Video: Troy Aikman on accuracy: You either have it or you don't

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
no it can't. YPC will eventually diminish because, eventually you reach the point where the running back suffers from exhaustion and mental fatigue. The law still holds. The only thing that external variables will do is effect at what coordinates on the graph that you will start having YPC decrease. But it is pretty much law, that at some points a Running Back's YPC will start to decrease when you increase carries. The football field is a production environment just like afactory or an office where the law is used.
Then how did Zeke's increase in the latter part of 2016 when it should have been decreasing?

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Look, there is no question that the Cowboys are trying to make Dak into Russell Wilson and give him credit he's trying hard. An NFL QB can function or he can't. The NFL QB grave yard is filled with past potential SB QB's who just could not function. Dak is a wonderful person but, not an NFL QB and we are not Seattle and will not win a SB with Dak at the helm...just the facts!
Yeah, these 2 QBs are like carbon copies of each other, like that were separated at birth

It’s uncanny how their skill sets are so unbelievably similar

Good call on that one.

Doesn't matter. Either the team wins or it doesn't.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Looking at 2016, since you made me, I really don't see that at all. It's a bit hard to judge 2016, since early on Zeek had his welcome to the NFL transition in the first few games. But I don't necessarily see him see him having more Attempts at the end of the season and resulting in higher YPC. http://www.nfl.com/player/ezekielelliott/2555224/gamelogs?season=2016
You don’t see he had 2 of his 3 best YPC games in the final 2 weeks of the season and had a strong playoff game?

Since you have obviously spent time investigating this, can you please share your data so I can take a look at it?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Why shouldn't we make a play for a Mahomes or a Mayfield in the draft? I want a superstar, not a truck driver. Don't get the fans who are totally content with a truck driver qb when the freaking Brownies of all teams now have a superstar qb and we are content having an appliance at the position. QB's are supposed to be Ferrari's not Toyota's, we have a Tercell...
Hey, what you got against truck drivers??? :angry:

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
You don’t see he had 2 of his 3 best YPC games in the final 2 weeks of the season and had a strong playoff game?

Since you have obviously spent time investigating this, can you please share your data so I can take a look at it?

I gave the link. Also those two of the last three games, he didn't have an extraordinarily high number of attempts to make you think that the law of diminishing returns isn't working here. I really don't know how useful it is to look at a chart like this and compare a good defense in a game versus a bad defense. it is something that becomes more evident when you look at end of season stats, and say, well he is leading the league in yards because he has had more carries than these other running backs, and look those running backs have higher YPC than Zeek so if they would've had the same carries as zeek than they would've had the most yards. The last part may be true about them maybe having more yards than zeek if they had the same amount of carries. But according to the law of diminishing returns, their YPC would be lower too after having more carries than zeek. So the point is: having the most carries in the season out of any other running back, probably also means that you will have lower YPC than other running backs who had less carries. You produced more, but at some point you rate of production went down because you were over worked. And like I said, a team can purposefully overwork a running back, knowing that it would negatively impact his YPC, because their main goal is slowing down the game, and they couldn't give a damn about the player's stats.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I gave the link. Also those two of the last three games, he didn't have an extraordinarily high number of attempts to make you think that the law of diminishing returns isn't working here. I really don't know how useful it is to look at a chart like this and compare a good defense in a game versus a bad defense. it is something that becomes more evident when you look at end of season stats, and say, well he is leading the league in yards because he has had more carries than these other running backs, and look those running backs have higher YPC than Zeek so if they would've had the same carries as zeek than they would've had the most yards. The last part may be true about them maybe having more yards than zeek if they had the same amount of carries. But according to the law of diminishing returns, their YPC would be lower too after having more carries than zeek. So the point is: having the most carries in the season out of any other running back, probably also means that you will have lower YPC than other running backs who had less carries. You produced more, but at some point you rate of production went down because you were over worked. And like I said, a team can purposefully overwork a running back, knowing that it would negatively impact his YPC, because their main goal is slowing down the game, and they couldn't give a damn about the player's stats.
You gave me what link? A link to Zeke’s 2016 season? I want your data on how you came to your conclusions that YPC will always decrease the more you run the ball.

So my example of Zeke have 2 of his best 3 games in the final 2 games of the regular season isn’t good enough to show YPC doesn’t always decrease with more carries.

Let me try a different way. How do you explain that Zeke averaged a higher YPC in the 2nd half of games than he does in the first half of games for his career? You can see this in the “splits” on ESPN stats. That shouldn’t occur according to you because the more carries should mean lower YPC.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
He is a pretty darn close relative if he is NOT White. Good eye.

You know, it just might be.

0408%20mac%20danny%20white%202

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
You gave me what link? A link to Zeke’s 2016 season? I want your data on how you came to your conclusions that YPC will always decrease the more you run the ball.

So my example of Zeke have 2 of his best 3 games in the final 2 games of the regular season isn’t good enough to show YPC doesn’t always decrease with more carries.

Let me try a different way. How do you explain that Zeke averaged a higher YPC in the 2nd half of games than he does in the first half of games for his career? You can see this in the “splits” on ESPN stats. That shouldn’t occur according to you because the more carries should mean lower YPC.

