DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

4:10 - 5:45

On Jimmy Johnson having to wait at least another year:

* "It's beyond disappointing."
* "I wouldn't be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, nor would Emmitt, or Michael, or Charles Haley, or anyone else, if it weren't for what Jimmy meant to those teams."
* "It's a big disappointment to me."
* "I just thought it was the Dallas Cowboys Ring of Honor, he's made it the Jerry Jones Ring of Honor, and it's just disappointing that Jimmy is not up there."

9gqz4v4.jpg

calico

Reaction score
Jerry’s made the whole thing a worthless joke anyway. The league already honored him, that’s all that matters.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Once again, it was in Jimmy's contract that he was both coach and GM. There has been links to this fact many times on this forum.
Once again, he's not going in the ring of honor and he doesn't deserve too, that's not because he wasn't a great coach.

I love Jimmy Johnson, but you can't trash your ex-boss and expect to go on the wall of fame, in his building.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Once again, he's not going in the ring of honor and he doesn't deserve too, that's not because he wasn't a great coach.

I love Jimmy Johnson, but you can't trash your ex-boss and expect to go on the wall of fame, in his building.
Jerry should be kissing the ground that Jimmy walks on. He's been living off the accomplishments of Jimmy for 30 years now.

Brax

Reaction score
No, disrespect came from the employer because he wanted more credit and the accolades for what his employee achieved.

Jimmy wasn’t going to kiss Jethro’s butt. Most respect that.

Jimmy became the face of Jethro’s franchise not by his own choosing but as a result of his success.

Winning championships wasn’t enough for our narcissistic owner to play second fiddle.
Good post, I believe Jimmy gets in the season following a Cowboys SB victory in the rest of Jerry’s lifetime or the season after he’s 6 under.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score

You are just confirming what Troy is saying about being Jerry Jones ROH....it's all about Jerry. As long as you are in good standing with him, kiss his arse and do what the man says, you MIGHT be in. This has nothing to do with Jerry, it was the COWBOYS ROH....achievements made by the individual for the team. Who cares what Jimmy said, does not minimize his importance in Cowboys history and the fact he is the architect of three SB trophies of the five they have.

As for his building, they have never won any SB or close to it, in HIS building. All this was while at Texas Stadium.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
He's in the Hall of Fame, who cares about the Ring? It's not like he coached his entire career there.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To me this ROH snub of Jimmy by Jerry underscores what makes Jerry a petty and disrespectful NFL owner.

He sees the Dallas Cowboys as his personal plaything rather than seeing that while he owns the financial rights to the Cowboys, he also has a responsibility to value the team’s greater community- its fans and the taxpayers who have made huge contributions to making the Cowboys the most valuable franchise in sports.

Here is what I mean:
  • Owning a professional sports team is NOT like owning a typical family business like a restaurant or a lumber company. Those kind of family businesses were built completely on the risk, sweat and decision-making of its owners. NFL franchises on the other hand are an extremely low risk, high reward business that is not built completely on the owner’s financial investment.
  • Conversely, the Cowboys although they were purchased by JJ, he has benefitted greatly by the taxpayers of both Irving and Arlington for the stadiums where the Cowboys have played. Jerry has a responsibility to the Dallas-Ft Worth community which has supported the team financially for decades.
  • Owning an NFL team has responsibilities to the communities in which they reside.
So all that to say this: Jerry acting like the ROH is “his” and that everything associated with the team is “his” is a slap in the face to every Cowboys fan. Especially the taxpayers and season ticket holders who have helped make him the richest man in sports.

Jerry owns the financial rights to the Cowboys and he’s certainly upgraded the team’s financial standing. But he also owes the community more than his dictator-like hold on the team. Keeping Jimmy Johnson out of the ROH is a slap in the face to every long time Cowboys fan.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
Say what you want about Aikman, but he is unflailingly honest and doesn't pull his punches. Most Cowboy players are deferential to Jones, but Aikman remains honest to his core. Good for him.
100% It probably doesn't even phase Jerry and his pettiness to hear someone like Troy talk about how ridiculous this is.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
To me this ROH snub of Jimmy by Jerry underscores what makes Jerry a petty and disrespectful NFL owner.

He sees the Dallas Cowboys as his personal plaything rather than seeing that while he owns the financial rights to the Cowboys, he also has a responsibility to value the team’s greater community- its fans and the taxpayers who have made huge contributions to making the Cowboys the most valuable franchise in sports.

