Trey Lance will compete with Cooper Rush for QB2

Toro9

Reaction score
I want Lance to be good but I don't know why Cooper is written off every training camp. He's one of the best backups in the league. Of course, they want the 4th round (traded for) pick to be an asset but it shouldn't be automatic. I do hope it's close though - in a good way.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you think for one second Jerry will announce Dak's replacement...you are kidding yourself.
It always happens when someone thinks what they would do is the best thing for the team--INSTEAD OF taking a moment and considering how Jerry Jones has treated the quarterback position for 35 years.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
In other words, Trey, if you impress us, we'll keep you and trade Cooper.

If you don't, we'll be cutting you to save the $5m, unless you're willing to re-work some things.
Cooper has no trade value.
Lance's contract can't be re-worked, only extended.

Last edited:

Jimbo123

Reaction score
How will it make Jerry look if Lance is the #3 again next year? Bet the house on Lance being the #2, whether he deserves it or not

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The first time he wows Jerry that will be all she wrote for the Dakster.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
All I remember was that he didn’t win the backup job. San Francisco kept three QBs on their roster in 2023. From what was reported here he didn’t want to be the third QB.
I have read nuggets that Purdy won the job more than Lance lost it. As one former NFL executive stated, Purty won the job between his ears.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Cooper has no trade value.
If you're asserting that for March 2, 2024, yes, we're basically agreed on that.

If you're asserting that for August 2, 2024, when some teams are either beginning to realize that Plan A for their QB position isn't working out, or just as typically, Plan A went down with an injury...

No, he will have trade value to some degree at that time. It happens every year. The question is only how much comparable talent other teams are putting on the market, if any.

mardwin

Reaction score
I’m sure Purdy clearly won the job but Lance couldn’t even beat out Darnold for the backup job.
They wanted a veteran QB behind Purdy and Lance was coming from a major injury. The decision was to move on from Lance and move forward with Purdy. No way they would have Lance making 9M and Purdy on a minimum salary. These decisions go beyond performance on the field.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Trey Lance was recovering from a major knee injury. Purdy won the job and was a better fit to their offensive scheme than Lance. It was the right choice for the 49ers, Purdy has taken them to an NFC title game and Superbowl in 2 years. Far more success than Dak has since joining the league.

No franchise would have kept their 1st round QB as a backup after deciding to go with the other guy. The RG3 v Kirk Cousins dilemma.
They obviously didn’t blame his injury for his disappointing play. To move on from him as quick as they did with all they gave up to draft him tells me they saw no hope in him. Washington didn’t give up on RG3 that quick.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They wanted a veteran QB behind Purdy and Lance was coming from a major injury. The decision was to move on from Lance and move forward with Purdy. No way they would have Lance making 9M and Purdy on a minimum salary. These decisions go beyond performance on the field.
A lot of it was due to his performance. He wasn’t developing the way that had anticipated. He wasn’t worth the money and they moved on. He was available for trade and no one offered more than a 4th round pick. The game tape on him in SF wasn’t very impressive.