Troy Aikman 1992 and Dak Prescott 2021

Trendnet

Reaction score
Troy Aikman’s best year (statistically) was 1992. He passed for 3,445 yards and had 23 touchdowns & 14 interceptions. He had a passer rating of 89.5, behind what is regarded as one of the best offensive lines ever. He also had an all-pro running back that rushed for 1713 yards - so defensive coordinators had to game plan for the GOAT of RBs in addition to this prolific passing attack.

Fast forward nearly 30 years and 14 games into the 2021 season, Dak Prescott has thrown for more yards, more touchdowns, less interceptions & has a higher QB rating than Aikman did in 1992.

In 1992, 89.5 QB rating was good for 3rd best in the league.

In 2021, 89.5 QB rating would be good for 23rd in the league - behind Tyler Heincike.

Are you seriously making the argument Tyler Heinicke is a better QB that Aikman? Wow!

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
In 1992, 89.5 QB rating was good for 3rd best in the league.

In 2021, 89.5 QB rating would be good for 23rd in the league - behind Tyler Heincike.

Are you seriously making the argument Tyler Heinicke is a better QB that Aikman? Wow!
That's exactly what he wants us to think.

These guys aren't above dogging a 3 time Super Bowl champ for their supposed favorite team if they think it makes Dak look better.

Dallas Prescott fans are a strange bunch I tell ya.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Troy Aikman’s best year (statistically) was 1992. He passed for 3,445 yards and had 23 touchdowns & 14 interceptions. He had a passer rating of 89.5, behind what is regarded as one of the best offensive lines ever. He also had an all-pro running back that rushed for 1713 yards - so defensive coordinators had to game plan for the GOAT of RBs in addition to this prolific passing attack.

Fast forward nearly 30 years and 14 games into the 2021 season, Dak Prescott has thrown for more yards, more touchdowns, less interceptions & has a higher QB rating than Aikman did in 1992.

Dak currently has 3,598 yards, 25 touchdowns & 10 interceptions. He also has a QB rating of 98.1, so he’s already had a better year this year than Troy’s best year of his entire career.

People think Dak is slumping -or- I’ve seen the term “Dak sucks” and “Dak’s terrible” thrown around a lot today. But if you’ve been paying attention - here’s the secret and this is what teams have caught on to. They’ve caught on to the fact that Dak is EXTREMELY good vs. the blitz. When I say extremely good, I mean top tier historically good. They have pretty much stopped blitzing and just rush 4 or MAYBE 5 (at most).

They also don’t have to worry about Zeke’s ability to carve them up like he did the first 4 years of his career where they would stack the box with at least 8 guys because Zeke was THAT good. Having a prolific rushing attack allows for the passing game (especially play action) to really open up and ‘cook’.

The “struggling” Cowboys offense currently ranks #1 in the NFL with 5,646 yards and #2 in the NFL with 401 points scored. How does this compare to the 92 cowboys? They were #4 in the league with 5,606 yards and #2 in the league with 409 points scored.

So with 3 games to go, the 2021 Cowboys have already surpassed the 92 team in yards gained and are 8 points behind them in total points scored (16 game season).

Take it for what it’s worth but those are the facts.
This team does remind me of the 92 team in a few ways and I posted that a while ago. It still does.

Comparing stats from then to now if a tough racket, and this place can be tough at times.

That aside.....I remember that season very very well.

But I'm actually surprised Troy had as many as 14 interceptions. I don't recall much of that. I'd bet like 6 were in the 3 losses, but I don't remember any of them being squarely on him.

JonesBoys

Reaction score

Dak currently has 3,598 yards, 25 touchdowns & 10 interceptions. He also has a QB rating of 98.1, so he’s already had a better year this year than Troy’s best year of his entire career.

People think Dak is slumping -or- I’ve seen the term “Dak sucks” and “Dak’s terrible” thrown around a lot today. But if you’ve been paying attention - here’s the secret and this is what teams have caught on to. They’ve caught on to the fact that Dak is EXTREMELY good vs. the blitz. When I say extremely good, I mean top tier historically good. They have pretty much stopped blitzing and just rush 4 or MAYBE 5 (at most).

They also don’t have to worry about Zeke’s ability to carve them up like he did the first 4 years of his career where they would stack the box with at least 8 guys because Zeke was THAT good. Having a prolific rushing attack allows for the passing game (especially play action) to really open up and ‘cook’.

The “struggling” Cowboys offense currently ranks #1 in the NFL with 5,646 yards and #2 in the NFL with 401 points scored. How does this compare to the 92 cowboys? They were #4 in the league with 5,606 yards and #2 in the league with 409 points scored.

So with 3 games to go, the 2021 Cowboys have already surpassed the 92 team in yards gained and are 8 points behind them in total points scored (16 game season).

Comparing today's football to 1992 is a complete waste of time. The game and the rules have changed significantly. Emmitt wouldn't be as valued today as he was then. He wouldn't get 25-30 carries a game ect... here I am wasting my time explaining lol

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Wow.

You have so much to learn then

You cannot compare eras like that

Entirely different game now.....its even different than it was in mid 2000s, let alone early-mid 90s.

Oh yes my master. Please teach me since I am your young padawan.

GINeric

Reaction score

You've just ruined the holiday season of some of these coward @$$ Dak haters that dwell on this board. I can't wait to see how those weak cowards try to put a spin on THIS one!!!

DFWJC

Reaction score
Worst thread ive ever seen on here
I normally think Dak is better than you do....relatively speaking.
But this is a really short-sighted and misinformed thread.

Comparing NFL QB stats specifically, 30 years apart, gets the OP a stats grade "F" in any book.

And we had some guy say a few posts back that it was the most informative OPs he had seen on this site.
:facepalm:

Think about that. Unreal

Maybe I misread his meaning. Maybe he meant "informative" in that it shows the lack of stats knowledge around here. Not sure.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
*yawn* I’m 39 years old and saw every second of Aikman’s career big guy. All of you guys are trying to make this stupid point but explain Dan Marino’s 1984 season where he tossed the rock for 5,084 yards and 48 touchdowns.

Thanks for taking the bait, you’re all dead *** wrong and can try to cherry pick all you want but facts are facts. Men and women lie but numbers don’t.

I’ve got more if you guys need some more.

That year Marino threw for 48 td's and 5k yards was a unicorn year not the norm. Joe Montana finished under 89 qb rating 8 times in his career. By your standards Dak is better than Joe Montana was. And this is not to crap on Dak. He is a good QB who still has lots of time left,

Dallasfann

Reaction score
Love the optimism. I hope Dak proves all the haters wrong, but to be fair. Troy Aikman is still to this day one of the best big game QB's to ever play.

USArmyVet

Reaction score

You mean 1992 Aikman who had 473 attempts compared to 2021 Dak who has already had 492 attempts.....and the 1992 Aikman that played in a run oriented era which allowed DB's to get away with holding and had no rules like today which heavily benefit the offense while penalizing the defense.....so trying to elevate Dak by comparing him to a QB that played damn near 30 years ago......my how the Dakites are getting more and more desperate.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Aikman was the greatest bus driver that ever lived. But without that line and the great players around him, he fades into the distance.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Aikman was the greatest bus driver that ever lived. But without that line and the great players around him, he fades into the distance.

Funny how that bus driver won 3 Super Bowls yet according to this thread Dak is better than Aikman....yet hasn't won crap.

Darkhound

Reaction score

the VERY FACT that you are comparing DAK TO AIKMAN makes this post ULTRA STUPID