Trey Lance: Cowboys Starter in 2025?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Dak Prescott has proven he is a really good regular season QB. Psychologically, something is going on between his ears in the playoffs. Despite his regular season success, has he shown the Joneses enough to warrant a $60 million dollar/year contract extension? I don't think so.

Unlike last time when the Cowboys could have paid him ~$28 million (and punted), this time they have a QB on the roster that is more talented than Cooper Rush and has a higher ceiling. His name? Trey Lance and he's only 23 years old.

My unfounded theory on why Mike McCarthy was retained? He's had a great history of developing young QBs. Trey has a big arm and ton of upside. The Joneses gave up draft capital to trade for this young man (which is huge IMO).

I expect the contract extension negotiations with Dak to drag on past the beginning of the new NFL league year and eventually stall. Trey has a roster bonus of $4.2 million dollars, and I believe he will be QB2 this season.

I think Trey gets the (cheaper) contract extension and Dak is playing his last year in Dallas this season.

Cowboys starter at QB next season: Trey Lance. Book it.
Hahahah

Chasing6

Reaction score
Ditto and you didn't have to reply you could have just let it go but you couldn't and you still have it sounds like you like it so I'm gonna say it again it's ridiculous it was a bad no check that it was a terrible post Trey Lance will not be the starter in 2025 unless Prescott's leg gets ripped off or if he demands a trade and even then it's a 5050 shot we haven't seen a man take a snap and now there's two posts thinking this dude somehow the future he could not make even a roster that's full of talent with people who gave up three first round draft pick for the guy and they gave up on him they let him walk you're trying to tell me that they don't know how to evaluate talent in San Francisco to a point where they rather have Sam darnold and some of the other guys they brought in over trying to make it work with a guy again they gave up three first round draft picks for this dude who's so far is a huge disappointment might even be the term bust if this happened with the Cowboys like if they drafted this guy this place will be on fire trying to get rid of him because he hasn't done anything in the NFL and yet making money and he's on a roster....

say it again when I first read it and I'm saying it now it's ridiculous for you to even make an assumption that this could even be a possibility especially with the fact that Prescott will be the quarterback this year and anything after this year doesn't matter until it's 2025... You wanna have a discussion like this let's see how Trey Lance looks in preseason camps maybe he gets the backup spot and then we can have that discussion next off season when it's actually worth talking about....​
How about let's see a subject line a new post with Trey Lance versus Cooper rush that's the reality will he make this team over Cooper rush as the backup quarterback that would be the big question this all season not what might happen in 2025 because people are in a hurry to get rid of Prescott...​
I'm gonna say it for the 4th time it's a ridiculous post there was already a discussion on it and it doesn't even need to be discussed it's not even a glimmer like there's not even a candle lit and whether this guy how would it take to be a starter in the NFL....​
Trance was not even the starter on the Scout Team. You want you starting D to get good reps in practice.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Trance was not even the starter on the Scout Team. You want you starting D to get good reps in practice.
Dude I'm not responding to you except for this your posts are out of control and some of these things about the quarterbacks and Trey Lance and it seems like you now made it your mission to just have this thread go on from millennia never ending Infinity of nonsense we all have our opinions you have yours but you seem to set at your desk waiting for each reply for the last over a week on a a very weak debate who cares what you think about Trey Lance it only matters what the Cowboys think of him and if he doesn't work out he doesn't work out teams bust on 4th round picks all the time hell they bust on first round picks you act like somehow this was a monumental mistake that they went out and made an effort to possibly find a guy that's gonna be the backup quarterback of the future and possibly develop into something dudes are not all instantaneously good but the fact that you're fighting so hard to be the mayor of the mistake Trey Lance was and how you know everything about how this is all going to work out it's really mind boggling that you picked this fight to be your wont back down post..

I said what I said I'm standing by it I'm not going to go back and reread all this and I don't really care how you feel or anybody else feels I said what I said because that's my opinion and you can say all you want but you are not at GM you're not a scout you're not part of an NFL team nor is anybody else in here have anymore validation besides an opinion than anyone else there's no one that sits in here that can claim to be the mayor of NFL football valuation nobody everybody who doesn't like our team or the players are so ridiculous in the 1st place they think they have a clue on how to rebuild this team on a yearly basis...

But again it's mind boggling that you pick Trey Lance it's your legacy argument debate that you won't let go the dude the third quarterback on this team that's where it's at I believe he'll get a lot more action in preseason this year and we'll get a better look at what he may or may not be and really frankly I don't give a **** if he works out or not...​

Chasing6

Reaction score
Dude I'm not responding to you except for this your posts are out of control and some of these things about the quarterbacks and Trey Lance and it seems like you now made it your mission to just have this thread go on from millennia never ending Infinity of nonsense we all have our opinions you have yours but you seem to set at your desk waiting for each reply for the last over a week on a a very weak debate who cares what you think about Trey Lance it only matters what the Cowboys think of him and if he doesn't work out he doesn't work out teams bust on 4th round picks all the time hell they bust on first round picks you act like somehow this was a monumental mistake that they went out and made an effort to possibly find a guy that's gonna be the backup quarterback of the future and possibly develop into something dudes are not all instantaneously good but the fact that you're fighting so hard to be the mayor of the mistake Trey Lance was and how you know everything about how this is all going to work out it's really mind boggling that you picked this fight to be your wont back down post..

