Video: Troy Aikman on accuracy: You either have it or you don't

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
:clap:
The sad part of this is that we could have seen a repeat of the 2016 team. When teams didn't know much about Dak, he was completing downfield passes. They couldn't sack the line because we'd make them pay.
Teams don't fear Dak so they play the run.
We should be killing teams if Dak would simply pull the trigger and deliver the ball accurately, especially with this defense.
I fear we're going to waste another opportunity. We have the defense. We have the running game. We have an elite receiver and even a rookie who has shown he can get open deep.
We just don't have the quarterback who can take advantage of it.

After the 2016 season, when I was sold on Dak, I wanted the cowboys to draft John Ross, so that we would have our Triplets again. After 2017, when concerns about Dak's accuracy started to seep into me, and I was hoping he could improve that during the offseason, I wanted the cowboys to draft Calvin Ridley, because I had dreams of the Triplets again. Now, I don't think Dak is good enough to be part of a Triplet set. I think we have a lot of talent on the Team, but unfortunately the Quarterback spot is a point of weakness. And yeah, Dak isn't going anywhere soon, so he has all of next year, still, to prove me wrong. We have Dak, Zeek, and Coop. But who thinks that, that set is a triplet set? Why not? Dak?

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
The reason why the law of diminishing returns is a poor example is that nothing remains constant while only one thing changes. You should know this.
I think you are focusing too much into the one thing, where as even in a factory where the example would be used, more than one thing could change. What the law is saying, plain and simple, is that if you increase carries for Zeek, then eventually there is a point where YPC will starts to decrease. Sure you have several other varaibles involved, but those variables turn out to be negligible in the short term, the season, when it comes to effecting Zeeks YPC average. The big variable that changed from 2016 to 2018 is that defenses aren't worried as much about Dak and focus in on Zeek. So that explains why Zeek had better YPC in 2016 vs 2018. The law of diminishing returns still applies to 2016 too, where zeek could've had even better YPC then but the Dak variable was different that year than it is now. Other variables that will eventaully figure into the equation that will give you a different result for a different year would be age/wear-and-tear. Your mistake is you are comparing two different years which have completely different environments that Zeek finds himself in.

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
Both those guys did have league leading defenses as well. Not to take anything away from their greatness, but just saying. Dak has a good defense, but not on the level of the Steel Curtain or the Cowboys early 90s group.
Top 5 defense. They aren't even talking about the defense here. They are validated what a lot of us have been saying. What do they know though, right? They only have 7 rings between the 2 of them...

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I think you are focusing too much into the one thing, where as even in a factory where the example would be used, more than one thing could change. What the law is saying, plain and simple, is that if you increase carries for Zeek, then eventually there is a point where YPC will starts to decrease. Sure you have several other varaibles involved, but those variables turn out to be negligible in the short term, the season, when it comes to effecting Zeeks YPC average. The big variable that changed from 2016 to 2018 is that defenses aren't worried as much about Dak and focus in on Zeek. So that explains why Zeek had better YPC in 2016 vs 2018. The law of diminishing returns still applies to 2016 too, where zeek could've had even better YPC then but the Dak variable was different that year than it is now. Other variables that will eventaully figure into the equation that will give you a different result for a different year would be age/wear-and-tear. Your mistake is you are comparing two different years which have completely different environments that Zeek finds himself in.
No, your mistake is you are trying to apply the law of diminishing returns to YPC. It's idiotic. The worst thing about it is you actually believe what you are typing. I mean, you're not even trying to joke about how silly it is.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
This take by Aikman is pretty weak.

You can improve on accuracy in this league. Ask Romo how much his accuracy improved as he got older.

I think that Romo was always accurate, but he would gamble to try and force a win, which often times cost him the game. And though Romo will never live up to his role model in greatness Favre, it is who he modeled himself after. Would we say that Favre was inaccurate, or that he gambled a lot, for a better example?

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
No, your mistake is you are trying to apply the law of diminishing returns to YPC. It's idiotic. The worst thing about it is you actually believe what you are typing. I mean, you're not even trying to joke about how silly it is.

