Trey Lance deserves playing time in real games

stiletto

Reaction score
The so-called "runner up" chokes every time the pressure is on.
I wonder if the MVP voting is legitimate, or if it, too, is based upon what the players and owners think is best for the league.
It's strange how Lamar got it after his huge payday and Dak was supposedly runner up with a huge contract extension looming in which the players hoped he would "reset" the market.
Nothing in the NFL is as it seems anymore.

It's time to move on.
I want to move on from Dak too but I don't want to get rid of him enough to turn it over to a guy that plays like Quincy Carter (he looks just like Quincy throwing the football). Let's get real. They need to let Lance develop more. It may ruin him for good to throw him to the wolves in Dallas. 49ers almost ruined him already.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The so-called "runner up" chokes every time the pressure is on.
I wonder if the MVP voting is legitimate, or if it, too, is based upon what the players and owners think is best for the league.
It's strange how Lamar got it after his huge payday and Dak was supposedly runner up with a huge contract extension looming in which the players hoped he would "reset" the market.
Nothing in the NFL is as it seems anymore.

It's time to move on.
:facepalm:

FVSTONE

Reaction score
How can the Cowboys bring him this far and just stop?
If they want to develop the kid he should get to keep building on what he's doing. If he continues to show improvement, he should get reps with the first string in a real game situation.
It may be time for the Cowboys to make the hard choice and commit to the future.
Lance would have trouble beating out these QBs, if he was still playing college ball and you think he has EARNED the right to take snaps in a real NFL game.................LOL!
  1. Carson Beck (Georgia Bulldogs)
  2. Dillon Gabriel (Oregon Ducks)
  3. Jalen Milroe (Alabama Crimson Tide)
  4. Shedeur Sanders (Colorado Buffaloes)
  5. Quinn Ewers (Texas Longhorns)
  6. Jaxson Dart (Ole Miss Rebels)
  7. Garrett Greene (West Virginia Mountaineers)
  8. Drew Allar (Penn State Nittany Lions
Lance was buried on the 9ers depth chart and he should be buried on the Cowboy's depth chart too. No way should he be handed a starting job with two healthy QBs ahead of him and if he was to start for the Boys they would be favored to win the No 1 pick in the NFL draft. At best, he needs to be on a practice squad team making the bare minimum of a practice squad player's salary, that's how bad he is. JJ blew a 4th rd pick on Lance because he saw a shooting star the night before.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
I want to move on from Dak too but I don't want to get rid of him enough to turn it over to a guy that plays like Quincy Carter (he looks just like Quincy throwing the football). Let's get real. They need to let Lance develop more. It may ruin him for good to throw him to the wolves in Dallas. 49ers almost ruined him already.
i cannot agree more than this post. Lance needed 1 or 2 more years in college IMO. the Niners over drafted the kid, nothing wrong with that. but he's needed more work, has not put in the effort that i can see. reminds me of a 3rd round or later QB that needs to be with a QB GURU for the next 4 years before even sniffing a starting role. Can he get there? sure if he puts in the work but im not seeing him do that outside of rehab and this summer videos. what was he doing last 3 years living off his 1 season in college thinking he needs to work on nothing to me.

stiletto

Reaction score
i cannot agree more than this post. Lance needed 1 or 2 more years in college IMO. the Niners over drafted the kid, nothing wrong with that. but he's needed more work, has not put in the effort that i can see. reminds me of a 3rd round or later QB that needs to be with a QB GURU for the next 4 years before even sniffing a starting role. Can he get there? sure if he puts in the work but im not seeing him do that outside of rehab and this summer videos. what was he doing last 3 years living off his 1 season in college thinking he needs to work on nothing to me.
No doubt he has wheels and can make moves with his legs but he is inaccurate and an erratic thrower. Worst possible type of NFL QB. Not saying he can't fix it but I don't like what I've seen there. Gives me flashbacks to the Quincy days. No thanks!!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Look at it this way:
If they realize after this season that Lance isn't the guy, they get a high draft pick to find one next season.
Or (most likely):

"If they realize after this season that Lance isn't the guy, they may get a high draft pick to perhaps find one next season if Jerry Jones is so inclined."