Come on man, I really don't want to do a research project to prove a point for someone on a forum, that the law of diminishing returns works. I've graduated college, and am glad that I don't need to worry about such assignments anymore. This 2016 example, well one of the games you were talking about Zeek had a minimum amount of carries to get that nice YPC. The YPC thing is on a per game basis, high number of attempts in a game should increase the number of yards total but at the cost of YPC. a non extreme number of carries should result in an increase of YPC but at the cost of total yards in the game. Then you have the whole thing about that in some games you face good defenses and in other games you face bad defenses. The law of diminishing returns would still apply but obviously you get lower base YPC against a good defenses and higher base YPC against a bad defense.. This all tends to even out at the end of the season, because your sample size is bigger than just a few games, enough so that you can compare end of seasons YPC of one back versus another. But honestly, I don't see the benefit of arguing what is considered a "law" of logic in our society to someone, and doing an assignment comparing how the cowboys did against each defense compared to how other defenses did to them, making charts and graphs, just to prove that yes, the Law of Diminishing returns applies here. I mean it would be just like someone giving me an assignment on a forum because they don't believe in the Law of Relativity or such.

Ken

Reaction score
This is what you Dak fanatics like to do: obfuscate reality by leaving out parts of the story. In this case, to make your point you mention 161 yards pass, 5 missed passes, as if that is all the opposing side is *****ing about. The reality is that the opposing side is talking about the trend that spans two seasons worth of games versus the one game you try to paint the picture with.
Well...it is better than fixating over a few plays that weren't perfect.

Enjoy it...it isn't going anywhere for a long time.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Yet Dak has beaten their GOD WENTZ for the division title 2/3 years...while Wentz's backup is showing everyone how overrated he is...

If I was Troy, I would ****...stick to calling games between your favorite QBs Wentz and Goff Troy...everytime during the game he tried to talk **** about Winston or Prescott they both made his *** look silly.
Dak doesn't play Wentz.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
if dak fears the little pressure he gets now, he would have crapped his white pants back in the 70's when they could plant a qb in the ground. Only "it" factor he would have had would have been in his shorts. So now Dak lovers are smarter and know more football that legend qb's. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::muttley::muttley::muttley::facepalm::facepalm:

I wish Tim Tebow would have had a good quarterback coach and a better scheme. He's a great guy who only need a quarterback guru to fix his throwing motion.:D He had "it" too, he is a winner.

Last edited:

cern

Reaction score
Running is a natural motion but are you and I faster than Usian Bolt? It's a lot of things that's natural don't mean everybody is at the same level of doing it. You remain convinced accuracy can be improved because of ego not being realistic. Dak is set in his ways now. If he hasn't improved on that accuracy that he has been know was a problem before he set foot in the nfl don't get how y'all think he about to change it all of a sudden. Accuracy can be taught to a beginner but like most things after awhile your natural skills even with training help can get you but so far.
the limit to which one can achieve a certain thing is genetic. husain bolt was taught certain things about running like keeping the head still and the proper way to get off the blocks.. but what untimately determines his speed is his genetic makeup. he also goes through a specific training regimen. most qb's continue to improve until their later 20's and early 30's. not sure where you get the ego thing from. makes no sense at all.

cern

Reaction score
It wasn't often, but he ran a few well. I think the perception is that way because he didn't have to the vast majority of his career.
jimmy made him quit running due to concussions. roger staubach also paid the price for running by being concussed.

Reactions: G2

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Dude, Dak had the IT factor in year 1 because defenses didn't know how to play him and our antiquated offense. They did in year two and continue to today. Once they
figure out your tendencies and know how to stop you cold, you fail week in and week out. Just remind yourself of that can beat QB from Baylor who did well for 1 year and then
fell out of the league due to having to run for his life. If you are looking for QB's who stand the test of time, look no further than NO, GB and NE. We don't have one of those.

Every team is looking for the next Tom Brady, Brees or Rodgers.... it doesnt take an elite QB to WIN a superbowl
Examples of the IT factor post 2016? I Just haven't seen IT. and I totally thought that Dak had the IT factor in 2016 and agreed with everyone back then.

At this point I dont care if DAK is the next Tom Brady or the next Mark Sanchez.....Bottom line, this team is winning and that what counts... Not worried about what type of QB DAK is or is not....as long as he WINS.....

All I care about is winning....JUST WIN .... everything else is second

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
if dak fears the little pressure he gets now, he would have crapped his white pants back in the 70's when they could plant a qb in the ground. Only "it" factor he would have had would have been in his shorts. So now Dak lovers are smarter and know more football that legend qb's. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::muttley::muttley::muttley::facepalm::facepalm:

I wish Tim Tebow would have had a good quarterback coach and a better scheme. He's a great guy who only need a quarterback guru to fix his throwing motion.:D He had "it" too, he is a winner.

I usually stay out of these Dak arguments, but the Tim Tebow stuff is taking it a little too far. Tebow couldn't even throw a semblance of a spiral more than half the time. He often had games where he was like 5 of 19 for 50 yards.

Dak has never been that bad. I understand he's never going to be a fantastic pure passer, but he's over 68 percent this season alone, and the dinking and dunking ended after Cooper got here.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
What concerns me more than his accuracy is, his "glitch". I read you can't fix the glitch. I guess he can do like he does now, panic, run backward and usually into the defensive player for a loss that takes the team out of field goal range.