Troy Aikman 1992 and Dak Prescott 2021

leeblair

Reaction score
Troy Aikman’s best year (statistically) was 1992. He passed for 3,445 yards and had 23 touchdowns & 14 interceptions. He had a passer rating of 89.5, behind what is regarded as one of the best offensive lines ever. He also had an all-pro running back that rushed for 1713 yards - so defensive coordinators had to game plan for the GOAT of RBs in addition to this prolific passing attack.

Fast forward nearly 30 years and 14 games into the 2021 season, Dak Prescott has thrown for more yards, more touchdowns, less interceptions & has a higher QB rating than Aikman did in 1992.

Dak currently has 3,598 yards, 25 touchdowns & 10 interceptions. He also has a QB rating of 98.1, so he’s already had a better year this year than Troy’s best year of his entire career.

People think Dak is slumping -or- I’ve seen the term “Dak sucks” and “Dak’s terrible” thrown around a lot today. But if you’ve been paying attention - here’s the secret and this is what teams have caught on to. They’ve caught on to the fact that Dak is EXTREMELY good vs. the blitz. When I say extremely good, I mean top tier historically good. They have pretty much stopped blitzing and just rush 4 or MAYBE 5 (at most).

They also don’t have to worry about Zeke’s ability to carve them up like he did the first 4 years of his career where they would stack the box with at least 8 guys because Zeke was THAT good. Having a prolific rushing attack allows for the passing game (especially play action) to really open up and ‘cook’.

The “struggling” Cowboys offense currently ranks #1 in the NFL with 5,646 yards and #2 in the NFL with 401 points scored. How does this compare to the 92 cowboys? They were #4 in the league with 5,606 yards and #2 in the league with 409 points scored.

So with 3 games to go, the 2021 Cowboys have already surpassed the 92 team in yards gained and are 8 points behind them in total points scored (16 game season).

Take it for what it’s worth but those are the facts.
Don't EVER compare Troy to Dak.
Just don't.

beacamdim

Reaction score
Troy Aikman’s best year (statistically) was 1992. He passed for 3,445 yards and had 23 touchdowns & 14 interceptions. He had a passer rating of 89.5, behind what is regarded as one of the best offensive lines ever. He also had an all-pro running back that rushed for 1713 yards - so defensive coordinators had to game plan for the GOAT of RBs in addition to this prolific passing attack.

Fast forward nearly 30 years and 14 games into the 2021 season, Dak Prescott has thrown for more yards, more touchdowns, less interceptions & has a higher QB rating than Aikman did in 1992.

Dak currently has 3,598 yards, 25 touchdowns & 10 interceptions. He also has a QB rating of 98.1, so he’s already had a better year this year than Troy’s best year of his entire career.

People think Dak is slumping -or- I’ve seen the term “Dak sucks” and “Dak’s terrible” thrown around a lot today. But if you’ve been paying attention - here’s the secret and this is what teams have caught on to. They’ve caught on to the fact that Dak is EXTREMELY good vs. the blitz. When I say extremely good, I mean top tier historically good. They have pretty much stopped blitzing and just rush 4 or MAYBE 5 (at most).

They also don’t have to worry about Zeke’s ability to carve them up like he did the first 4 years of his career where they would stack the box with at least 8 guys because Zeke was THAT good. Having a prolific rushing attack allows for the passing game (especially play action) to really open up and ‘cook’.

The “struggling” Cowboys offense currently ranks #1 in the NFL with 5,646 yards and #2 in the NFL with 401 points scored. How does this compare to the 92 cowboys? They were #4 in the league with 5,606 yards and #2 in the league with 409 points scored.

So with 3 games to go, the 2021 Cowboys have already surpassed the 92 team in yards gained and are 8 points behind them in total points scored (16 game season).

Comparing NFL offense in 1992 vs 2021 is like comparing dead ball era baseball to the steroid era.

entirely different game.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Different eras. Very hard to compare offensive players today vs. 30 years ago, especially when it comes to numbers and stats. Today's game is geared towards more offense and scoring compared to 1992, especially in regards to throwing the ball. The league average in passing yards is 234.6 today vs. 187.6 (1992) - https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/NFL/index.htm

21 QBs have a higher QB rating than Troy's 89.5 in 1992 - it's just a game that is catered to passing the ball now. - https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/passing.htm#passing::pass_rating

Kirk Cousins has already surpassed Troy's 1992 stats. Even a 2nd year QB like Burrow has too.

SFloridaCowboy

Reaction score
Aikman had a superstar RB. He did not have to throw the ball. He had a great offensive line. It blasted open holes and protected the QB.

Aikman had a star WR who was a star on the field every game. He could get open against any DB, expecially in the clutch. His name is Michael Irvin.

Aikman could hit him for 12-15 yarders all the time. Aikman could throw the long ball accurately. Aikman had a great arm and was one of the most accurate passers in his era.

Today, Dak looked like a rookie QB who could not throw the ball downfield. He looks like he has been hyptnotized into becoming a lesser QB.

Amari Cooper, a superstar WR? Where have you been? How come you do not get open anymore. You are not a franchise WR at all. You pale in comparison to Drew Perarson and Michael Irvin.

pansophy

Reaction score
You can’t compare QBs from different eras using raw numbers. CBs could mug receivers back in the day. The game has been changed to make it more pass friendly. Dak’s numbers should be much better than Troy’s best season ever year.

Ken

Reaction score
Just to put a little background on what others are saying, Aikman was 3rd in the NFL in passer rating that year.

Dak is currently 10th.

