Trey Lance: Cowboys Starter in 2025?

blueblood70

Reaction score
I said what I said. I don't post that often, but when I do, I better search first to not make you upset? Get a grip dude.

You didn't have to click on this thread. And I'm sure you could choose to ignore me. But here we are. SMH
Ditto and you didn't have to reply you could have just let it go but you couldn't and you still have it sounds like you like it so I'm gonna say it again it's ridiculous it was a bad no check that it was a terrible post Trey Lance will not be the starter in 2025 unless Prescott's leg gets ripped off or if he demands a trade and even then it's a 5050 shot we haven't seen a man take a snap and now there's two posts thinking this dude somehow the future he could not make even a roster that's full of talent with people who gave up three first round draft pick for the guy and they gave up on him they let him walk you're trying to tell me that they don't know how to evaluate talent in San Francisco to a point where they rather have Sam darnold and some of the other guys they brought in over trying to make it work with a guy again they gave up three first round draft picks for this dude who's so far is a huge disappointment might even be the term bust if this happened with the Cowboys like if they drafted this guy this place will be on fire trying to get rid of him because he hasn't done anything in the NFL and yet making money and he's on a roster....

say it again when I first read it and I'm saying it now it's ridiculous for you to even make an assumption that this could even be a possibility especially with the fact that Prescott will be the quarterback this year and anything after this year doesn't matter until it's 2025... You wanna have a discussion like this let's see how Trey Lance looks in preseason camps maybe he gets the backup spot and then we can have that discussion next off season when it's actually worth talking about....​
How about let's see a subject line a new post with Trey Lance versus Cooper rush that's the reality will he make this team over Cooper rush as the backup quarterback that would be the big question this all season not what might happen in 2025 because people are in a hurry to get rid of Prescott...​
I'm gonna say it for the 4th time it's a ridiculous post there was already a discussion on it and it doesn't even need to be discussed it's not even a glimmer like there's not even a candle lit and whether this guy how would it take to be a starter in the NFL....​

blueblood70

Reaction score
That’s fine, but it requires the Cowboys take the $59+ million cap hit in the 2024 season. If that’s a plan then it is. I just don’t see Jerry Jones being comfortable with that. Maybe he is.
The extension versus the no extension is going to come whenever the Dallas Cowboys front office hears what Prescott's demands are what his agents looking for years guarantees total money etc

lot of guys now are asking for fully guaranteed contracts just because of Deshaun Watson which was the dumbest contract in the history of the NFL but we won't know any of this for at least a month they need to get into the new league year figure out how to maneuver money out of restructures figure out what free agents were keeping and which ones we're going after..​
at that point they will find out if they need the extra money, if this team becomes desperate , they will extend Prescott but I think he can also be comfortable...​
I mean what could the cap savings be truly with the new deal if the guy's asking for 55 to $60 million and you have to take in guarantees and bonus and do all the cap numbers and what will be the cap hit under the new contract because there's always going to be money from the old contract that you can't get rid of, you know this is a very complicated thing but if it's not a big savings, if it's 10 million then you can sit on that ,that's not that much money in the grand scheme of things but if it can save you 25,000,000 for 2024 and allows you to build a better team then that's probably what they would do....​

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak Prescott has proven he is a really good regular season QB. Psychologically, something is going on between his ears in the playoffs. Despite his regular season success, has he shown the Joneses enough to warrant a $60 million dollar/year contract extension? I don't think so.

Unlike last time when the Cowboys could have paid him ~$28 million (and punted), this time they have a QB on the roster that is more talented than Cooper Rush and has a higher ceiling. His name? Trey Lance and he's only 23 years old.

My unfounded theory on why Mike McCarthy was retained? He's had a great history of developing young QBs. Trey has a big arm and ton of upside. The Joneses gave up draft capital to trade for this young man (which is huge IMO).

I expect the contract extension negotiations with Dak to drag on past the beginning of the new NFL league year and eventually stall. Trey has a roster bonus of $4.2 million dollars, and I believe he will be QB2 this season.

I think Trey gets the (cheaper) contract extension and Dak is playing his last year in Dallas this season.

Cowboys starter at QB next season: Trey Lance. Book it.
Why not 2024?

GMO415

Reaction score
That’s fine, but it requires the Cowboys take the $59+ million cap hit in the 2024 season. If that’s a plan then it is. I just don’t see Jerry Jones being comfortable with that. Maybe he is.
If teams can walk away from gigantic contracts that Wentz and Gof had, fso can DAL. That's why Lance is here.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dak Prescott has proven he is a really good regular season QB. Psychologically, something is going on between his ears in the playoffs. Despite his regular season success, has he shown the Joneses enough to warrant a $60 million dollar/year contract extension? I don't think so.

