Trey Lance mop up duty?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Want versus need. Some Cowboys fans want Trey Lance to play in order to judge what he can do for themselves. The Cowboys coaching staff have four regular season games' worth of film on Trey Lance starting for San Francisco. There is zero need for them to see what Lance is capable of.
2023 is about Dak.

There are $61 million reasons why Dak is a June cut next March. [hes UFA after 2024.]

Lance 2024.

Of course, Jerry could always extend Dak. And pay another 160 million.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Yep, temper expectations, he's never played much at any level. Since puberty, he has only 533 pass attempts if you count all his High School, College, and NFL passes. Dak, so far, this season has 300 attempts, for some context.
And Dak is making $$$ to lose in playoff games.

This thing is gonna end soon with Dak.

There is a reason they went after Lance.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I love you guys here. You expect all players to immediately become All-Pro's. The guy has started all of 4 games due to injuries and yet you are ready to write him off as a bust in only his 3rd year. The guy is like 23 years old and has all the tools to be an NFL QB. We traded for him knowing he will be able to just sit and learn for a year or two. Does that mean he will become a great player? No, of course not. But if he doesn't all we've lost is a 4th round pick on a guy who was thought to be a top QB.

Yeah, I get it. Jamarcus Russell was taken #1 overall but so was Troy Aikman.
Carson Wentz “has all the tools to be an NFL QB” except the most important one. Only way that was found out was him getting the opportunity to play. Granted he has accomplished something in the NFL, quite a bit more in his first three years compared than Lance. He was just acquired for no draft picks and no one and is paid less than Lance is. Lance isn’t Wentz or Dobbs or even Jamarcus Russell. And the Cowboys are not going to find out what he is in practice or preseason games. It was a waste of a fourth round pick.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
2023 is about Dak.

There are $61 million reasons why Dak is a June cut next March. [hes UFA after 2024.]

Lance 2024.

Of course, Jerry could always extend Dak. And pay another 160 million.
Dak is going to get a very lucrative and final contract in his career and be with the Cowboys another four or five years. He has his detractors here, but if we’re being honest he deserves it and has earned it. No one in their right mind wants to hand the reins over to Trey Lance at this time.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I’m ready for folks to stop asking lol. The rule is the rule and he won’t ever be above Rush this season. If Dak goes down they go with the vet they trust who they’ve seen win games for them before.

Not a snowballs chance we see Lance outside of a last game of the season resting starters thing or major QB room injuries.
I am ready for folks to realize we wasted a 4th round pick.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
And Dak is making $$$ to lose in playoff games.

This thing is gonna end soon with Dak.

There is a reason they went after Lance.
Virtually every QB not named Mahomes is getting paid to lose playoff games. Lance is a developmental QB that may eventually reach his potential, but it won't be this season or next. This team is ready to contend now, but Lance isn't.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I’m not complaining. I’m asking for help to understand it. I suppose that’s comes across as odd in a land of ‘know it alls’

Again, my best guess is it’s a hedge bet against Dak health maybe, but that seems odd, considering other circumstances.

What is he supposed to become? A backup to Dak? A situation type of RPO guy?

I’m not bashing the FO over the decision, just trying to make sense of what the plan is for him.
It’s a two year lottery ticket.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I love you guys here. You expect all players to immediately become All-Pro's. The guy has started all of 4 games due to injuries and yet you are ready to write him off as a bust in only his 3rd year. The guy is like 23 years old and has all the tools to be an NFL QB. We traded for him knowing he will be able to just sit and learn for a year or two. Does that mean he will become a great player? No, of course not. But if he doesn't all we've lost is a 4th round pick on a guy who was thought to be a top QB.

Yeah, I get it. Jamarcus Russell was taken #1 overall but so was Troy Aikman.
Using a costly 4th round pick on a BUST of a way overrated QB is not good. This means the Cowboys have no 4th, 5th nor 6th round picks for next year's draft. That's horrible, especially with so many holes at Oline (different positions), WR, LB, DT and CB. HORRIBLE DECISION TO WASTE A COSTLY 4TH ROUND PICK ON A BUST PROJECT AT QB. We didn't need it. Everyone knows Dak is here to stay, along with Cooper Rush as his backup. Jerry just got stupid once again just to please the whiny Dak haters.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’m not trying to bash Jerry or whatever but I’m still not sure what the plan is for Lance.

I can’t make sense of what the angle is from our end. Maybe one of you smarties can help me get it.

Hedge bet is my best guess, but I really don’t see how it adds up or what the thought process was when parting with a 4th round pick.
Long term backup maybe. One with tradeable upside if he plays well in relief

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I think they should try to get a look at him. The Panthers game would be a perfect opportunity.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Ive honestly never understood the purpose of the rule. I dont see any real competive advantage to being able to play 3 different QB's
You can suit up 3 QBs on game day, teams usually just choose not to, opting to have other players/positions available.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You have zero patience skills, Jerry is smarter than you but I believe that now and it pains me to have to say it.
I seriously doubt it. I bet you worship that old fart. He continues to get it wrong with them trades and overpays.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
He can’t go in unless both QB’s get injured. He will stay the emergency QB all season barring injury.
How many times do we need to explain this.
Staubach and Aikman almost never came out of games, no matter the scores.
Besides, the coaches see Lance in practice and on game days. They don’t need to see him in mop up duty.
When he becomes the #2 QB, that’s when you ask this question. Frankly, if he isn’t the backup sometime in the next 2 months, it’s a little concerning (yes, I said “little”).