for his progress, the only thing we know for sure is that he was worse than Sam Darnold at the start of last year. Now maybe he has gotten better and is now better than Sam Darnold but that means that he is maybe one of the top 40 QBs in the NFL not one of the top 10. There is a chasm between these 2 players right now and the fact that we are in year 4 and people are still talking about the potential physical traits that could maybe make him a starter is how these first round busts manage to get try after try after try.
I just don't see it. The more tape I watch, the more I like Trey Lance.

He can be a younger, stronger, faster, cheaper version of Prescott without the choke.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I mean he does not play in big spots because he never plays. He has one full year of starting experience since High School and we are entering his 4th year in the NFL. The little tape that does exist on him shows that he is a slower decision maker, far more inaccurate, and prone to forcing the ball into bad situations. All of the tape said "raw prospect who has the physical tools but needs a lot of coaching and play time" and we are in year 4 and he has not gotten the playtime. As for his progress, the only thing we know for sure is that he was worse than Sam Darnold at the start of last year. Now maybe he has gotten better and is now better than Sam Darnold but that means that he is maybe one of the top 40 QBs in the NFL not one of the top 10. There is a chasm between these 2 players right now and the fact that we are in year 4 and people are still talking about the potential physical traits that could maybe make him a starter is how these first round busts manage to get try after try after try.
How would he have gotten better? He has not played. Sitting and watching does not make you better. If it did, I should be a NFL QB. I have been sitting a watching for decades.

Getting little to no reps at practice, does not make you better. Back ups struggle to get reps. Trance was second string on the Scout Team, and most likely only used for our D to get reps to stop a running QB.

Adreme

Reaction score
I just don't see it. The more tape I watch, the more I like Trey Lance.

He can be a younger, stronger, faster, cheaper version of Prescott without the choke.
I have seen every NFL he has taken in all22, he has the accuracy of JaMarcus Russell and the decision making of Jameis Winston. His raw physical traits are all there but he is very inaccurate and makes bad decisions and is slow at making those decisions. Those are the reasons he lost out to Sam Darnold (someone outside of the top 40 for QBs) for a backup job. MAYBE a coach can help get his accuracy up to a low end NFL level but it takes live reps to actually improve the speed of his decision making and he has 1 year of starting experience since High School. If he starts in 2025 he will probably be one of the worst, if not outright the worst, starters in the NFL. The NFL is littered with busts who had all the physical tools and none of the ability to execute. That is actually the reason he might struggle to catch on as a backup as they typically have all of the ability but none of the physical tools.

Adreme

Reaction score
How would he have gotten better? He has not played. Sitting and watching does not make you better. If it did, I should be a NFL QB. I have been sitting a watching for decades.

Getting little to no reps at practice, does not make you better. Back ups struggle to get reps. Trance was second string on the Scout Team, and most likely only used for our D to get reps to stop a running QB.
Exactly which is why he is not ready. Whatever team was going to play him had to be willing to basically treat him like the Jets treated Wilson where he just got reps despite being terrible (even if this year was not intentional). If he is starting he will not be good that year and probably not great the following year and you are hoping that he can click year 3 (kind of like Drew Brees did in his 3rd year of starting which screwed up the Chargers entire plan). This is a fine idea unless you are playoff team trying to take that next step and if the player is a rookie or 2nd year not a player who will be in their 4th or 5th year before this process starts.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I don’t listen to the media, I use my own judgment. Favre was a much better gunslinger than Romo which is why he won a championship and is in the Hall of Fame. Favre became a football legend with his gunslinging style of play. At the time of his retirement, Favre was the all-time NFL leader in passing yards, passing TDs, and QB wins. How does that make him a worse gunslinger than Romo? I’ve never heard anyone compare Romo to Elway. Elway was much more of a runner than Romo. Elway had over 3400 rushing yards and 79 rushing TDs, compared to only 620 rushing yards for Romo and 5 rushing TDs. Romo was a scrambler who kept plays alive like Favre.

Favre made a lot of great plays but also a lot of bad plays just like with Romo. Both QBs took a lot of chances. I’ve never seen anyone compare Romo with Elway. Romo gets associated with Favre because he’s from Wisconsin and his gunslinging style of play. Everyone just assumed Romo idolized Favre because their style of play was so similar. According to Romo in an interview he was a basketball fan and idolized Michael Jordan. He was also a fan of Elway but their style of play was different. Favre choked a lot in big games with untimely turnovers and the same with Romo. However, Favre was able to overcome a lot of his turnovers with a lot of TD passes. Not so much with Romo.
No. Romo’s play was nothing like Favre’s. That’s the media myth and the fact you just repeat it means you fell for it. In Romo’s worst seasons he threw a total of 19 picks. The first was his first full season of starting in 2007, but he also threw 36 TDs. The other was in 2012 when the team had one of the worst defenses in the league. A 2012 team that was still 8-8 but trailed at some point in every game they played. This idea that Romo was a gunslinger and turnover “machine” was nonsense. Those things happened when he tried to do too much.

And I said Romo’s QB example was Elway. He never tried to be like Favre. That is what the media people labeled him as LIKE I SAID.

