Twitter: Trey Lance trade was an abomination

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
For all the many stupid trades the Jones dopes have made, I don't think this is one of them. Could they have gotten him for a 5 or 6? Maybe. But that is not a huge risk for the potential upside the kid has. Lets see this kid play one preseason before we declare it an abomination. Sending a top 10 receiver in his prime away for a $&$ 5th rd pick was an abomination.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It doesn’t exist. The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

The Cowboys have kept quiet on how Lance is progressing until recently when Stephen Jones made a “nothing to write home about” positive comment about it. A thread here mentioned it.

Dunno why this is a big deal. Out of all the QBs listed Lance has the biggest upside. Also, a 4th round pick is pittance compared to what the 49ers gave up, but no one keeps berating them about it.
Good point. "They" keep crowing about what gurus they are there, and traded lance for a reason, conveniently neglecting to mention the price they psid for him.

Jipper

Reaction score
For all the many stupid trades the Jones dopes have made, I don't think this is one of them. Could they have gotten him for a 5 or 6? Maybe. But that is not a huge risk for the potential upside the kid has. Lets see this kid play one preseason before we declare it an abomination. Sending a top 10 receiver in his prime away for a $&$ 5th rd pick was an abomination.
Agreed and honestly I don't know that he can be fully evaluated yet, need to see how this offseason goes and how he looks in game action during the preseason.

If he ends up as a competent backup for a few years then it will have been worth it...anything more and we won the trade, anything less and we wasted the pick

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah other than just random Jerry/Stephen (which doesn't carry a ton of weight in my mind) quotes I don't recall hearing much about Lance....good, bad, or anywhere in between.
Right. Thats why i dont get people arrogant enough to claim his doom. Theres nothing either way, but i remain hopeful something comes of it.

Big_D

Reaction score
yeah, the trade scares me too. He might take dak's job a that scares me. It doesn't matter if we piss 2nd round picks away but a 4th, man that is tough.
lol they love throwing 2nd round picks in the toilet. There have been plenty abominations. This move certainly wasn’t the sharpest, but that’s exactly what you’d expect from Jerry and co. It’s not like a decision that stupid is out of the ordinary.

John813

Reaction score
Zach Wilson and Mac Jones had almost 3 full years to show that they are still struggling. Going into year 4, and going to be UFA's as no sane team would pick up their guaranteed option, they've become 1 year rentals. And for Jones, a backup behind Lawrence. Wilson maybe could get a small chance to compete

Lance hasn't shown much of anything, at least up to the the first two.
He can't stay healthy and when he did get healthy another QB stole the spot light.
He may be worse, the same or have some "hidden" upside.

But Dallas acquired him at the time with 2 years left on his deal and had all of last year to see how he acts throughout the season.
First one in, last one out? Asking the QB coach a million question? etc...

Fields time in Chicago was done. I was a bit surprised at how low he went as at least his legs make him a better threat than the other 3.

Dallas overpaid, no question, but it wasn't an abomination. Day 2 pick? Sure, pretty bad. But it's a day 3 pick.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Some people would rather just sit around - fat dumb and happy with nothing to show for it- than at least TRY.
Bro you completely hit the nail on the head here with one simple word....TRY! Honestly I would rather Jerry/Stephen completely fail and this team win 6 games next year as long as they are legitimately trying. I can root for trying....I can support even the biggest of buffoons giving it their all.

This continued plan of going with the path of least resistance, just stay around the rim type of approach that leads to the same results year after year has run its course. For that reason alone I don't hate the Lance deal. Now a good chunk of other moves made over the last year, or lack of is another discussion.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zach Wilson and Mac Jones had almost 3 full years to show that they are still struggling. Going into year 4, and going to be UFA's as no sane team would pick up their guaranteed option, they've become 1 year rentals. And for Jones, a backup behind Lawrence. Wilson maybe could get a small chance to compete

Lance hasn't shown much of anything, at least up to the the first two.
He can't stay healthy and when he did get healthy another QB stole the spot light.
He may be worse, the same or have some "hidden" upside.

But Dallas acquired him at the time with 2 years left on his deal and had all of last year to see how he acts throughout the season.
First one in, last one out? Asking the QB coach a million question? etc...

Fields time in Chicago was done. I was a bit surprised at how low he went as at least his legs make him a better threat than the other 3.

Dallas overpaid, no question, but it wasn't an abomination. Day 2 pick? Sure, pretty bad. But it's a day 3 pick.
Hold on a sec..."when he did get healthy another qb stold the spotlight"? Or while he was injured?
So you say trey came back after injury and then lost his job? Just spot checking that fact i dont know.

vlad

Reaction score
You have to admit it’s funny. Denver sends a sixth round pick to NY Jets for Wilson, a 7th round pick, and the Jets are paying half his salary for 2024. The Cowboys sent SF a fourth round pick and are handing Lance $4.5 million on the 5th day of camp in July. It’s either laugh or cry. Might as well laugh.
And of course our access media will never question them on this

Sydla

Reaction score
I've been saying this ever since Jerry ridiculously made the trade and literally threw away a much needed 4th round pick where as stated many 3rd rounds valuable talent will be available in this year's 2024 Draft. Jerry Jones keeps proving he doesn't know what he's doing while constantly hurting this team.
You didn't like it because it made you feel sad for Dak.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
And of course our access media will never question them on this
I don't understand what there is to really question here? Even if it's an overpay it's not like a 4th round pick is that crazy to give up. If anything the questions need to be on the long term plan with Lance, I think that is way more important than the compensation given up for him.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
We paid the most for the QB who has done the least from that ‘21 draft.

Lance has reportedly shown little to nothing in practice so far in his time in Dallas.

We won’t have a 4th round pick in a draft where gurus are saying there will be plenty of 3rd round grades available in the 4th rd.

To put a cherry on top, we’re probably going to end up losing Lance for nothing after this season.

Shambolic front office.

Plus, this is the guy Stephen is waiting to see more of before making a decision on how big an offer to give to Dak (who they want to pay before CeeDee and Micah), so the whole thing teeters on Lance.

Big_D

Reaction score
You have to admit it’s funny. Denver sends a sixth round pick to NY Jets for Wilson, a 7th round pick, and the Jets are paying half his salary for 2024. The Cowboys sent SF a fourth round pick and are handing Lance $4.5 million on the 5th day of camp in July. It’s either laugh or cry. Might as well laugh.
The funny part is no team in the league was willing to part with a 4th, just this clown. Even the niners were surprised by the offer. Just Jerry being Jerry!

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The funny part is no team in the league was willing to part with a 4th, just this clown. Even the niners were surprised by the offer. Just Jerry being Jerry!
That's literally how trade offers work, the other team will accept the highest offer. :laugh:

Big_D

Reaction score
That's literally how trade offers work, the other team will accept the highest offer. :laugh:
I know and when one is willing to overpay compared to everyone else, there’s the issue. Considering where he was in his first contract, it was monumentally stupid. I’m sure that was a big reason no one was biting except for this moron.