Troy Aikman: he's made it the 'Jerry Jones Ring of Honor'

RonnieT24

Reaction score
A lotta talk about Jerry's pettiness and what have you.. but the fact of the matter is it IS Jerry's Ring of Honor as long as he owns the team. I guess I just don't care enough about it to be up in arms over Jimmy being excluded. I still maintain that he owns at LEAST half the blame for what went down between the two because he would not stop badmouthing his friggin boss to anybody who would listen. To me that screams a guy trying to get fired frankly. Folks need to accept that Jimmy was probably ready to move on from Dallas and his behavior at the end all but confirms that in my view. That had been his M.O. every place he'd ever coached. He didn't care about the impact it would have on his "legacy." Why should we?

Mr_437

Reaction score
Totally agree with Troy, Jerry should look at himself as a steward to The Ring of Honor, but he's turned into his like or dislike group.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
It's a shame that two successful men who have success with each other in college and the biggest stage in football aren't even friends and haven't been for decades.

But they're both strong personalities and I don't know what they've said to each other back in the day. It's just sad two old men with that past got to this point.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Jerry should be kissing the ground that Jimmy walks on. He's been living off the accomplishments of Jimmy for 30 years now.
Jerry bought the Dallas Cowboys, fired Tom Landry and hired Jimmy Johnson, those three moves are bigger than any move Jimmy ever made.
He trashed his boss to the public and media and he's not going into the ring of honor until Jerry says so. This is real life.

Nobody can take away Jimmy's 3 SB titles and HOF status, he was a great coach, my favorite coach of all time.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Say what you want about Aikman, but he is unflailingly honest and doesn't pull his punches. Most Cowboy players are deferential to Jones, but Aikman remains honest to his core. Good for him.
He doesn't need Jerry for anything. Thats helps a lot.

Swanny

Reaction score

4:10 - 5:45

On Jimmy Johnson having to wait at least another year:

* "It's beyond disappointing."
* "I wouldn't be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, nor would Emmitt, or Michael, or Charles Haley, or anyone else, if it weren't for what Jimmy meant to those teams."
* "It's a big disappointment to me."
* "I just thought it was the Dallas Cowboys Ring of Honor, he's made it the Jerry Jones Ring of Honor, and it's just disappointing that Jimmy is not up there."

It's a joke that Jimmy isn't in. Jerry should be ashamed. But of course it's going to be the Jerry Jones Ring of Honor he's owned the team fior a long long long time. Every player going into the ROH will be a Jerry Jones player.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Jerry bought the Dallas Cowboys, fired Tom Landry and hired Jimmy Johnson, those three moves are bigger than any move Jimmy ever made.
He trashed his boss to the public and media and he's not going into the ring of honor until Jerry says so. This is real life.

Nobody can take away Jimmy's 3 SB titles and HOF status, he was a great coach, my favorite coach of all time.
Yeah, the Cowboys only belong to Jerry Jones. And he will not be sharing any more limelight than he is compelled to. Jimmy was just a buddy with recent top level college coaching success that roomed with him during college. Jerry hit it big in the oil business. The Cowboys were needing a new direction from Tom Landry. First two things showed uncommon luck, and the last something a 7 year old could understand.

The current franchise and its popularity do not exist without Jimmy. Jimmy built the 90’s dynasty with the other coaches and Jerry’s consent. Bad mouthing from your employee while you also bad mouthed them is what happened 30 years ago. Jerry could let it go and recognize that people (himself included) say things when upset and emotional. He will not. Because he’s still butthurt and jealous of a superior championship football team architect/intellect. Like Troy said, he thought it was the Dallas Cowboys’ ring of honor but that is not true at this time. That ring of honor needs Jerry’s name on it because it has nothing to do with the franchise if you cannot judge without massive bias.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Let’s talk about Troy’s opinions. Troy publicly trashed Barry Switzer for being too soft on the Cowboys’ players. I get it. Troy was still butt-hurt for Barry dumping him as the starting QB at Oklahoma in 1985, and going on to win his 3rd national championship with Jamelle Hollieway, a freshman, as his starting QB. Yeah, Aikman got a championship ring for being on the bench, but I’m guessing that is as valuable to him as the ring Drew Bledsoe got when he backed up Tom Brady in the Patriots first Super Bowl win in the 2001 Super Bowl. And then Troy had to transfer to UCLA because he wasn’t going to get to start for Switzer in Oklahoma.

But in the 1994 season, when the Cowboys were clearly the better team, it wasn’t Barry Switzer who threw 3 interceptions resulting in a 21 points in the first 5 minutes of the playoff game against the 49ers in the playoff game that year. And it wasn’t Barry who threw a late 4th quarter interception earlier in the season against the same 49ers, which caused the Cowboys to lose that game, and also lose home field advantage for the playoffs. That was also Troy Aikman.

