Trey Lance mop up duty?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
So you think we will pay Dak $60M next year and let him walk for Try Lance?
Unless Dak wins a Super Bowl, I believe he is going to be a June cut in 2024.

A Pro Bowl would help his cause. Hasnt been on the Pro Bowl roster since 2018.

per Spotrac: [an awesome resource for cap numbers.]

POTENTIAL OUT: 2024, 3 YR, $126,000,000; $61,915,000 DEAD CAP

DuncanIso

Reaction score
If I’m not mistaken, that figure is the dead cap hit(which can be stretched to two seasons), not his salary. I think after this season, all of his guaranteed money is paid out. Don’t quote me on that though :thumbup:
Yup.

Dallas has to decide if the cap hit over two seasons is an advantage over a new mega millions contract for Dak.

If Dak gets the new contract, then Lance is likely done in Dallas. As will be our cap for many seasons.

This wasn't even an option before the Lance trade.

Now...there are possibilities.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yup.

Dallas has to decide if the cap hit over two seasons is an advantage over a new mega millions contract for Dak.

If Dak gets the new contract, then Lance is likely done in Dallas. As will be our cap for many seasons.

No way we are going to put Trey Lance as QB1 next year. Zero!!!

Jimbo123

Reaction score

Cooper Rush ain't getting you even the playoff in 2024 if they cut Dak.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score

I think you need to push that cocktail back toward the bartender and call an Uber.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

He is not. Cowboys don't believe in any of the backups and have no real alternative. The coach will be let go before they let Dak go.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Yup.

They have e Lance in 2024 I believe before they have to decide. I think dak is here through 2024. Lance has to show he can beat out Ruah. If he can't then he sucks anyway

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Y’all keep saying this but Dak literally gets invited to the Pro Bowl and declines.

Cowboys' Dak Prescott Reportedly Passed on 2022 NFL Pro Bowl to Rest. Dallas Cowboy star Dak Prescott turned down the opportunity to represent the NFC in the Pro Bowl as an injury replacement, according to ESPN's Todd Archer. Two spots opened up after Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers pulled out of the event.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
They have e Lance in 2024 I believe before they have to decide. I think dak is here through 2024. Lance has to show he can beat out Ruah. If he can't then he sucks anyway
If they designate Dak as a post June 1 cut, then they save tons of $$$.

2024 dead cap: 25,455,000
2025 dead cap: 36,460,000

2024 cap save: 34,000,000

Thats an easy call.

I believe that’s why they made the trade for Lance.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Thats an easy call.

one would do that, if there was a better alternative. Lance clearly is not the better alternative. if we are in the midst of a rebuild, then that would also make sense, but we are not in the midst of a rebuild. I am not saying Dak is the answer, but what's the alternative that makes this team better? I know people say, with the extra money we build a team? from where FA? a bunch of old over the hill players, a bunch of headaches, a bunch of injured players, because any player worth their dime is getting resigned by their team, specially when it comes to QB.

the point being is not about playing spreadsheed math and making numbers work. its about becoming a better team. show how we become better....then I am onboard

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

Thats an easy call.

man the wall you're heading for is sturdy, you need to brace for impact.

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
one would do that, if there was a better alternative. Lance clearly is not the better alternative. if we are in the midst of a rebuild, then that would also make sense, but we are not in the midst of a rebuild. I am not saying Dak is the answer, but what's the alternative that makes this team better? I know people say, with the extra money we build a team? from where FA? a bunch of old over the hill players, a bunch of headaches, a bunch of injured players, because any player worth their dime is getting resigned by their team, specially when it comes to QB.

the point being is not about playing spreadsheed math and making numbers work. its about becoming a better team. show how we become better....then I am onboard
If the #3 overall pick from a couple of years ago couldn't *possibly* be the answer, then you take the lumps and move on. As in go to full rebuild mode. Folks are tired of one and done in the playoffs with Dak anyway, and let's face it Dak is not getting any younger, so why not go into hell for a little while and get out of perpetual purgatory so we can work on the next franchise QB? Dallas had to go through '88-'89 in order to get the majority of core players they got for those championship runs. And if Trey can't do it, then while you're in full rebuild mode, you may as well see what draft capital you can get for a guy like Parsons before you can't afford to sign him after his rookie contract expires.

TheCritic

Reaction score
Here's my summary of the Cowboys QB school this season:
1. Dak is playing this season for his future as a Dallas Cowboy. If he leads the Cowboys to the SB this season, I can see the Cowboys extending him and Trey Lance will be the #2 backup starting next season.
2. No matter how well Dak plays, he is always potentially one injury away from being the next 2016 Romo, meaning losing his starting job to a younger QB prospect. People forget that Romo was one of the highest paid QBs in the league at the time he got hurt and lost his starting job. If the Cowboys needed to move from Dak, they can make it happen. But as long as Dak is playing at the level he is playing right now, he'll keep his job.
3. Forget about Cooper Rush. Even he understands his limited athletic talent and relies on his NFL experience and IQ to make it in this league. He may be on the Cowboys roster next season as the 3rd back emergency QB, but other than that, the #2 backup belongs to Lance and I can think of 5 million reasons why.
4. Of all the Cowboys QBs, as far as the long term future, Trey Lance is in the drivers seat, not Dak Prescott. Stop listening to the whiners who say Lance is an unknown, blah-blah-blah. Don't worry about that. McCarthy knows a thing or two about developing QBs and will get this kid ready. Ask Brett Favre about whether McCarthy has the balls to move on from a franchise QB.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
1. Dak is playing this season for his future as a Dallas Cowboy. If he leads the Cowboys to the SB this season, I can see the Cowboys extending him and Trey Lance will be the #2 backup starting next season.
2. No matter how well Dak plays, he is always potentially one injury away from being the next 2016 Romo, meaning losing his starting job to a younger QB prospect. People forget that Romo was one of the highest paid QBs in the league at the time he got hurt and lost his starting job. If the Cowboys needed to move from Dak, they can make it happen. But as long as Dak is playing at the level he is playing right now, he'll keep his job.
3. Forget about Cooper Rush. Even he understands his limited athletic talent and relies on his NFL experience and IQ to make it in this league. He may be on the Cowboys roster next season as the 3rd back emergency QB, but other than that, the #2 backup belongs to Lance and I can think of 5 million reasons why.
4. Of all the Cowboys QBs, as far as the long term future, Trey Lance is in the drivers seat, not Dak Prescott. Stop listening to the whiners who say Lance is an unknown, blah-blah-blah. Don't worry about that. McCarthy knows a thing or two about developing QBs and will get this kid ready. Ask Brett Favre about whether McCarthy has the balls to move on from a franchise QB.
And even an accomplished a college quarterback as Aaron Rodgers was it was in his third year as a starter the McCarthy Packers won the Super Bowl. If Lance could match that, Jerry would be 85 years old, assuming he is still with us. I believe Jerry Jones’ sense of urgency will encourage an extension for Dak.

Motorola

Reaction score
To 'The Critic - your opin

Fmart322

Reaction score
It's to bad we can't play him in blow out games like the 3 games against nyc teams. It would be nice to see what he has to offer.