CFZ Trey Lance potentially a free agent in 2025 creates some interesting scenarios

John813

Reaction score
Can you extend AND trade????? In other words, a new contract is worked out by a trading team.
Trade then sign.
Would help trade value if the new team can discuss contract extension with the player/agent prior to the trade so they can lock up the player as soon as they acquire him, rather than trading for then hoping to retain.

The Colts for example gave Taylor the ability to reach out to other teams for a trade. That would mean the team acquiring Taylor, potentially, would have the chance to talk terms and be comfortable in trading for him.
The Colts could also just ship Taylor to any team without notification to him if they thought the compensation was good enough

The only time a sign and trade would really work for both parties is if the team had their rights but not under contract. Think of a RFA or franchised player who had not signed their tender. Can't be traded without actually signing the contract. But that would just be a 1 year deal.

Last edited:

erod

Reaction score
The Jones boys are spooked by what they see with other QB contracts gone bad, and they're looking for leverage and options.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If this is a make or break year for Dak in JJ’s eyes, acquiring Lance is a strange gamble.

Because despite his unquestioned potential, Trey Lance is still very raw. He needs PT against quality competition and I find it hard to believe the Cowboys risk their potentially great season developing a 23 year old QB that one team has already given up on.

This year, unless Dak gets hurt and Cooper Rush - a proven backup- is ineffective in relief, I just can’t see any major development of Trey Lance this year. Maybe he becomes an occasional gadget? But even then, that’s not true developmental situations for a QB.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Review Dak's contract again. Dallas would not eat $60M next season if Dak is not extended and Dak refuses to drop his no-trade clause, resulting in a post-June 1st release.
According to Over the Cap, Dallas saves $34M against the cap in 2024 and $11M in 2025 with a net loss of $11M in 2026 as the dead money would get spread out over multiple years, not just one season. Take into account Dak's cap hit in those years and you have the referenced cap savings.

So while some want to say Dallas has zero options and that Dak holds all the cards, JJ just reshuffled the deck by trading for Lance.
Well that would be an option but Jerry has to resist the urge to extend Dak and then you are taking a chance that you won't be relevant for a few years if Lance does not play out. Then you have the 4th tier QB's like Mayfield, Brisset, Minshew that you have to deal with if you cant get the right prospect in the draft. I don't know how much development they can do with a QB without TC. If he really wants Trey to be someting, I hire a QB coach to work with him exclusively throughout the year.

I don't think Jerry is willing to take that chance. He has a 9.2 billion value just maintaining the status quo

DuncanIso

Reaction score
You absolutely can't do this because of the cap hit.

Unless you want a total rebuild, you can't do anything with Dak but extend him.
So we cut a check to Dak for another 160-200 million? That's almost 400 million total.

Jerry wont do it. I would be extremely surprised if he did.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
So we cut a check to Dak for another 160-200 million? That's almost 400 million total.

Jerry wont do it. I would be extremely surprised if he did.
Well it depends on years but he's probably going to get $250 million.

That number doesn't matter. It's the cap hit that does.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Jones boys are spooked by what they see with other QB contracts gone bad, and they're looking for leverage and options.
I agree with you that the Jones boys are looking for some leverage but an undeveloped raw QB doesn’t give them that much. Unless Lance shows he’s at least as viable as what they have. And how is he going to prove that without getting significant PT? In a season where expectations for playoff success is very high.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
When drafted with the 3rd pick in the 2021 draft by the niners, Trey Lance signed a 4 year, $34 million contract, including a $22 mil signing bonus, with $34 mil guaranteed, and an average annual salary of roughly $8.5 million.

According to Spotrac.com in 2023, Lance will earn a base salary of $940,000, while carrying a cap hit this year of $940K and a dead cap value of $6.25 million. He has two years remaining on that rookie deal he signed in ‘21.
Here‘s the link to the Spotrac info: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/trey-lance-72382/

This creates an interesting scenario for the Cowboys. Lance’s rookie deal will end in 2024, making him a potential FA. We all know the Cowboys are negotiating a potential extension with Dak and current backup Cooper Rush just signed a two year $5 million contract with $2.75 mil guaranteed. I can’t see this team with all 3 for two straight years.