Aikman was a good QB that was carried into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, on the shoulders of Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin, and the 3 Super Bowl wins they produced. I give credit to Troy for playing great in the 1992 season playoffs. But it was the Defense that beat the Bills in that first Super Bowl, when they knocked Jim Kelly out of the game, and forced 9 turnovers. It was Emmitt who saved the 1993 season, coming back after an 0-2 start that Troy had without him. It was Troy, not Barry Switzer, who screwed up the 1994 season, and it was Larry Brown and Neil O’Donnell who won the 3rd Super Bowl for the Cowboys.

For all of Troy’s bluster about Switzer, he was the least important member of the “Triplets” that carried the Cowboys to 3 Super Bowls in 4 seasons. Emmitt Smith was the motor that powered the Super Bowl bus in the early 90’s. Michael Irvin was the Super Charger. Troy was merely the driver, and he was the one who wrecked the bus in 1994, not Switzer.

So, excuse me if I don’t hang on every word that drops from the mouth of Aikman.
I might feel like you, then I remembered my parents are still married.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's a shame that long time fans take the side of a guy who made a vr meet of himself instead of a guy who was a real coach and destroyed rival dynasty's.

How anyone could admire Jerry Jones is beyond me.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Let’s talk about Troy’s opinions. Troy publicly trashed Barry Switzer for being too soft on the Cowboys’ players. I get it. Troy was still butt-hurt for Barry dumping him as the starting QB at Oklahoma in 1985, and going on to win his 3rd national championship with Jamelle Hollieway, a freshman, as his starting QB. Yeah, Aikman got a championship ring for being on the bench, but I’m guessing that is as valuable to him as the ring Drew Bledsoe got when he backed up Tom Brady in the Patriots first Super Bowl win in the 2001 Super Bowl. And then Troy had to transfer to UCLA because he wasn’t going to get to start for Switzer in Oklahoma.

But in the 1994 season, when the Cowboys were clearly the better team, it wasn’t Barry Switzer who threw 3 interceptions resulting in a 21 points in the first 5 minutes of the playoff game against the 49ers in the playoff game that year. And it wasn’t Barry who threw a late 4th quarter interception earlier in the season against the same 49ers, which caused the Cowboys to lose that game, and also lose home field advantage for the playoffs. That was also Troy Aikman.

Aikman was a good QB that was carried into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, on the shoulders of Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin, and the 3 Super Bowl wins they produced. I give credit to Troy for playing great in the 1992 season playoffs. But it was the Defense that beat the Bills in that first Super Bowl, when they knocked Jim Kelly out of the game, and forced 9 turnovers. It was Emmitt who saved the 1993 season, coming back after an 0-2 start that Troy had without him. It was Troy, not Barry Switzer, who screwed up the 1994 season, and it was Larry Brown and Neil O’Donnell who won the 3rd Super Bowl for the Cowboys.

For all of Troy’s bluster about Switzer, he was the least important member of the “Triplets” that carried the Cowboys to 3 Super Bowls in 4 seasons. Emmitt Smith was the motor that powered the Super Bowl bus in the early 90’s. Michael Irvin was the Super Charger. Troy was merely the driver, and he was the one who wrecked the bus in 1994, not Switzer.

So, excuse me if I don’t hang on every word that drops from the mouth of Aikman.
What a load of horse crap ..... jeebus

CoachD

Reaction score
I was told that it was like beating a dead horse and my post was deleted when I mentioned Jimmy and the ring honor wonder if Troy will get the same treatment?

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

Jerry has been the main cause of us sucking for 30 years. I don't feel sorry for him one bit. The ROH, is a joke without Jimmy. I can imagine what this team would have been like if Jerry had never been friends with Jimmy. Imagine him trying to be GM right off the back after he fired Landry. We'd be talking about those 70's SB teams. I know this is real life. I don't really think Jimmy cares as much now that he's in the HOF. Because now it looks more and more like Jerry is being Petty.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There are a certain group of fans who will turn on Troy now that he said something negative about Jerry

Same ones who turned on Martin just a few weeks back.

It's pathetic

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
There are a certain group of fans who will turn on Troy now that he said something negative about Jerry

It's pathetic
Cowboys fandom comes in all forms, and what is undeniable truth is like bellybuttons and anuses, everyone has an opinion.

The tip is to not get too close to put your finger into it or get close to the smell.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

They don't have to.. because he only has 2 SB titles.

CCBoy

Reaction score

It's pathetic
Get a life or visit the Hall of Fame...both are in it.

By the way, Jerry's last order to Jimmy was to leave.

By griping now, change what things are right now being acted upon, this very second. Try a billboard next...that won't cost what Jerry pays at AT&T Stadium daily even.

CCBoy

Reaction score
It's a joke that Jimmy isn't in. Jerry should be ashamed. But of course it's going to be the Jerry Jones Ring of Honor he's owned the team fior a long long long time. Every player going into the ROH will be a Jerry Jones player.
The player is the team's.