Twitter: Troubling MM response to the D's performance

Sydla

Reaction score
agree.

also, looking back, it was a mistake to let Jason go.

Yeah because Garrett is showing himself to be a ridiculously good coordinator.

You just cannot get over Garrett and the fact you were wrong and he was a mediocre HC.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Boy, if this game shows the FO anything, it's that a huge, strong DT will be a great addition to the DL. Preferably someone that can stop the middle runs and requires double team blocking to stop penetration.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I've been one of his strongest supporters, still is but this comment makes no sense at all. Excuses, excuses, excuses .......c'mon Mike. You had nearly 2 weeks to get ready for a one-dimensional QB and this is how you respond?

Not seeing it. Whats wrong with his comment? Everything said was right on the money.

Cmac

Reaction score
Shannon Sharpe said it all...…."A blind dog in a meat truck".....under nourished. At some point in time.....Players have to be accountable, players have to make plays DESPITE the coaching inefficiencies.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
agree.

also, looking back, it was a mistake to let Jason go.

THIS type of comment right here really underscores how bad things are for the Cowboys. When some fan is wishing we had Garrett back. LOL

Wow!!!!

And what do you think Garrett would do with this pile of turds? Garrett was basically the reason we have this pile of turds.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Shannon Sharpe said it all...…."A blind dog in a meat truck".....under nourished. At some point in time.....Players have to be accountable, players have to make plays DESPITE the coaching inefficiencies.

At some point, fans just have to admit how bad these players suck. Coaching is obsolete at this point.

Majic

Reaction score
1) Performance and likely games. We saw how bad defenses stunted this team over the last few years, including years when we made the playoffs with great offenses but the defense couldn't hold up.

2) Personnel. Nolan is going to have input into bringing in specific players for his hybrid scheme. I am not sure why we should trust him to give sound advice on drafting. We just got out of a situation where we had a DC/DL coach influence players we took (Charlton, Hill for example) and FAs we should get (Nolan Carroll, etc.) I'd prefer to have a competent DC giving input into players we acquire.

The DEF Co-ordinator should just be one voice in the room. The front office, scouting team, head coach etc should all be singing from the same hymn sheet. If Nolan's back he will be involved but not to the extent where he decides who we draft.

My best guess is we win 2 of our last 4 to finish 5-11. Whether that's good enough for Jerry not to make changes I have my doubts. Certainly he's been more critical in the last few weeks, nothing obvious but you can decipher he is not happy with how things are going. When he said Jimmy had it harder in 1989 than McCarthy this year my ears pricked up

Verdict

Reaction score
Translation: I’m not going to tell you how bad our players are. We might need to try to trade one for a late round pick.

Sydla

Reaction score
The DEF Co-ordinator should just be one voice in the room. The front office, scouting team, head coach etc should all be singing from the same hymn sheet. If Nolan's back he will be involved but not to the extent where he decides who we draft.

My best guess is we win 2 of our last 4 to finish 5-11. Whether that's good enough for Jerry not to make changes I have my doubts. Certainly he's been more critical in the last few weeks, nothing obvious but you can decipher he is not happy with how things are going. When he said Jimmy had it harder in 1989 than McCarthy this year my ears pricked up

He will be a voice but he will have influence. He is running a different system/scheme than Richard/Marinelli and therefore, I have little doubt the front office and McCarthy are going to want to try to give him players that Nolan thinks he needs (within reason).

But they shouldn't. He shouldn't be the DC beyond this year. It will be a mistake if they let him continue.

cern

Reaction score
i think all of us who watched the game can come to that same conclusion without mac explaining it. we have quitters on defense. we're soft. we wear out after two quarters.

Last edited:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Agree, that is just excuse making for mediocre talent and not much better coaching. But it is hard to contain Jackson with LB's failing to even read the plays correctly. Someone said gap and they took off for the mall.

BTW, that comment Aikman made about QB's improving their accuracy and not correcting their bad habits from college, Jackson is the poster boy for that. They should have forced him to throw it all night long.

+1......

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think Jerry will mildly surprise people and fire Mike McCarthy and Nolan,Moore etc. I see heads rolling. Jerry tolerates alot of things, but losing in the fashion in which we lose game in, game out may be the final straw. Whats worse is how the players,coaches respond afterwards in the post game pressers.No accountability,just excuse after excuse.Pretty sure he notices what we do. There is no point in continuing the failed MM experiment. The D is terrible, and teh players don't really seem to care either way. THAT is a culture/coaching problem. Time to give the team an enema and start over except for a very small handful of core players.

I think they give him at least another year, maybe two. Get Dak back, a few more d players, and see how he responds. But I'm not sure Nolan survives.......one name to keep an eye on is Marvin Lewis.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Looking at past SB winning coaches there is very often one common thread - they are NOT re-tread head coaches. They are most often young (relatively), innovative assistants - Landry, Shula, Noll, Belichick. There's a reason no head coach has won a SB with 2 different teams - they get stale and set in their ways.

And usually coaches win SBs relatively early in their career - Reid and Belichick are the exception, and Reid possibly just got lucky with Mahomes. Landry won a SB in his 11th and 17th years - never again in the next 12 years. Shula won in his 4th and 5th years with the Dolphins - never gain in another 22 years.

No more McCarthy, Parcells, etc....

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How? They were averaging 13 yards a carry at one point. Why would they even bother to throw it except to use it for practice.. ?
They should have sold out on the run and had a spy on him all game long. The problem with that is who's going to spy, the LB's all had a bad game.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Yeah because Garrett is showing himself to be a ridiculously good coordinator.

You just cannot get over Garrett and the fact you were wrong and he was a mediocre HC.

8)

Big Mike is 3-9

how wrong could I be?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
THIS type of comment right here really underscores how bad things are for the Cowboys. When some fan is wishing we had Garrett back. LOL

Wow!!!!

And what do you think Garrett would do with this pile of turds? Garrett was basically the reason we have this pile of turds.

We begged Jerry to fire Jason.

Now that Jason is gone, and Big Mike is 3-9.....

it was a mistake to let Jason go.

Fact.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
I'll translate this....My team is softer then Charmin tissue. My defensive coordinator has no idea of what the job details. And I need another big Mac.....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Boy, if this game shows the FO anything, it's that a huge, strong DT will be a great addition to the DL. Preferably someone that can stop the middle runs and requires double team blocking to stop penetration.

No tackle on the d-line would be a starter on any other NFL team. Not one. Most would be a "we hope we only need him for a game or two" backups.

Though even with a top DT, would it really help? On Jackson's 37 yard td run (if memory serves) LVE was right in front of where Jackson ran. But before Jackson got to the line, LVE went to his right and left the entire middle of the line wide open. There was no safety in the middle. That is coaching, scheme and technique. LVE is perfectly capable of standing in the middle of the line and at least slowing down Jackson, and if a safety is there he can at least make Jackson make some moves instead of making a bee line for the end zone. For goodness' sake, these near 66 year old legs could have scored on that play, or at least gotten close to the end zone.

The players aren't without fault, but it's coaching AND players that are underperforming, and that combination (sounds like one of those diet commercials saying eating certain foods in COMBINATION will make you lose lots of weight) gives you the worst defense in the NFC (or NFL maybe)....