Trey Lance Will Start And Play Entire Game Vs Chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
IMO, today’s final ps game is essentially the “Home Depot Bowl”. I want Lance to play lights out and look great too. But he’s basically playing today against players half of which will not be on an NFL roster in Sept. He will not be facing any exotic blitzes or serious coverage disguises. PS football is not a regular season game.

That’s not to say today’s game is nothing. It matters a lot to the team and Trey Lance’s development. Again, I want him to do well. It’s good for the Cowboys as a whole. Just giving this game some perspective…IMO.
Truth

DuncanIso

Reaction score
He’s not going to make a decision on his backup QB based on this game. Rush has been only given three series this preseason and was solid. This preseason at QB has been all about giving Lance some experience.
Rush is a solid pocket QB.

But he isn’t the future. I think he is still UFA in March.

He just doesn’t have the same skill set as Lance.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rush base salary is 2.2 mill

He likely gets cut and resigned at vet min. Which is 1.1 mil

The teams saves 1.1 mil in cap.
I disagree that the team cuts Rush after today. As if this moment Cooper Rush is better than Lance in this offense. Lance is a much better athlete and has way more upside, but he’s not as ready to step into that role IMO.

The Cowboys could cut Rush if they feel Lance has shown more improvement and could step in should Dak get hurt at some point this year. But again…just my opinion, I think TL has a long way to go before he’s ready to be the starter here. He’s fighting to be the #2 guy at this point.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Rush is a solid pocket QB.

But he isn’t the future. I think he is still UFA in March.

He just doesn’t have the same skill set as Lance.
Rush is obviously not the future. He’s been a career backup and that’s all he’ll ever be in the NFL. There’s been a lot of QBs that have had a great skill set that never panned out in the NFL. The concern with Lance is his passing ability. He’s a good athlete with mobility, but I question whether he could ever be a productive passer. To win a lot of games in the NFL a QB has to be productive throwing the football. So far during the preseason, Lance seems apprehensive going down the field. He’s been throwing a lot of balls out in the flat and underneath. He needs to stretch the field more to try create some big plays.

Bing

Reaction score
It's far too early for that. Lance is getting better. He was better last than the week before. Who knows where he will be by the end of the year. That is far more important than the last preseason game in August.
No it's not. This is the last preseason game of the year. If Lance tanks in this game it may be the last time we ever see him behind center for the Cowboys. If he plays lights out it's still most likely the last time we see him on the field this year unless Dak gets seriously hurt or the team tanks so bad we are out of playoff contention with several games to go at the end of the season. Its quickly becoming does JJ over pay for Dak or does he let him walk and play Lance next year or does he draft a QB in the early round

Last edited:

SwagSurfer

Reaction score
Just getting home from the beach. How did Trey look against the bus drivers?

HungryLion

Reaction score
It’s time to talk about how keeping Lance is a waste of a roster spot.

If the team is moving on from Dak, they need to draft a QB next year. Lance ain’t it.

J_Allen

Reaction score
That was pathetic and there are good players to be had in the fourth round. Marion barber, Bradie James. Who am I missing. We just wasted a fourth rounder.

Sydla

Reaction score
There were some great passes and some pretty awful passes.

The story of Lance's career to date. The 4th interception was not all his fault but the others? Just not very good quarterbacking.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Tough way to lose a game, but there's a lot to like. There's not any part of me that thinks it wise to let such a young toolsy QB go. INTs the early in his career in preseason games aren't especially damning.

And speaking of "damning"... all of you who had the balls to argue with me over the off season as-if Lance can't run, eat mud.

Status
Not open for further replies.