I said what I said I'm standing by it I'm not going to go back and reread all this and I don't really care how you feel or anybody else feels I said what I said because that's my opinion and you can say all you want but you are not at GM you're not a scout you're not part of an NFL team nor is anybody else in here have anymore validation besides an opinion than anyone else there's no one that sits in here that can claim to be the mayor of NFL football valuation nobody everybody who doesn't like our team or the players are so ridiculous in the 1st place they think they have a clue on how to rebuild this team on a yearly basis...

But again it's mind boggling that you pick Trey Lance it's your legacy argument debate that you won't let go the dude the third quarterback on this team that's where it's at I believe he'll get a lot more action in preseason this year and we'll get a better look at what he may or may not be and really frankly I don't give a **** if he works out or not...​
What is mind boggling is all the Dak hatters who believed Trance was going to be our starter in 2024.

What is mind boggling is GM Jeruh, making a dumb decision all by himself, because he damn well new, no one else would agree with him.

What is mind boggling is that he also, extremely over paid in the trade, basically bidding against himself.

What is mind boggling is giving away a pick and $ that we need to fill holes on our roster, to a player that never had a chance to play due to Dak's current contract.

What is mind boggling is GM Jeruh, thought this trade might create some leverage with Dak's negotiations.

What is mind boggling is giving more ammunition to the team we are literally trying catch up to in the NFC.

What is mind boggling is some fans are still in a Trance and still think he may start somehow in 2024, when this athlete basically did not play in HS, only 1 year in college and has sat for the last 4+ years.

What is mind boggling is, some fans think you become a better QB by watching, supposedly a loser like Dak.

What is mind boggling, is some fans think McCarthy, as a QB whisperer, has been a lot of time with Trance.

What is mind boggling, is fans thinking an athlete can become a starting caliber QB in 1 preseason.

I will continue to talk about Trance, until the Trance wears off, and Cowboy fans wake up.

blueblood70

Reaction score
What is mind boggling is all the Dak hatters who believed Trance was going to be our starter in 2024.

What is mind boggling is GM Jeruh, making a dumb decision all by himself, because he damn well new, no one else would agree with him.

What is mind boggling is that he also, extremely over paid in the trade, basically bidding against himself.

What is mind boggling is giving away a pick and $ that we need to fill holes on our roster, to a player that never had a chance to play due to Dak's current contract.

What is mind boggling is GM Jeruh, thought this trade might create some leverage with Dak's negotiations.

What is mind boggling is giving more ammunition to the team we are literally trying catch up to in the NFC.

What is mind boggling is some fans are still in a Trance and still think he may start somehow in 2024, when this athlete basically did not play in HS, only 1 year in college and has sat for the last 4+ years.

What is mind boggling is, some fans think you become a better QB by watching, supposedly a loser like Dak.

What is mind boggling, is some fans think McCarthy, as a QB whisperer, has been a lot of time with Trance.

What is mind boggling, is fans thinking an athlete can become a starting caliber QB in 1 preseason.

I will continue to talk about Trance, until the Trance wears off, and Cowboy fans wake up.
not reading al that mess,

i said what i said and your response proves my point..keep up the good fight on trey lance.... insanity has taken hold since the GB loss and you are leading that group.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dak Prescott has proven he is a really good regular season QB. Psychologically, something is going on between his ears in the playoffs. Despite his regular season success, has he shown the Joneses enough to warrant a $60 million dollar/year contract extension? I don't think so.

Unlike last time when the Cowboys could have paid him ~$28 million (and punted), this time they have a QB on the roster that is more talented than Cooper Rush and has a higher ceiling. His name? Trey Lance and he's only 23 years old.

My unfounded theory on why Mike McCarthy was retained? He's had a great history of developing young QBs. Trey has a big arm and ton of upside. The Joneses gave up draft capital to trade for this young man (which is huge IMO).

I expect the contract extension negotiations with Dak to drag on past the beginning of the new NFL league year and eventually stall. Trey has a roster bonus of $4.2 million dollars, and I believe he will be QB2 this season.

I think Trey gets the (cheaper) contract extension and Dak is playing his last year in Dallas this season.

