Trey Lance deserves playing time in real games

leeblair

Reaction score
He doesn't get snaps in practice with the first team and hasn't had any snaps with the first team in the preseason. He isn't getting the benefit of the doubt.
Does his play improve behind the first team OL? Does his play improve with having the likes of Lamb and Cooks running routes? How does Dak play if he is forced to play behind backups and ST players?
In the next game against the Chargers hopefully we get to see Lance playing with the big dogs for a little bit.
If Dak ever had to play with only backups he'd be done.
He's never had to, and it's one reason why he chokes when things don't go well.
So when anyone insults Lance or Cooper Rush, they are being hypocritical.
If Dak had to play with the backups he'd soon be out of the NFL altogether.

TasteMyScythe

Reaction score
From what I've seen from Lance so far, and I'm not talking about the throwing issues or if he can read a defense. What I notice the most is his poise in the pocket, and I can see just from the last two games that his confidence is slowing growing throughout the games. Giving those two things his chances of developing a fare better. Granted everything he is seeing defensively is vanilla when it comes to opposing teams in the preseason. But, in practice you know that Zimmer is giving him looks to challenge him to see how he reacts.
When it comes to Dak I've always rooted for him just as I've had for every player who's ever worn the star. I don't care about stats and how they played the year before. It's always about what are you going to do for me now. Dak hasn't proven enough to me that he is going to do anything for me now. He's played with some of the best OL in the league, he's played with some of the best skilled players in the league. But, when it comes to the big moments he falters, for whatever reason. Some have "it" and some don't, and I feel he doesn't have "it".
Does Lance have "it"? Who knows, but if we strap ourselves to Dak for another few years we'll never know. But I'm certain some other team will find out

TasteMyScythe

Reaction score
Another thing I might add...It's one thing to be productive in practice and show all the goods, as the coaches are saying. But how productive is a player when the lights come on? Does he shrivel or does he step up on stage and take control? Every player has to answer that question and the only way to find that out is to step up on stage.
The longer Dak contract issue goes on the better it's looking for Lance, and that's because he is continuing to show the coaches something and gaining their trust. If Dak plays this year without a new deal it's because the coaches trust Lance and Dak we be gone. The thing I don't like is having both QB's being FA next year. They need to make a choice this season.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
How can the Cowboys bring him this far and just stop?
If they want to develop the kid he should get to keep building on what he's doing. If he continues to show improvement, he should get reps with the first string in a real game situation.
It may be time for the Cowboys to make the hard choice and commit to the future.
Maybe in the wildcat

TasteMyScythe

Reaction score
Our QB situation kind of reminds me of when Morton was the starter and Staubach was backing him up. Do to Navy requirements Staubach was only allowed to participate in training camps and wasn't getting the snaps he needed. Landry was so systematic and that was what he wanted his QB to be, so Morton had the advantage. But, once Staubach was able to see the field (alternating snaps) Landry saw something that made him change his mind, and that was how the players reacted to Staubach during a game. Staubach gave everyone the belief that they were going to win every game.
I'm not saying Lance has that in him, and If he does, he doesn't know it yet. Staubach always had "it" even in college.

Retro88

Reaction score
I'm assuming you mean other than when he came into the league and played very well in preseason right? You know that one thing that Lance isn't doing right now.

Adreme

Reaction score
Actually, Dak should be made to play with the second and third stringers. He's never had to.
He might learn how to deal with pressure.
We know exactly how that would go. He would completely dominate them because every other starter who has shown themselves to look good against actual starters has dominated the backups and rookies at the start of the game. The idea that Lance can only look mediocre against players a tier worse than that is all that needs to be said about him.

leeblair

Reaction score
We know exactly how that would go. He would completely dominate them because every other starter who has shown themselves to look good against actual starters has dominated the backups and rookies at the start of the game. The idea that Lance can only look mediocre against players a tier worse than that is all that needs to be said about him.
No, we don't because we have never seen Dak with rushers in his face and guys who don't care to hit him.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Of course he did, the posters that disagree don't want to plan for the future and just keep up the same old same old.