Last edited:

Chasing6

Reaction score
Exactly which is why he is not ready. Whatever team was going to play him had to be willing to basically treat him like the Jets treated Wilson where he just got reps despite being terrible (even if this year was not intentional). If he is starting he will not be good that year and probably not great the following year and you are hoping that he can click year 3 (kind of like Drew Brees did in his 3rd year of starting which screwed up the Chargers entire plan). This is a fine idea unless you are playoff team trying to take that next step and if the player is a rookie or 2nd year not a player who will be in their 4th or 5th year before this process starts.
I think the Niners thought with all the talent around him they could take the pressure off him and give him time to develop. Exactly what they are doing for Purdy.

However, Purdy has significant more playing time and experience than Trance. Trance may be a way better athlete, but nothing replaces repetition and game time experience.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
they're afraid somebody is going to take the choker's place. LMAO
Seriously. It’s like they think that enough fans on forum who have had enough of Dak’s play in the playoffs suggesting it as a possibility will have some voodoo magic and will make it happen in reality.

Adreme

Reaction score
I think the Niners thought with all the talent around him they could take the pressure off him and give him time to develop. Exactly what they are doing for Purdy.

However, Purdy has significant more playing time and experience than Trance. Trance may be a way better athlete, but nothing replaces repetition and game time experience.
And then Lance lost the backup job to Sam Darnold because of that. If there is a team out there will to take a shot on him next year, they basically have to accept it will be a bad year (so they probably want him on a 2 year deal) and have to hope that he can be NFL ready by his 6th season, or 2026. Whoever he starts for will have a QB who is probably the worst starter in the NFL and they will have to hope they can develop him into an NFL player and maybe he can be great but at this point the odds seem to say it is unlikely.

Adreme

Reaction score
For a 4th round choice????
You kind of want your 4th round picks to be seeing the field. They are supposed to be the depth players or your low end starters but playing a position where he is not only not the backup, but in the spot where he is almost certain to not see a snap is a complete waste of a 4th.

Big_D

Reaction score
For a 4th round choice????

4th round picks you get 4 years on a rookie deal. We're getting a year and a half and still paying for a top 5 pick. And no playing time? That contract is up after this year then what without seeing any real game time?

Chasing6

Reaction score
And then Lance lost the backup job to Sam Darnold because of that. If there is a team out there will to take a shot on him next year, they basically have to accept it will be a bad year (so they probably want him on a 2 year deal) and have to hope that he can be NFL ready by his 6th season, or 2026. Whoever he starts for will have a QB who is probably the worst starter in the NFL and they will have to hope they can develop him into an NFL player and maybe he can be great but at this point the odds seem to say it is unlikely.
That is why I think his best route is to go to Canada. He got a great rookie contract. He does not need the money. He needs the experience anywhere he can get it.

GM Jeruh never should have traded for him. He could have gone to a bad team and possibly got some playing time last year.

Trance and his Agent had no control of the trade location, Niners wanted to recoup the best they could get from a disasterous draft day trade. He would have been better off going to one of the teams that were going to offer a 7th round conditional pick.

The thing that pisses me off the most we just helped our most likely #1 competitor in the NFC gain extend their separation from us.

Basically when you think about it 2 4ths and $10M gap. We lost a 4th and they gained one. They save $5M and we are waste $5M on a player that will never play for us.

Gotta love GM Jeruh.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You kind of want your 4th round picks to be seeing the field. They are supposed to be the depth players or your low end starters but playing a position where he is not only not the backup, but in the spot where he is almost certain to not see a snap is a complete waste of a 4th.
Any other position I agree with you. QB is different. Especially when the starter ahead of him is a proven choker.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Dak played great last year but he chokes in big spots.

Trey has a better arm, better feet and throws a better ball. If the game slows down for him... he has the tools that made him a top 5 pick.
“Throws a better ball”? Surely this has not escaped the coaching staff’s attention. Since Dak will someday not be the Cowboys’ quarterback why not now? Cut him, mitigate the inevitable cap hit, spreading it over two years instead of all at once or take the hit all at once. Jerry’s call. Don’t pick up Lance’s fifth year option, but make him QB1 and take your lumps. If he has legitimate talent, better arm and feet, it will be apparent by season’s end. At least allow the possibility that he is not as good as Dak Prescott and may never be. It is possible. In addition, pray wherever Dak ends up he does not win multiple playoff games in a single season.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No. Romo’s play was nothing like Favre’s. That’s the media myth and the fact you just repeat it means you fell for it. In Romo’s worst seasons he threw a total of 19 picks. The first was his first full season of starting in 2007, but he also threw 36 TDs. The other was in 2012 when the team had one of the worst defenses in the league. A 2012 team that was still 8-8 but trailed at some point in every game they played. This idea that Romo was a gunslinger and turnover “machine” was nonsense. Those things happened when he tried to do too much.

And I said Romo’s QB example was Elway. He never tried to be like Favre. That is what the media people labeled him as LIKE I SAID.
Everyone from the fans to those who get paid to talk football have compared Romo to Favre. Even Favre said Romo reminds him of himself. Go waste someone else’s time.

Brett Favre says Tony Romo is the quarterback most similar to him​

https://www.rrstar.com/story/sports/2007/11/29/favre-says-comparisons-to-romo/44678190007/

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/brett-favre-tony-romo-similiar-to-me/143938?amp