Dude couldn't beat out Sam Darnold. He isnt starting anywhere anytime soon. Dallas is his last stop before washing out

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Pete, I don’t think we have enough info yet to “book” that Trey Lance is absolutely the starter of the future. He will certainly have the opportunity in the upcoming training camp and preseason games to show off what he has. Maybe he has what it takes - maybe he doesn’t.
I feel this offseason is a critical one for Lance. He needs to show progression. He has been given a year off. Now its time to show it, and kick Rush off the roster. If he can't do that, then they should just cut bait and call it a bad 4th round pick.

Chasing6

Reaction score
not reading al that mess,

i said what i said and your response proves my point..keep up the good fight on trey lance.... insanity has taken hold since the GB loss and you are leading that group.
It has really nothing to do with Trance. It has do with GM Jeruh wasting needed picks and cap space, when he new he was going to have to sign Dak anyway.

Now if we had used a 4th on a QB and had their rights for 4 years, time to evaluate and develop, within a time line of Dak's departure I could see how that makes sense.

This was clearly not the case. It was a dumb move.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

I don't believe Fat Mac is spending his last year here being Lance's mentor.
He's a lame duck but is treading water and wants to show Jerald he can go deep into the playoffs.

MikeT22

Reaction score
I don't believe Fat Mac is spending his last year here being Lance's mentor.
He's a lame duck but is treading water and wants to show Jerald he can go deep into the playoffs.
Jerry's just making him work the last year of his contract.

Chasing6

Reaction score

How or why would you come to the conclusion that McCarthy is or would be spending any significant time with his 3rd string QB, when his job is to make sure his team is getting ready for a game on Sunday?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
How or why would you come to the conclusion that McCarthy is or would be spending any significant time with his 3rd string QB, when his job is to make sure his team is getting ready for a game on Sunday?
just say you're in love with dak and will not be happy with any other QB and move alone. sheesh.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are so right Jazzy regarding what we will hear in TC, mini-camps, etc. Never is heard a discouraging word about any player. Every TC there will be some career backup player who is “having a great training camp” followed by a visit from “the Turk“ weeks later, lol!
@jazzcat22

"That guy(s)" (stars of training camp) was Micah Parson, Deron Bland and Tyler Smith in recent years.

The star UDFA a few years ago was Steele.

There was a good buzz about Ferguson his rookie training camp.

There was a big buzz about Diggs and CeeDee starting with their rookie mini-camps.

Not Hyped in Training Camp
There was immediate disappointment with Taco, T. Hill, N. Wright, K. Joseph.

The primary hyped but eventually disappointed players I remember in recent years...
Gallimore
RB Malik Davis

The only hyped draft pick in the 2023 camp was Overshown...his outcome is TBD due to injury.

UDFA T.J. Bass gor some hype last year and played reasonably well during the season when he got the opportunity.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Dude couldn't beat out Sam Darnold. He isnt starting anywhere anytime soon. Dallas is his last stop before washing out
well what you said is true except for washing out we don't know this they're quarterbacks that took a while to grow I mean Gino Smith is the face of that right now you got Baker Mayfield having a resurgence I know he's not a great example but there are plenty of others they move around they have solid careers as a backup if he becomes a very good backup and possibly a guy that can win you five or six games subbing in or if he has to be a long reliever type that would be fine and you saying he's washing out would be ridiculous because you don't know that the man hasn't got a full chance yet healthy so while I agree there's a reason he was let go that doesn't mean his career is over..

I don't know if you looked around the NFL recently especially last year I mean last season you know many backup quarterbacks played for a very long stretches in the NFL it's important to have that guy and maybe we can groom this guy to be that guy I mean to me he's probably gonna be better than Cooper rush he's got more skill set he just has to get the mental part right and sometimes getting cut from a team have to sit and watch it kind of helps the guy in his career kind of find himself....

I think it's ironic a lot of this place having a frenzy over say a guy like Mike white how the Cowboys would rue the day because they saw what he did with The Jets over a three-game stretch and then disappeared again well I believe Trey Lance probably gonna be better than that he has that potential anyway I mean you can't just throw a guy away and say he's gonna be washed without him getting a true chance to play whether that means being cut from the Cowboys playing in the another league and then coming back it happens there's some very solid backups doing that right now making very good NFL money, can't just roll with one guy anymore,,.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying I have faith that he's gonna turn into anything but I think the guy's got some athletic ability and some potential or he never would have been drafted where he was drafted for three first round picks I realize teams make mistakes but they saw something in him so let's let that play itself out before we call the guy a total failure...

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I wouldn't be overly surprised if Trey Lance outplayed Cooper Rush in TC.

It might precede Lance being Dak's backup in 2025. We'll see about that.

Not saying it's a sure thing or anything, but stranger things often happen.

Last edited:

DuncanIso

Reaction score

He’s the future QB man. He’s been a phenom.

Dak has been a failure.

He can’t win playoff games.

Plus, he is too expensive. Costs us mega millions $$$$