Trey Lance: Cowboys Starter in 2025?

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Everyone from the fans to those who get paid to talk football have compared Romo to Favre. Even Favre said Romo reminds him of himself. Go waste someone else’s time.

Brett Favre says Tony Romo is the quarterback most similar to him​

https://www.rrstar.com/story/sports/2007/11/29/favre-says-comparisons-to-romo/44678190007/

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/brett-favre-tony-romo-similiar-to-me/143938?amp
Oh, yeah real similarity:

"Overdone but not off base."

"Favre sees himself in Romo's knack for turning broken plays into big gains. He can identify with Romo's rise from relative obscurity. And if there is any other player in the league who plays with the level of pure joy Favre does, it's Romo."

Didn't even read the term gunslinger used once.

Adreme

Reaction score
Any other position I agree with you. QB is different. Especially when the starter ahead of him is a proven choker.
No one would seriously consider having your 3rd string QB for 2 years being worth a 4th especially when the starter is an undisputed top 10 QB so there is no chance of starting. Maybe ATL or PIT or the Raiders where there are not really starters right now but outside of that there is not really any team that should consider that trade.

Big_D

Reaction score
There's a lot of desperate teams out there in need of a QB and none were willing to part with a 4th except for you know who. The niners were even surprised by it. lol I'm really hoping for the best but expectations are extremely low in this situation.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Oh, yeah real similarity:

"Overdone but not off base."

"Favre sees himself in Romo's knack for turning broken plays into big gains. He can identify with Romo's rise from relative obscurity. And if there is any other player in the league who plays with the level of pure joy Favre does, it's Romo."

Didn't even read the term gunslinger used once.
Favre was always referred to as a gunslinger. They even have a book Titled “Gunslinger” about him.

https://greenbeanbookspdx.indielite.org/book/9781328745682

Don’t know where you been but plenty referred to Romo as a gunslinger. Try doing a Google. :thumbup:

“On Monday Night Football fans were treated to a gem of a game between the Chicago Bears and Dallas Cowboys. The game featured two of the prominent “Gunslingers” in the game, Jay Cutler and Tony Romo.”

https://www.baconsports.com/the-gunslinger-award/

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/tony-romo-is-skeptical-footballs-gunslinger-of-the-year/

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...k-tony-romo-a-look-at-the-gunslingers-arsenal

Brooksey

Reaction score
I have seen every NFL he has taken in all22, he has the accuracy of JaMarcus Russell and the decision making of Jameis Winston. His raw physical traits are all there but he is very inaccurate and makes bad decisions and is slow at making those decisions. Those are the reasons he lost out to Sam Darnold (someone outside of the top 40 for QBs) for a backup job. MAYBE a coach can help get his accuracy up to a low end NFL level but it takes live reps to actually improve the speed of his decision making and he has 1 year of starting experience since High School. If he starts in 2025 he will probably be one of the worst, if not outright the worst, starters in the NFL. The NFL is littered with busts who had all the physical tools and none of the ability to execute. That is actually the reason he might struggle to catch on as a backup as they typically have all of the ability but none of the physical tools.
They said the same thing about Jordan Love. You don't have a clue pal

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Favre was always referred to as a gunslinger. They even have a book Titled “Gunslinger” about him.

https://greenbeanbookspdx.indielite.org/book/9781328745682

Don’t know where you been but plenty referred to Romo as a gunslinger. Try doing a Google. :thumbup:

“On Monday Night Football fans were treated to a gem of a game between the Chicago Bears and Dallas Cowboys. The game featured two of the prominent “Gunslingers” in the game, Jay Cutler and Tony Romo.”

https://www.baconsports.com/the-gunslinger-award/

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/tony-romo-is-skeptical-footballs-gunslinger-of-the-year/

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...k-tony-romo-a-look-at-the-gunslingers-arsenal
LOL. I keep saying it’s a myth created by the media and you keep showing media articles that refer to it. Even Favre said the similarity is overdone in an article you posted and the only thing he described football-wise that was similar to him is his escapability and desire to extend plays when they may not be there. That’s it.

What a stupid definition of “gunslinger” one of the articles provided. Every QB is going to take more risks to get the team back in the game when it is behind in the game and time is ticking. That’s often a requirement when you’re defense can’t stop anyone.