Here is what I mean:
  • Owning a professional sports team is NOT like owning a typical family business like a restaurant or a lumber company. Those kind of family businesses were built completely on the risk, sweat and decision-making of its owners. NFL franchises on the other hand are an extremely low risk, high reward business that is not built completely on the owner’s financial investment.
  • Conversely, the Cowboys although they were purchased by JJ, he has benefitted greatly by the taxpayers of both Irving and Arlington for the stadiums the Cowboys have played in. Jerry has a responsibility to the Dallas-Ft Worth community which has supported the team financially for decades.
  • Owning an NFL team has responsibilities to the communities in which they reside.
So all that to say this: Jerry acting like the ROH is “his” and that everything associated with the team is “his” is a slap in the face to every Cowboys fan. Especially the taxpayers and season ticket holders who have helped make him the richest man in sports.

Jerry owns the financial rights to the Cowboys and he’s certainly upgraded the team’s financial standing. But he also owes the community more than his dictator-like hold on the team. Keeping Jimmy Johnson out of the ROH is a slap in the face to every long time Cowboys fan.
Is anyone surprised by his behavior though? He believes he is the Dallas Cowboys. His ego and pettiness are a few reasons why a lot of fans can't stand him.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Troy, Michael, and Emmitt should make a public declaration to Jerry Jones to remove them until Jimmy Johnson is put in.

But I know they won't

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
If you want Jimmy in you are going to need to effect their bottom line and have it known Jimmy is the reason for it. Or have Jerry die and hope Steve-o doesn't hold the same opinion of Jimmy's exit strategy.

Good luck.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score

He will go into the ring and he deserves to more than just about anyone else in team history. It may have to wait till Jerry passes which would be a tragedy. You don't hold a grudge for decades over something so trivial. You think you are protecting Jones, but instead are shining a spotlight on what a petty, and small minded person he is.

Frankly, there is no defending this logically as it is all a giant appeal to emotion fallacy - Jerry's butt hurt status is the only thing keeping Jimmy out. You act like Johnson did something so egregious like physical harm. Only words were exchanged and they weren't of manner such as threats on life of loved ones. It was just a business spat.

Also, glad you now know Jimmy was GM.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Let’s talk about Troy’s opinions. Troy publicly trashed Barry Switzer for being too soft on the Cowboys’ players. I get it. Troy was still butt-hurt for Barry dumping him as the starting QB at Oklahoma in 1985, and going on to win his 3rd national championship with Jamelle Hollieway, a freshman, as his starting QB. Yeah, Aikman got a championship ring for being on the bench, but I’m guessing that is as valuable to him as the ring Drew Bledsoe got when he backed up Tom Brady in the Patriots first Super Bowl win in the 2001 Super Bowl. And then Troy had to transfer to UCLA because he wasn’t going to get to start for Switzer in Oklahoma.

But in the 1994 season, when the Cowboys were clearly the better team, it wasn’t Barry Switzer who threw 3 interceptions resulting in a 21 points in the first 5 minutes of the playoff game against the 49ers in the playoff game that year. And it wasn’t Barry who threw a late 4th quarter interception earlier in the season against the same 49ers, which caused the Cowboys to lose that game, and also lose home field advantage for the playoffs. That was also Troy Aikman.

Aikman was a good QB that was carried into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, on the shoulders of Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin, and the 3 Super Bowl wins they produced. I give credit to Troy for playing great in the 1992 season playoffs. But it was the Defense that beat the Bills in that first Super Bowl, when they knocked Jim Kelly out of the game, and forced 9 turnovers. It was Emmitt who saved the 1993 season, coming back after an 0-2 start that Troy had without him. It was Troy, not Barry Switzer, who screwed up the 1994 season, and it was Larry Brown and Neil O’Donnell who won the 3rd Super Bowl for the Cowboys.

For all of Troy’s bluster about Switzer, he was the least important member of the “Triplets” that carried the Cowboys to 3 Super Bowls in 4 seasons. Emmitt Smith was the motor that powered the Super Bowl bus in the early 90’s. Michael Irvin was the Super Charger. Troy was merely the driver, and he was the one who wrecked the bus in 1994, not Switzer.

So, excuse me if I don’t hang on every word that drops from the mouth of Aikman.

J-man

Reaction score
At this point it's just stupid. We all know he deserves it, we all know it will happen at some point. Jerry, just get it over with. You're making it about you and your bitterness and quite frankly you bad for it. Suck up your pride, do it before you or he dies, save some face with the football world and your fans.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Wow., just amazing how some fans will dog anyone who is critical of our owner including Troy and Jimmy.

What kind of fan supports Jethro and Barry over Jimmy and Troy?

Probably fans with as great of an agenda as our owner.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Wow., just amazing how some fans will dog anyone who is critical of our owner including Troy and Jimmy.

What kind of fan supports Jethro and Barry over Jimmy and Troy?

Probably fans with as great of an agenda as our owner.
Has to be members of the Jones family.