With the addition of Lance to the QB room, the Cowboys are now ranked in the top 5 in QB cap spending. I’m not saying that’s good or bad, but I do believe that is probably not where they want to stay long term with the potential Cedee Lamb and Micah Parsons deals looming.

This sets up a very interesting two years for the Cowboys and their future. The 2023 season is already looking very entertaining!
Drama is good for the Cowboys !
More interest and ratings ...
Clicks Baby !

erod

Reaction score
I agree with you that the Jones boys are looking for some leverage but an undeveloped raw QB doesn’t give them that much. Unless Lance shows he’s at least as viable as what they have. And how is he going to prove that without getting significant PT? In a season where expectations for playoff success is very high.
If Lance improves and Dak continues to stagnate or regress, they'll have leverage. If Dak lights it up, then they pay him. If he doesn't, he could be the next Russell Wilson. Seattle smartly dodged a big bullet there.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This year, unless Dak gets hurt and Cooper Rush - a proven backup- is ineffective in relief, I just can’t see any major development of Trey Lance this year. Maybe he becomes an occasional gadget? But even then, that’s not true developmental situations for a QB.
I don't think they have any intention of him playing this season........Jerry has said as much. However, if we somehow miss the playoffs or go one-and-done with a healthy Dak, things can get interesting IMO. If that happens, I think ALL options are on the table, including offering Dak an extension with a modest increase but nothing close to $50+ he will probably want. If they can agree on his value, I can def see a trade as an option. In that case, you bring in a bridge vet while working with Lance. ( Matthew Stafford and Jimmy Garoppolol are a couple of examples )

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If Lance improves and Dak continues to stagnate or regress, they'll have leverage. If Dak lights it up, then they pay him. If he doesn't, he could be the next Russell Wilson. Seattle smartly dodged a big bullet there.
+1

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I agree with you that the Jones boys are looking for some leverage
Bob I don't this is about leverage........I think in their mind it is more like Dak going to prove he's worthy of a $50M+ extension ( deep post-season run) or accept they will only extend him long-term with a modest salary bump ( perhaps $45-47M ).

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is what I'm thinking also UNLESS Dak gets this team to NFCCG THIS SEASON. If that happens, all bets are off with Lance as our future QB. If not, I can honestly see them attempting to trade Dak after this season. Bring in a vet transitional QB and work with Lance as a future starter.
No, that’s not what I’m saying. We are fixing to extend Dak. At least according to Jethro &Son, Trey is be heir apparent several years down the road.

I’d say at least 3 years counting this season unless injury. What we do in playoffs has no bearing.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I understand that Greg but how are the Cowboys going to be able to develop Lance if he’s not playing much? I’m not saying they can’t but if they’re serious about extending Dak as they say they are and still want to develop Lance…it just doesn’t completely add up to me.

I agree Dak needs to deliver. The question for me is what does “deliver” mean? An NFC championship game appearance? A SB win or appearance? I’m all for putting competitive pressure on Dak but using Trey Lance as the pressure seems strange. I’m not against it, I just don’t see how this works.
Trey can develop in practice and mentoring behind Dak. Like most heir apparents are.

Based on Jethro & Sons words this opportunity came out of nowhere and it doesn’t impact their plans to extend Dak which in their words is “ going to be sooner than later”. And I don’t think in their minds he needs to deliver like some of the rhetoric fans feel. Fans are wanting to put too much into this acquisition. It’s not what they think it is.

Trey was just in their view “ too high of prospect being a 1st round pick( 3rd overall ) to pass on for the future” . And it appears they mean future like several years down the road unless injuries turn up the clock.

So Id argue that several would mean like more than a couple which between mini camps, training camps , practices and preseasons and watching regular season games should be ample time to mentor and develop.