What observers might do is not very often what Jones decides to do, especially in the draft.

leeblair

Reaction score
Lance would have trouble beating out these QBs, if he was still playing college ball and you think he has EARNED the right to take snaps in a real NFL game.................LOL!
  1. Carson Beck (Georgia Bulldogs)
  2. Dillon Gabriel (Oregon Ducks)
  3. Jalen Milroe (Alabama Crimson Tide)
  4. Shedeur Sanders (Colorado Buffaloes)
  5. Quinn Ewers (Texas Longhorns)
  6. Jaxson Dart (Ole Miss Rebels)
  7. Garrett Greene (West Virginia Mountaineers)
  8. Drew Allar (Penn State Nittany Lions
Lance was buried on the 9ers depth chart and he should be buried on the Cowboy's depth chart too. No way should he be handed a starting job with two healthy QBs ahead of him and if he was to start for the Boys they would be favored to win the No 1 pick in the NFL draft. At best, he needs to be on a practice squad team making the bare minimum of a practice squad player's salary, that's how bad he is. JJ blew a 4th rd pick on Lance because he saw a shooting star the night before.
It's all a matter of what each program or organization wants.
How often do they make the wrong choice? Very often.
So whether or not he could beat another guy out is all conjecture.
In this situation, Trey Lance has the potential to be what the Cowboys desperately need.
The question is whether or not they recognize that.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This is pretty good through 2 preseason games for a “raw” QB.

Lances rankings through 2 preseason games:

Passing yards - 2nd
Completion percentage- 11th
Yards per game - 2nd
Passing TDs - tied for 3rd
INTs - 1st (zero INTs)
QB Rating - 9th

Rushing yards - 12th (1st in QBs)
Rushing YPG - 10th (1st in QBs)
Rushing TDs - tied for 2nd
Fumbles - 1st (zero fumbles)

Not to shabby.

The added fact that he makes Dak fans emotional nervous wrecks is just a bonus.
The fact that he was playing with rookies, backups and practice squad guys, especially in this last game when they went against the Raiders 1st team defense until halftime, is pretty impressive.

TheCritic

Reaction score
He’ll get it eventually.

He needs to be solid in this last preseason game.

If he is the “We Want Lance” chats will be deafening anytime Dak makes a mistake this year.

This will be the first time in Dak’s career that he’ll have a QB behind him the crowd is rooting for.
Nothing particular about Lance or anything special going on. Every starting QB in their 30s will face a younger QB prospect breathing down their neck.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Prescott is still under contract thru this season. Cut/trade Cooper Rush who has hit his ceiling and roll with Lance as the backup. If the starter goes down for any significant part of the season it probably won’t matter who the backup is anyway - and Trey Lance will get any mop-up reps for Wonderboy 4 if Dak DOES stay healthy. Either way, Lance won’t be seeing enough PT on the practice squad - so find a way to get him into real games.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
They know, or should know by now, that Dak is not the answer.
But Lance might be.
they know by now, that Lance is not the answer. if they did, they would have picked up his 25 option for a mere 25M. that tells you what they think and they have seen him in practice heck of a lot more than you have seen him in highlights in preseason.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
they know by now, that Lance is not the answer. if they did, they would have picked up his 25 option for a mere 25M. that tells you what they think and they have seen him in practice heck of a lot more than you have seen him in highlights in preseason.
How come Dak has not accepted the offer given to him? He said he deserved it. Greedy or what? Or is it the "next in line" thing he is waiting on?

leeblair

Reaction score
Yet they had not seen him in a game when they made that decision.
And picking up his option would have set the stage for another high payout the year after.
It was the smart move not to pick up his option and then get him under contract for three or four years while he is still unproven.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
How can the Cowboys bring him this far and just stop?
If they want to develop the kid he should get to keep building on what he's doing. If he continues to show improvement, he should get reps with the first string in a real game situation.
It may be time for the Cowboys to make the hard choice and commit to the future.
you must enjoy losing seasons.