As Cowboy fans, why not hope for the best going forward? Even if they were to make another mistake with the QB situation, they must have to have a plan for a new one.
These are the same people that keep asking what the plan is if the Cowboys move on from Dak

leeblair

Reaction score
I'm assuming you mean other than when he came into the league and played very well in preseason right? You know that one thing that Lance isn't doing right now.
Dak didn't play much in preseason because Tony Romo got hurt and then Kellen and another qb took the reps. And Zeke drew most of the attention.
Dak was gifted the best offensive line in football and then he choked vs Green Bay in the playoffs.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Karl taught you well.

quote-karl-marx-accuse-your-enemy-of-what-youre-doing-create-confusion.jpg
Does this apply to those calling Lance a Bus Driver that is slow to read defenses and go through his progressions

leeblair

Reaction score
Yes we have! You're just willfully being ignorant ** at this point.
Yes, we have. Versus Arizona last season, and he choked.
Versus San Francisco, and he choked.
Versus the Lions two years ago, and he choked.
Who can forget him losing the NFC East in 2019 because Minnesota, Buffalo, Chicago, and the Eagles backups came to play and he choked.
So yeah, maybe you're right. Every time he feels the pressure, he chokes.

Retro88

Reaction score
Dak didn't play much in preseason because Tony Romo got hurt and then Kellen and another qb took the reps. And Zeke drew most of the attention.
Dak was gifted the best offensive line in football and then he choked vs Green Bay in the playoffs.
Dude, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Every post you make is wrong. Besides having a ridiculous premise to start with....Romo got hurt in the 3rd game and Dak still played his half as well as he got extensive work in the first 2 games.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is pretty good through 2 preseason games for a “raw” QB.

Lances rankings through 2 preseason games:

Passing yards - 2nd
Completion percentage- 11th
Yards per game - 2nd
Passing TDs - tied for 3rd
INTs - 1st (zero INTs)
QB Rating - 9th

Rushing yards - 12th (1st in QBs)
Rushing YPG - 10th (1st in QBs)
Rushing TDs - tied for 2nd
Fumbles - 1st (zero fumbles)

Not to shabby.

The added fact that he makes Dak fans emotional nervous wrecks is just a bonus.
Aren't you the one who states Dak pads his stats against bad teams? And those teams are manned with players that made the cut to get to the regular season. One might make the argument Lance faced players who will soon be searching for their next opportunity. Maybe some kinda football in Canada, or kiddie leagues.
You post stats from preseason games as if they mean a whole heck of a lot.

I find that both hysterical and myopic, in an attempt to suggest this guy is more than he is, since you are the architect of this narrative.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Do you feel he's shown enough that he could carry us for some games
There is games where Dak’s arm is completely useless and it would be nice to have Lance’s legs to possibly bail us out when Dak is going into a shell.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
No doubt he has wheels and can make moves with his legs but he is inaccurate and an erratic thrower. Worst possible type of NFL QB. Not saying he can't fix it but I don't like what I've seen there. Gives me flashbacks to the Quincy days. No thanks!!
YES!!!! i have a Carter jersey i was pulling for him until he snorted his way out of the NFL. but lance reminds me of his in his throwing motion and accuracy

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He’s gonna be QB2 soon.

Rush iisnt the same player as Lance.

Not even close.
Rush has 1 big advantage over Lance.

He can get the ball where it needs to go and on time.

Lance will only acquire this ability with more playing time and experience.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Rush has 1 big advantage over Lance.

He can get the ball where it needs to go and on time.

Lance will only acquire this ability with more playing time and experience.
Lance isn’t a rookie.

And Rush is UFA after the season.

I think the QB2 changes happens quickly.

More pressure on Dak.

Dallas can pickup Rush or another QB3 after week 1.