Last edited:

GMO415

Reaction score
If Jerry was smart, he'd make Dak play his last year and simply say "you haven't shown shhhh in the playoffs so you have one year to correct that". They'll be no contract talks UFN

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
LOL. I keep saying it’s a myth created by the media and you keep showing media articles that refer to it. Even Favre said the similarity is overdone in an article you posted and the only thing he described football-wise that was similar to him is his escapability and desire to extend plays when they may not be there. That’s it.
Dude, it isn’t myth even Parcells said a few years ago there were some similarities between Romo and Favre. He talked about Romo’s gunslinger tendencies and that he had some warts. You’re the only one I’ve ever seen try and dispute the Favre/Romo comparisons and the gunslinger mentality. You’re just one of those who dances to the beat of your own drum and thumbs their nose at what everyone else thinks.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Dude, it isn’t myth even Parcells said a few years ago there were some similarities between Romo and Favre. He talked about Romo’s gunslinger tendencies and that he had some warts. You’re the only one I’ve ever seen try and dispute the Favre/Romo comparisons and the gunslinger mentality. You’re just one of those who dances to the beat of your own drum and thumbs their nose at what everyone else thinks.
Parcells used to call him Pancho Villa when he came out of college and was one of the rookie QBs learning while he was playing the vets like Testaverde and Bledsoe. When he decided to start him as a QB he said he’s NOT THAT GUY ANYMORE.

Every QB with confidence in their accuracy and ability thinks they can make most throws no matter how tight the window. That doesn’t make them a gunslinger. A gunslinger is someone who takes unnecessary risks far too often. It’s why Favre had so many three or four interception games, and cost the team when he didn’t need to do those things.

Adreme

Reaction score
They said the same thing about Jordan Love. You don't have a clue pal
Nobody said the same thing about Jordan Love. The things people said about Jordan Love were, "we have no idea what he is but the Packers seem to love him and he has been backing up the reigning back to back MVP so he could be great but just not be that". That was the consensus on Jordan Love. Love did not have 1 year of college tape. Love had NFL games, complete games, where you said "hmmm there might be something here". Trey Lance has had none of that. Trey Lance was a 1 year starter who has looked bad at the NFL level and then lost a backup job to Sam Darnold which is significantly worse than losing a starting just to Aaron Rodgers as Rodgers is winning MVP. They are not even close to the same thing.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No one would seriously consider having your 3rd string QB for 2 years being worth a 4th especially when the starter is an undisputed top 10 QB so there is no chance of starting.
I'm more than ok with it because if Lance shows something the Cowboys will be eager to get out of that enormous financial investment they are getting ready to make in #4.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Parcells used to call him Pancho Villa when he came out of college and was one of the rookie QBs learning while he was playing the vets like Testaverde and Bledsoe. When he decided to start him as a QB he said he’s NOT THAT GUY ANYMORE.

Every QB with confidence in their accuracy and ability thinks they can make most throws no matter how tight the window. That doesn’t make them a gunslinger. A gunslinger is someone who takes unnecessary risks far too often. It’s why Favre had so many three or four interception games, and cost the team when he didn’t need to do those things.
Romo took unnecessary risks far too often because he was a gunslinger. If you don’t want to accept it, that’s fine. We’re just wasting time.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
There's a lot of desperate teams out there in need of a QB and none were willing to part with a 4th except for you know who. The niners were even surprised by it. lol I'm really hoping for the best but expectations are extremely low in this situation.
The 4th is nothing compared to the cap.

Niners GM was shopping the kid all Spring.

We are lucky.

Lance is a phenom at QB.

Tons of video to watch.

#Lance2024

DuncanIso

Reaction score
If Jerry was smart, he'd make Dak play his last year and simply say "you haven't shown shhhh in the playoffs so you have one year to correct that". They'll be no contract talks UFN
Cheaper to just cut Dak.

His career has been a failure.

He can’t win in the playoffs.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cheaper to just cut Dak.

His career has been a failure.

He can’t win in the playoffs.
ncXLzaRri.gif

LocoBates

Reaction score
Romo was a gunslinger. He was a poor man’s Brett Favre. He would force throws into coverage and throw balls up for grabs. He loved Dez because he could throw the ball up and let Dez win the 50/50 battle. Romo also got himself in trouble with impulse throws. When things started going bad with Romo he would implode. When Dak has a bad game, the wheels don’t come completely off with him. Even against Green Bay he was able to settle down and start making some good throws but it was too late.
With all due respect sorry but that is B.S. Prescott was only able to complete passes because GB sat their starters and put 2nd teams on the field, the game was decided, don't give me the "Dak was coming back" bs. It is always like this, lots of garbage time stats that ends with people praising Prescott for his numbers and pointing to the score to show it was "that close" .... pffft
BTW, Prescott is the king of Chokers now..

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
With all due respect sorry but that is B.S. Prescott was only able to complete passes because GB sat their starters and put 2nd teams on the field, the game was decided, don't give me the "Dak was coming back" bs. It is always like this, lots of garbage time stats that ends with people praising Prescott for his numbers and pointing to the score to show it was "that close" .... pffft
BTW, Prescott is the king of Chokers now..
They didn’t sit their staters until the 4th quarter and they ended up bringing them back. He didn’t put up all those yards in one quarter. I never said Dak was coming back, I said he never gave up. The game was over but he never quit. Try reading my posts instead of twisting my comments.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
That’s fine, but it requires the Cowboys take the $59+ million cap hit in the 2024 season. If that’s a plan then it is. I just don’t see Jerry Jones being comfortable with that. Maybe he is.