Trey Lance Will Start And Play Entire Game Vs Chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.

plymkr

Reaction score
If he falls flat and Rush gets QB2, he sits the entire year again? If he hits, Rush sits/gets traded? Should be an interesting couple of weeks waiting for Jerry to let the world know what his plan is
I agree. I also have a question for the cap guys. If Rush were to get traded what would be the salary cap implications?

Aven8

Reaction score
He definitely needs the work. Accuracy and footwork are awful currently

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I agree. I also have a question for the cap guys. If Rush were to get traded what would be the salary cap implications?
What could he possibly be traded for? He’s not going to be any team’s QB1. QB2’s rarely play. What would a team trade for a player that rarely plays?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This next game is all about how high of a draft pick Jerry has to use on a QB next year. Everyone talking about Dak, it's simple unless Dak takes a hometown discount which I dont think he will Dak is gone so let's move on from him.

If Lance can show he can run this team he will be the starting QB next year. If he tanks then Jerry knows Lance is not the answer so he will have to use a high draft pick on a QB next year. This is nothing more then a planning for the future decision.
It's far too early for that. Lance is getting better. He was better last than the week before. Who knows where he will be by the end of the year. That is far more important than the last preseason game in August.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
He needs all the snaps he can get at this point. I normally don't say things like this, but I wish we had a couple more exhibition games after this one to get hims some more game snaps.

Flamma

Reaction score
Full game sample. How he plays will impact the decision on Dak's contract.
I could be wrong here, but I highly doubt Jerry is going to make a decision based on a preseason game against all backups. He's already made his decision, we just don't know what it is yet.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
What could he possibly be traded for? He’s not going to be any team’s QB1. QB2’s rarely play. What would a team trade for a player that rarely plays?
There's a few bottom feeders that Rush could start for without those teams having to sacrifice their next 5 years with an awful contract killing what moves they can make.

Flamma

Reaction score
Roughly 2 million. But no one is trading anything for Rush. Not even a 7th round pick. They'll just wait for him to be cut to pick him up. Dallas has done that how many times now? Only once did a team pick him up.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
For the good of the team and its future, I'm hoping Lance surprises us all.
Realistically, I wouldn't bet anything of any unaffordable value on it. :huh:

To be sublimely optimistic, in some alternate universe, I might consider it.

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IMO, today’s final ps game is essentially the “Home Depot Bowl”. I want Lance to play lights out and look great too. But he’s basically playing today against players half of which will not be on an NFL roster in Sept. He will not be facing any exotic blitzes or serious coverage disguises. PS football is not a regular season game.

That’s not to say today’s game is nothing. It matters a lot to the team and Trey Lance’s development. Again, I want him to do well. It’s good for the Cowboys as a whole. Just giving this game some perspective…IMO.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I agree. I also have a question for the cap guys. If Rush were to get traded what would be the salary cap implications

Rush base salary is 2.2 mill

He likely gets cut and resigned at vet min. Which is 1.1 mil

The teams saves 1.1 mil in cap.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I could be wrong here, but I highly doubt Jerry is going to make a decision based on a preseason game against all backups. He's already made his decision, we just don't know what it is yet.
He’s not going to make a decision on his backup QB based on this game. Rush has been only given three series this preseason and was solid. This preseason at QB has been all about giving Lance some experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.