Video: Troy Aikman on accuracy: You either have it or you don't

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Aikman was deadly accurate on the short to medium routes. He was not as accurate on the deep balls. I watched him from the day he was drafted. He was not an excellent deep ball passer. His strength was his leadership. He commanded that team like Brady commands his team. Kind of like Dak commands the Cowboys.
Autocorrect got me in that post. I meant to say those outs to Irvin. Those deep outs were a litmus test of a QB'S passing skills and Aikman was among the best at those.

He was also willing to stand in the pocket and take the hit in order to make the play.

Those qualities don't show up in the stats which is one of the reasons you can't compare QB's by just looking at the numbers.

Reading these youngsters writing off Aikman as a bus driver is sad. He deserves all the accolades he has received and was an integral part of those teams.

Completion percentage be damned.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Aikman was deadly accurate on the short to medium routes. He was not as accurate on the deep balls. I watched him from the day he was drafted. He was not an excellent deep ball passer. His strength was his leadership. He commanded that team like Brady commands his team. Kind of like Dak commands the Cowboys.
Has there ever been a QB who was just as accurate on deep balls as they are on short to medium routes? There is a reason why deep passing completion %’s falls drastically and are low % plays.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Autocorrect got me in that post. I meant to say those outs to Irvin. Those deep outs were a litmus test of a QB'S passing skills and Aikman was among the best at those.

He was also willing to stand in the pocket and take the hit in order to make the play.

Those qualities don't show up in the stats which is one of the reasons you can't compare QB's by just looking at the numbers.

Reading these youngsters writing off Aikman as a bus driver is sad. He deserves all the accolades he has received and was an integral part of those teams.

Completion percentage be damned.
Aikman was the #1 overall pick .... he was supposed to be good.... you are giving him extra credit for the same stuff you disregard in Dak....toughness, leadership only Dak also adds mobility and rushing TDs

Aikman was tough because he had to be ......he was a statue back there and got drilled

You still can't just gloss over his deficiencies.... he was not a prolific passer and wasn't accurate... and dumped off plenty to Emmitt and Novacek

I loved Aikman but his holier than thou attitude with Dak is annoying and hypocritical...Troy's first 3 years he had 31 TDs and 46 INTs

We just elevate Troy because of the rings and he deserves the credit he gets for those but that is not the conversation we are having

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Aikman was the #1 overall pick .... he was supposed to be good.... you are giving him extra credit for the same stuff you disregard in Dak....toughness, leadership only Dak also adds mobility and rushing TDs

Aikman was tough because he had to be ......he was a statue back there and got drilled

You still can't just gloss over his deficiencies.... he was not a prolific passer and wasn't accurate... and dumped off plenty to Emmitt and Novacek

I loved Aikman but his holier than thou attitude with Dak is annoying and hypocritical...Troy's first 3 years he had 31 TDs and 46 INTs

We just elevate Troy because of the rings and he deserves the credit he gets for those but that is not the conversation we are having
Das played with the best OL in football his first year. probably an all time best. he had Zeke a HOF type QB in the backfield getting over 2000 yards. he had Des, Witten his first couple of years and basically ran Dez out of the league because he couldn't throw any accurate passes. Aikman's first year he had probably some of the worst ever talent on that cowboys team. do you want to put Dak on that team and see what happens? seriously dude. you are grasping at straws

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don't agree with Troy.

He gets a little too puffy at times.

I played a lot of competitive golf in high school and college.

Played for Billy Martindale at SMU as their coach.

Don January also was there.

One thing I learned from them was how to gauge your game.

Someday you rip the cover off it and go for the flag.

Other days..off days..

where you were not striking the ball well..

You underclub yourself and focus on chipping and putting to score.

If it gets better during the round..

you can go for it more aware of the risks.

This is what I see in DAK more or less.

He starts out conservative..

then goes deep..

then throttles back until he has to take a chance.

Some might call this bus driving.

It's called game management.

You have to learn to play within yourself.

DAK is learning.

We get to clap.

fair enough. but to use your own analogy, if you are always under clubbing it, then you probably don't have the right skills.....you are good. but not great. great players, are able to drive and rip it more often than not. bad days are far and few in between, not the norm.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
fair enough. but to use your own analogy, if you are always under clubbing it, then you probably don't have the right skills.....you are good. but not great. great players, are able to drive and rip it more often than not. bad days are far and few in between, not the norm.
Underclubbing is not lack of skill.