Unlike last time when the Cowboys could have paid him ~$28 million (and punted), this time they have a QB on the roster that is more talented than Cooper Rush and has a higher ceiling. His name? Trey Lance and he's only 23 years old.

My unfounded theory on why Mike McCarthy was retained? He's had a great history of developing young QBs. Trey has a big arm and ton of upside. The Joneses gave up draft capital to trade for this young man (which is huge IMO).

I expect the contract extension negotiations with Dak to drag on past the beginning of the new NFL league year and eventually stall. Trey has a roster bonus of $4.2 million dollars, and I believe he will be QB2 this season.

I think Trey gets the (cheaper) contract extension and Dak is playing his last year in Dallas this season.

IMG-1675.jpg

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
If teams can walk away from gigantic contracts that Wentz and Gof had, fso can DAL. That's why Lance is here.
Goff, 4 years $110 million guaranteed, Wentz 4 years $108 million guaranteed, and the Rams and Eagles did not “walk away” from those deals. They traded them to the Lions and Colts respectively. Unlike Prescott, they did not have a “no trade” clause in their deals. In addition, they were traded with years left on their deals. The Cowboys can walk away from Prescott’s current deal. They simply have to be willing to endure the salary cap hit, a situation they knowingly created.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

It's funny, not ha ha funny, that people want to put the entire blame for losses in the playoffs on Prescott and completely forget an offensive line that make no holes for the running game, blown coverages in the secondary, some pure tackling at times, dropped passes, missed field goals, Prescott having to scamble to have time to pass. There is PLENTY of other reasons for those losses other than just Prescott.

GMO415

Reaction score
Goff, 4 years $110 million guaranteed, Wentz 4 years $108 million guaranteed, and the Rams and Eagles did not “walk away” from those deals. They traded them to the Lions and Colts respectively. Unlike Prescott, they did not have a “no trade” clause in their deals. In addition, they were traded with years left on their deals. The Cowboys can walk away from Prescott’s current deal. They simply have to be willing to endure the salary cap hit, a situation they knowingly created.
True. It's Dak's last contract year so let it play out for one more and bounce.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's funny, not ha ha funny, that people want to put the entire blame for losses in the playoffs on Prescott and completely forget an offensive line that make no holes for the running game, blown coverages in the secondary, some pure tackling at times, dropped passes, missed field goals, Prescott having to scamble to have time to pass. There is PLENTY of other reasons for those losses other than just Prescott.
Show me one post of someone blaming only dak.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Point being there are options. Very few are pleasant.
The one option we have....a difficult one to be sure....is plug the two trenches, get a big lber...and find rb1.
Dak will be fine if we can do that....er i think. Might be too much to expect. If it is....why keep paying dak? Its not hate at all...like these yahoo bully tough guys accuse....its business.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Every time either one of them speaks I become closer to being capable of letting this go….which is next to unimaginable and really sad.

It’s not about losing. It’s about them thinking their failure is huge success and refusal to change.

I stopped spending money on this long ago. I’d beg of the rest of you to do the same.

mardwin

Reaction score
Book Trey Lance as the starter in 2025? Dream on! :rolleyes: He may not even be here in 2025. McCarthy was retained because of three straight 12-5 seasons and we just won the division for the second time in 3 years. Jerry feels the team is close and didn’t want to change head coach. It’s that simple.
They are close to imploding after that arse whooping they got from GB.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The difference is Wentz and Goff were extended early, so those deals didn’t have extreme team unfriendly terms.

They wanted Prescott to prove himself, then when he didn’t, they had no alternative, and were backed into a corner….mostly by their own actions.

Basically comes down to Jerry and his kid not being any good at this. They continue to prove that annually.

I’ll save the usual suspects the keystrokes….those 12 win teams were left very short on the field in the end, and are outcoached in the playoffs as a RULE…and you know it….and it’s downhill from here.

The last three years were the peak of what they are capable of.

TheCritic

Reaction score
Don't be surprised if Lance becomes the starter before the end of the 2024 season. Yep , I said it!:thumbup:
As I've told others, Dak is one major injury away from being on the bubble. Prior to Romo getting hurt in the 2016 preseason, no one was thinking that Dak would start games in 2016 let alone win the starting job over Romo. Dak supporters will argue that Dak is much younger than the 2016 Romo and all of that. But I've seen it way too often. Established vet QB gets hurt and the young kid gets a shot. If that happens and if Lance looks even remotely decent, all of a sudden, fans will begin to see a QB who is younger, more athletic, better arm, more upside and all this at a much cheaper price.