Why would Yards per Carry be different from Potato Chips per Hour as a unit of production? The same principles apply. XD you saying it can't apply to sports? XD https://www.nytimes.com/1999/01/19/health/law-of-diminishing-returns-for-athletes.html

robjay04

Reaction score
I think that Romo was always accurate, but he would gamble to try and force a win, which often times cost him the game. And though Romo will never live up to his role model in greatness Favre, it is who he modeled himself after. Would we say that Favre was inaccurate, or that he gambled a lot, for a better example?

Romo himself said that he worked on his throwing technique. Prior to the 2014 season, he perfected something(I don’t think he goes into too many details).

I thought got more accurate as he got older. The 2014 Romo was on point with almost everything he threw. He especially improved in the mid range game(where Dak needs to improve as well).

There’s always ways a QB can improve. You don’t just have it or don’t have it..you have to earn it and continue to get better. Sometimes it’s just footwork or a specific throwing mechanic you can improve on.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Romo himself said that he worked on his throwing technique. Prior to the 2014 season, he perfected something(I don’t think he goes into too many details).

I thought got more accurate as he got older. The 2014 Romo was on point with almost everything he threw. He especially improved in the mid range game(where Dak needs to improve as well).

There’s always ways a QB can improve. You don’t just have it or don’t have it..you have to earn it and continue to get better. Sometimes it’s just footwork or a specific throwing mechanic you can improve on.

Perhaps, but romo was never terribly inaccurate to begin with. Early on it was a lot of poor decisions, since he modeled himself after Favre. There is a psychological aspect, I think, where when you get thrown into the NFL when you are not ready, that when you get thrown in early it has such a negative impact on your that you don't tend to improve. I've seen good quarterbacks improve their games, but I don't know of any bad quarterbacks who became good.

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I know. It's awful that all Dak does is win. Aikman was 1-1 in the playoffs after 3 seasons. Let's see where Dak is after these playoffs.
No he wasnt. Buerlein started the Playoff games in 1991. Troy was 7-0 before the loss to SF in 1994.

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
What purpose would any long time Cowboys fans have for "hating" a player on their team? Every single critic wants Dak and anyone else in uniform to succeed. I watch each game hoping to see Dak "break-out" and make me believe he can lead this team when everything else around him breaks down. The QB needs to be the most important and indispensable player on any team. Otherwise, we're just hoping for an outlier of a year where a Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer type wins the SB. That won't cut it and not for the money the QB position will demand in today's NFL.
:clap:

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
I've already explained. You can't keep the other factors constant. Do you need some examples? Quality of opponents, injuries, adjustments, score of the game, etc.
If you are saying that increasing the number of carries at some point doesn't decrease your Yards Per Carry. Well that just doesn't seem very logical in the grand scheme of things. Sure there are other variables, but in the grand scheme most of those are negligible in that they won't stop there being some point on the graph where YPC will start to decrease. The variables might change the coordinates of that point, but at some point more carries will still result in YPC decreasing. That's just how things work, which is why it is a law.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
At 2:29 in the video they show Dak taking warm-ups. There is a man behind him in a suit and tie.

Was that Danny White?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
If you are saying that increasing the number of carries at some point doesn't decrease your Yards Per Carry. Well that just doesn't seem very logical in the grand scheme of things. Sure there are other variables, but in the grand scheme most of those are negligible in that they won't stop there being some point on the graph where YPC will start to decrease. The variables might change the coordinates of that point, but at some point more carries will still result in YPC decreasing. That's just how things work, which is why it is a law.
It can go either way depending upon a number of factors.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
It can go either way depending upon a number of factors.

no it can't. YPC will eventually diminish because, eventually you reach the point where the running back suffers from exhaustion and mental fatigue. The law still holds. The only thing that external variables will do is effect at what coordinates on the graph that you will start having YPC decrease. But it is pretty much law, that at some points a Running Back's YPC will start to decrease when you increase carries. The football field is a production environment just like afactory or an office where the law is used.

shabazz

Reaction score
I know. It's awful that all Dak does is win. Aikman was 1-1 in the playoffs after 3 seasons. Let's see where Dak is after these playoffs.

Yeah, these 2 QBs are like carbon copies of each other, like that were separated at birth

It’s uncanny how their skill sets are so unbelievably similar

Good call on that one.