If you deliberately understick it..

what you are doing is taking a full swing at the ball and placing the ball.

I guess you do not play competitively.

Scoring is what is important..

Not dropping shots is as important as aggressively attacking.

My point is..

You have to pick your spots and work towards scoring.

Same with DAK.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Das played with the best OL in football his first year. probably an all time best. he had Zeke a HOF type QB in the backfield getting over 2000 yards. he had Des, Witten his first couple of years and basically ran Dez out of the league because he couldn't throw any accurate passes. Aikman's first year he had probably some of the worst ever talent on that cowboys team. do you want to put Dak on that team and see what happens? seriously dude. you are grasping at straws
He had Walker, but you can't build a team off one RB......unless you trade him to the Vikings for a bunch of draft picks.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Underclubbing is not lack of skill.

If you deliberately understick it..

what you are doing is taking a full swing at the ball and placing the ball.

I guess you do not play competitively.

Scoring is what is important..

Not dropping shots is as important as aggressively attacking.

My point is..

You have to pick your spots and work towards scoring.

Same with DAK.
What CFH is saying is that Dak is too often under clubbing because he lacks the confidence to grip it 'n' rip it. To further this analogy, too many of his sacks are on par with me, when I hit into the woods. Rather than pick it up and lose a shot (throw the ball away), I usually try for the miracle shot out of the trees. (holding the ball, waiting for someone to get wide open) We both usually end up in a worse position than where we started.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Take away the rings, keep his career stats, and he doesnt sniff the HOF is all I'm saying.
That makes zero sense. Aikman was lights out in the postseason. He raised his level of play. His best performances were in the biggest games.

Why must fans play the "If" game to discredit a player?

Last edited:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Has there ever been a QB who was just as accurate on deep balls as they are on short to medium routes? There is a reason why deep passing completion %’s falls drastically and are low % plays.
This is true and the notion that Aikman wasn't accurate on deep passes is just false. Specifically in the postseason.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
What CFH is saying is that Dak is too often under clubbing because he lacks the confidence to grip it 'n' rip it. To further this analogy, too many of his sacks are on par with me, when I hit into the woods. Rather than pick it up and lose a shot (throw the ball away), I usually try for the miracle shot out of the trees. (holding the ball, waiting for someone to get wide open) We both usually end up in a worse position than where we started.
Haha..

The woods.

Yes.

Miracle shots are always that creative juice if they work.

I understand the points.

What I always feared was the ponds.

Played alot in Florida with water mockasins and alligators.

Hated that and never looked for a water ball because of it.

Thanx for the exchange.

Golf season here in Texas in about 2 months.

:flagwave:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
We are talking Aikman's first 3 years... that is all Dak has to go on

Troy had HWalker, Emmitt Smith, Mike Irvin, Moose and Jay Novacek.... enough with the lack of talent BS.... those are HoFers and all time greats at RB, WR, FB and TE

Quit making excuses..... for the first 3 years Dak has been much much much better than 1st overall pick Troy Aikman and Aikman needs to **** about Dak

charleshaleyfan94

Reaction score
Aikman, Brees & Maholmes (to me, as well as unbelievable Houdini genes) have been given great God-given talents of accuracy. What a gift!!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don’t hardly ever respond to you so not sure where this is coming from. I guess since you obviously lost the debate you must attack. I guess that’s you.

Trying to leave this place, but you keep pulling me back in. It's like a labyrinth in here. It's actually diabolical, who would have thunk it? Sure, it's easy to get in your head but once there, it's really hard to get out.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Do you realize in terms of in-game accuracy as far as what counts as a stat, Dak actually is more accurate?

The problem is, for those analyzing with their eyes only, is Dak is a little more susceptible to errant throws, at times, that should be easy throws.

Those stick out in your mind .

Scientifically speaking and from an evidential standpoint that is. Those stick out more even though we pass more nowadays and because we forget bad plays over time .

But theyre happening at a less frequency, actually.

When you pass so frequently it's bound to happen.

..and fans forget bad plays by players they love and forget plays and bad throws over time...

That's what your eyes are seeing and what you are remembering to form your analysis.

Eyes can be deceiving and our biases influence to deny facts.

That's what you're doing here in order to suit your argument.

If we are making a fair comparison, i.e., their first three years only, Dak is in fact more accurate in terms of what counts in the stat column.

XD Geez comparing accuracy in two different eras of football, where now you can barely even touch a quarterback or receiver...