I’d guess after next year when Rush is gone we might have an opportunity to see him in a regular schedule game if Dak is out.

I doubt once they extend Dak they’ll want to display Trey too soon so he doesn’t have the opportunity to show up Dak. Then they’d have another QB controversy which they don’t want.

IMO Bob our dynamic duo FO ( lol) feel like they’ve stolen a 1st round talent they’ll tuck away for down the road. It’s why they didn’t contact Dak or MM about. This was a futures move. We won’t see him in a regular season game unless Dak and Rush go down . Not this year anyway. And maybe not next year.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Cowboys have still must (or would like) to pay for the following:
-Dak extension
-Micah, who will be most expensive defensive player in league
-Lamb
-Steele
-Biadasz

It will be incredibly difficult to extend Trey, unless his value drops like a rock. The likely best case scenario is that Lance looks great at some point and Cowboys can trade him for a higher pick.
Parsons and Lamb are priorities. Others not so much. But they can get those done as well. Could be other casualties like Gallo for example. There could be others. And find a way to extend their heir apparent QB.

Trey could become trade bait but I doubt unless he gets some exposure playing which I don’t expect, then I can’t imagine anymore that what we gave for him. Naa, our dynamic duo FO( lol) thinks they’ve got a steal for their future QB and willing to sit on him a few years if necessary.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No, they really don't. Please see my post above.

The only way Dallas has lots of development time with Trey is to extend his contract, which would be quite a gamble.
What high roller in the NFL isn’t in the position or willing to make such a gamble. First of all our dynamic duo owners think they got a steal. And more than willing to invest in their heir apparent .

We could tattoo a big R on Jethro’s chest. Lol
For Risk taker :)

But really , these Bozos were able to market and build around a 4th round pick and undrafted QB this era , they sound like they just jumped in the cookie jar with a third overall 1st rd pick.

Never know how it shakes out but this appears to be their intention for now. Stay tuned …

DandyDon52

Reaction score
When drafted with the 3rd pick in the 2021 draft by the niners, Trey Lance signed a 4 year, $34 million contract, including a $22 mil signing bonus, with $34 mil guaranteed, and an average annual salary of roughly $8.5 million.

According to Spotrac.com in 2023, Lance will earn a base salary of $940,000, while carrying a cap hit this year of $940K and a dead cap value of $6.25 million. He has two years remaining on that rookie deal he signed in ‘21.
Here‘s the link to the Spotrac info: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/trey-lance-72382/

This creates an interesting scenario for the Cowboys. Lance’s rookie deal will end in 2024, making him a potential FA. We all know the Cowboys are negotiating a potential extension with Dak and current backup Cooper Rush just signed a two year $5 million contract with $2.75 mil guaranteed. I can’t see this team with all 3 for two straight years.

With the addition of Lance to the QB room, the Cowboys are now ranked in the top 5 in QB cap spending. I’m not saying that’s good or bad, but I do believe that is probably not where they want to stay long term with the potential Cedee Lamb and Micah Parsons deals looming.

This sets up a very interesting two years for the Cowboys and their future. The 2023 season is already looking very entertaining!
in other words it was a stupid move by jerry? lol Jerry wasnt looking at the big picture,
he saw a new toy he could get at a clearance price and he just bought it.

XXLMike

Reaction score
Review Dak's contract again. Dallas would not eat $60M next season if Dak is not extended and Dak refuses to drop his no-trade clause, resulting in a post-June 1st release.
According to Over the Cap, Dallas saves $34M against the cap in 2024 and $11M in 2025 with a net loss of $11M in 2026 as the dead money would get spread out over multiple years, not just one season. Take into account Dak's cap hit in those years and you have the referenced cap savings.

So while some want to say Dallas has zero options and that Dak holds all the cards, JJ just reshuffled the deck by trading for Lance.
Outstanding

GMO415

Reaction score
Bullet, if Jerry wanted to win a SB, he'd sign Rodgers. If Jerry wants to stick it to Dak regarding $260 million, he'd sign Lance.......