Troy Aikman 1992 and Dak Prescott 2021

ultron

Reaction score
Troy Aikman’s best year (statistically) was 1992. He passed for 3,445 yards and had 23 touchdowns & 14 interceptions. He had a passer rating of 89.5, behind what is regarded as one of the best offensive lines ever. He also had an all-pro running back that rushed for 1713 yards - so defensive coordinators had to game plan for the GOAT of RBs in addition to this prolific passing attack.

Fast forward nearly 30 years and 14 games into the 2021 season, Dak Prescott has thrown for more yards, more touchdowns, less interceptions & has a higher QB rating than Aikman did in 1992.

Dak currently has 3,598 yards, 25 touchdowns & 10 interceptions. He also has a QB rating of 98.1, so he’s already had a better year this year than Troy’s best year of his entire career.

People think Dak is slumping -or- I’ve seen the term “Dak sucks” and “Dak’s terrible” thrown around a lot today. But if you’ve been paying attention - here’s the secret and this is what teams have caught on to. They’ve caught on to the fact that Dak is EXTREMELY good vs. the blitz. When I say extremely good, I mean top tier historically good. They have pretty much stopped blitzing and just rush 4 or MAYBE 5 (at most).

They also don’t have to worry about Zeke’s ability to carve them up like he did the first 4 years of his career where they would stack the box with at least 8 guys because Zeke was THAT good. Having a prolific rushing attack allows for the passing game (especially play action) to really open up and ‘cook’.

The “struggling” Cowboys offense currently ranks #1 in the NFL with 5,646 yards and #2 in the NFL with 401 points scored. How does this compare to the 92 cowboys? They were #4 in the league with 5,606 yards and #2 in the league with 409 points scored.

So with 3 games to go, the 2021 Cowboys have already surpassed the 92 team in yards gained and are 8 points behind them in total points scored (16 game season).

Take it for what it’s worth but those are the facts.

Qcard

Reaction score
Troy Aikman’s best year (statistically) was 1992. He passed for 3,445 yards and had 23 touchdowns & 14 interceptions. He had a passer rating of 89.5, behind what is regarded as one of the best offensive lines ever. He also had an all-pro running back that rushed for 1713 yards - so defensive coordinators had to game plan for the GOAT of RBs in addition to this prolific passing attack.

Fast forward nearly 30 years and 14 games into the 2021 season, Dak Prescott has thrown for more yards, more touchdowns, less interceptions & has a higher QB rating than Aikman did in 1992.

Dak currently has 3,598 yards, 25 touchdowns & 10 interceptions. He also has a QB rating of 98.1, so he’s already had a better year this year than Troy’s best year of his entire career.

People think Dak is slumping -or- I’ve seen the term “Dak sucks” and “Dak’s terrible” thrown around a lot today. But if you’ve been paying attention - here’s the secret and this is what teams have caught on to. They’ve caught on to the fact that Dak is EXTREMELY good vs. the blitz. When I say extremely good, I mean top tier historically good. They have pretty much stopped blitzing and just rush 4 or MAYBE 5 (at most).

They also don’t have to worry about Zeke’s ability to carve them up like he did the first 4 years of his career where they would stack the box with at least 8 guys because Zeke was THAT good. Having a prolific rushing attack allows for the passing game (especially play action) to really open up and ‘cook’.

The “struggling” Cowboys offense currently ranks #1 in the NFL with 5,646 yards and #2 in the NFL with 401 points scored. How does this compare to the 92 cowboys? They were #4 in the league with 5,606 yards and #2 in the league with 409 points scored.

So with 3 games to go, the 2021 Cowboys have already surpassed the 92 team in yards gained and are 8 points behind them in total points scored (16 game season).

You sir are a Scholar!

Even Troy knows Dakota is the truth

Kingofholland

Reaction score

It's hard to compare 92 to today due rule changes making passing a lot easier. Its why most passing records have been broken over the last couple decades.

Blake

Reaction score
giphy.gif

DFWJC

Reaction score

Complete and total apples vs oranges
You cant even compare 2010 to 2021, let alone the 1990s.

A mid 90s QB rating back then is like a 105 rating in 2021

Last edited:

ultron

Reaction score
Complete and total apples vs oranges
You cant even compare 2010 to 2021, let alone the 1990s.

A mid 80s QB rating back then is like a 105 rating in 2021
Not talking about the mid 80’s. I’m talking about the 1992 Dallas cowboys. Are you going to tell me the 90’s Bulls wouldn’t beat the hell out of every nba team right now, because free agency is what balanced the nfl out and that 92 Cowboys team would piss on every team in the nfl right now.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Just to put a little background on what others are saying, Aikman was 3rd in the NFL in passer rating that year.

Dak is currently 10th.

Just for reference, here is where Aikman ranked for passer rating from 91-95: 6th, 3rd, 6th, 3rd
Here is what Dak has ranked for passer rating the last 4 years: 14th, 10th, 11th, 10th

Take it for what its worth but those are the facts.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Not talking about the mid 80’s. I’m talking about the 1992 Dallas cowboys. Are you going to tell me the 90’s Bulls wouldn’t beat the hell out of every nba team right now, because free agency is what balanced the nfl out and that 92 Cowboys team would piss on every team in the nfl right now.
Add 20 points to everyones QB rating in 1992 and you still wouldnt level the playing field……unless you think Davis Mills and Trevor Seimien wouldve been elite back then

The adjustment is about 6-8 points per decade

Last edited:

tunahelper

Reaction score

Start with how much easier it is to play QB in 2021. Defenses were immensely more physical in 1992. DB's could chuck receivers and disrupt routes down field regularly. It was basically a wrestling match outside at the LOS. This is is why WR's had issues developing in the NFL.

Next look at how many hits were allowed to QB's in those days. It was brutal compared to today's NFL. The league has changed the rules, which inflated statistics.

Finally, Aikman like many of the players on the Cowboys of the 90's SB teams was at his best in the biggest moments of games. The bigger the moment, the bigger the play is when Aikman was ice.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score

Much of the problem is that defensive lines are carving our OL up like the Thanksgiving turkey while only rushing 4. If you can drop 7 and still pressure the QB it's going to cause problems for anyone. Gotta get the line right before January. Williams being in there today seemed to help. They need Tyron to get right.