Just for reference, here is where Aikman ranked for passer rating from 91-95: 6th, 3rd, 6th, 3rd
Here is what Dak has ranked for passer rating the last 4 years: 14th, 10th, 11th, 10th

Take it for what its worth but those are the facts.
Troy also threw it half the amount and had a perenial #1 defense and an all time run game.

Ken

Reaction score
You can’t compare QBs from different eras using raw numbers. CBs could mug receivers back in the day. The game has been changed to make it more pass friendly. Dak’s numbers should be much better than Troy’s best season ever year.
They are...

Shane612

Reaction score
The 90's cowboys had a massive running game, which Aikman gladly used to win three SBs.
If that team was more pass oriented, Aikman could have added at least few more thousand yards to his final career yards.

jnday

Reaction score

You must have been too young to watch Troy and the Dallas offense during the 1990s. If you had watched Aikman and the offense that he led, you would never compare them to Dak and the offense from the modern era. Aikman didn’t have the luxury of playing under rules that protected the QB from taking hits and protects WRs from being touched after five yards. It was a totally different game during the Aikman years. It was impossible to put up the stats that you see in the modern NFL. The stats that Dak and the offense has put up has not resulted in a Super Bowl win. These empty stats have not translated to playoff either, so those stats means nothing unless you are into the fantasy football thing.

ultron

Reaction score
You must have been too young to watch Troy and the Dallas offense during the 1990s. If you had watched Aikman and the offense that he led, you would never compare them to Dak and the offense from the modern era. Aikman didn’t have the luxury of playing under rules that protected the QB from taking hits and protects WRs from being touched after five yards. It was a totally different game during the Aikman years. It was impossible to put up the stats that you see in the modern NFL. The stats that Dak and the offense has put up has not resulted in a Super Bowl win. These empty stats have not translated to playoff either, so those stats means nothing unless you are into the fantasy football thing.
*yawn* I’m 39 years old and saw every second of Aikman’s career big guy. All of you guys are trying to make this stupid point but explain Dan Marino’s 1984 season where he tossed the rock for 5,084 yards and 48 touchdowns.

Thanks for taking the bait, you’re all dead *** wrong and can try to cherry pick all you want but facts are facts. Men and women lie but numbers don’t.

I’ve got more if you guys need some more.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not talking about the mid 80’s. I’m talking about the 1992 Dallas cowboys. Are you going to tell me the 90’s Bulls wouldn’t beat the hell out of every nba team right now, because free agency is what balanced the nfl out and that 92 Cowboys team would piss on every team in the nfl right now.

Since you wanted to bring up basketball, let me take you to school and show just how terrible it is that you have the gall to compare Dak Prescott to Troy Aikman.

—————————
After 1994, Michael Jordan averaged 30+ ppg only one time (he averaged 30.4 ppg in 1995-1996).

In the modern-era NBA, here are a few guys that have averaged 30+ ppg for a whole season:
James Harden (3 times)
Bradley Beal (2 times)
Russell Westbrook (once)
Tracy McGrady (once)

So if we’re using your metrics of comparison, you’re telling me that Bradley Beal is a better scorer than Michael Jordan was, post 1994?

Not only that, but EVERY GUY LISTED HERE averaged more points during their 30+ ppg season(s) than Jordan did; therefore, they’re all better scorers than Jordan was, right?

Are you seeing how stupid is it to compare cross-era stats?
—————————

Now, turn this back to football. I know you’re trying to garner reactions by posting this laughable topic and grasping at straws to defend your man. But I also know that even you don’t believe Dak is having a better season than Aikman ever did. If Troy played in 2021, his individual stats and team success would blow anything Dak has done out of the water.

Making baseless comparisons between Dak and a three time Super Bowl winning HOF QB is beyond insulting. Just take a loss here and tell us that while your favorite player may be struggling at the moment, you’re going to support him no matter what. We’d all respect that way more than this charade you’re conducting right now.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Much of the problem is that defensive lines are carving our OL up like the Thanksgiving turkey while only rushing 4. If you can drop 7 and still pressure the QB it's going to cause problems for anyone. Gotta get the line right before January. Williams being in there today seemed to help. They need Tyron to get right.
Fact.

diamonddelts

Reaction score

This is the most informative post I've seen this entire year.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Different eras. Very hard to compare offensive players today vs. 30 years ago, especially when it comes to numbers and stats. Today's game is geared towards more offense and scoring compared to 1992, especially in regards to throwing the ball. The league average in passing yards is 234.6 today vs. 187.6 (1992) - https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/NFL/index.htm

21 QBs have a higher QB rating than Troy's 89.5 in 1992 - it's just a game that is catered to passing the ball now. - https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/passing.htm#passing::pass_rating

Kirk Cousins has already surpassed Troy's 1992 stats. Even a 2nd year QB like Burrow has too.
Plus, the radical rule changes

Receivers free to go wherever they want now without getting their head blown up.
QBs are bubble wrapped.

WAY easier to complete a pass and pile up yards in today's game

DFWJC

Reaction score
This is the most informative post I've seen this entire year.
Wow.

You have so much to learn then

You cannot compare eras like that

Entirely different game now.....its even different than it was in mid 2000s, let alone early-mid 90s.

BigDPlayer

Reaction score

#truth #preach

Motorola

Reaction score

Also a fact:
The top four passers that 1992 season were Aikman, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, and Steve Young.
And those four QBs' teams made it the conference championship games that postseason.
AFC - Buffalo Bills @ Miami Dolphins
NFC - Dallas Cowboys @ San Francisco Forty-Niners

heir

Reaction score

Cannot even come close to comparing the two eras.