Video: Troy Aikman on accuracy: You either have it or you don't

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If you don’t know I suggest you check the dictionary.

Let me help you out. Not in the context of a patron, it means to basically be nice while being superior. That's actually what it means now I ask you again, what do you think it means?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Let me help you out. Not in the context of a patron, it means to basically be nice while being superior. That's actually what it means now I ask you again, what do you think it means?
I’ll help you out, “Treat with an apparent kindness that betrays a feeling of superiority.“
Which is exactly what you did.

hopemsu

Reaction score
so in your opinion, all the scouts prior to the draft were wrong. all the coaches were wrong. all the GMs were wrong. all former players were wrong. all media was wrong about aikman. all of those who voted him in HOF and lived around football all their life were wrong. . but PFR is right, based on what? oh, yeah I forgot. it fits your agenda and narrative. :omg:

Take away the rings, keep his career stats, and he doesnt sniff the HOF is all I'm saying.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I’ll help you out, “Treat with an apparent kindness that betrays a feeling of superiority.“
Which is exactly what you did.

Well, In your opinion, that's what you think happened but you see you are colored by my opinion of you. To you, I would never be patronizing to you because I don't have enough respect for you or your opinions. But for this person, I don't know him well enough to have any type of opinion like that so it was actually an honest question.

However, I am happy to know that you automatically go to the worst on that. It means that I'm living in your head rent free. No worries though, this place is empty, dusty and kinda boring. I probably won't be here long.

You have a good weekend.

;)

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Take away the rings, keep his career stats, and he doesnt sniff the HOF is all I'm saying.
give dak some accuracy, teach him to read defenses, have him learn to throw with anticipation, he will be a top notch QB.

you can't take away something that's already there. take away tom brady's rings and he is an average QB. give tony room a ring and he is a HOF QB, you are just spinning things and creating a story, a fantasy. you can't take away facts.

Dodger12

Reaction score
This is kinda the problem with not really understanding how the game has changed.

This season, the average Pass Completion percentage across the league is 65%. I believe Dak is somewhere in the area of 68% this year so he's a bit better then league average, which is good.

When Aikman came into the league, averages were much lower. In Aikmans Rookie Year, the league passing average was a little under 56%. In 91, Aikmans third season, it was 57%. Aikmans Completion Percentage that year was over 65%. He was very accurate, especially for that period of Football.

I believe I read (and posted) earlier that 30 out of 33 QB's in 2018 have completion percentages about 60%. The game has changed and the fact that QB's played in a different area has to be factored into any equation when comparing them to today's QB's. Even Staubach only had better than a 60% completion percentage only one time in his HoF career.

I mentioned this earlier but I believe it's worth repeating: In 17 years, Dan Marino, one of the greatest statistical QB's of all time, "only" had better than a 60% completion percentage 5 times; in 16 years, John Elway had better than a 60% completion percentage 3 times. In 15 years, Dan Fouts had better than a 60% completion percentage 5 times. In 11 years, Roger Staubauch had better than a 60% completion percentage 1 time. In 11 years, Jim Kelly had better than a 60% completion percentage 4 times. In 14 years, Terry Bradshaw never had a season where completed more than 60% of his passes. And all those guys are Hall of Fame QB's.

About the only exception(s) were QB's who played in a West Coast offense that favored short passes. The fact that Aikman was anywhere near 70% for the was utterly unheard of in that day. He was one of the most accurate QB's to ever play the game. That's not even debatable.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Well, In your opinion, that's what you think happened but you see you are colored by my opinion of you. To you, I would never be patronizing to you because I don't have enough respect for you or your opinions. But for this person, I don't know him well enough to have any type of opinion like that so it was actually an honest question.

However, I am happy to know that you automatically go to the worst on that. It means that I'm living in your head rent free. No worries though, this place is empty, dusty and kinda boring. I probably won't be here long.

You have a good weekend.

;)
Everything that doesn't come out of the FO or Cowboys sponsored media this guy goes to the worst on. Everyone is in his head rent free it has to be crowded.

hopemsu

Reaction score
give dak some accuracy, teach him to read defenses, have him learn to throw with anticipation, he will be a top notch QB.

you can't take away something that's already there. take away tom brady's rings and he is an average QB. give tony room a ring and he is a HOF QB, you are just spinning things and creating a story, a fantasy. you can't take away facts.

Tom Brady has HOF numbers, by far, even if you take away his rings. Troy’s stats absolutely don’t standout if he hadn’t helped win 3 SB

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

You have a good weekend.

;)
I don’t hardly ever respond to you so not sure where this is coming from. I guess since you obviously lost the debate you must attack. I guess that’s you.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

I don't agree with Troy.

He gets a little too puffy at times.

I played a lot of competitive golf in high school and college.

Played for Billy Martindale at SMU as their coach.

Don January also was there.

One thing I learned from them was how to gauge your game.

Someday you rip the cover off it and go for the flag.

Other days..off days..

where you were not striking the ball well..

You underclub yourself and focus on chipping and putting to score.

If it gets better during the round..

you can go for it more aware of the risks.

This is what I see in DAK more or less.

He starts out conservative..

then goes deep..

then throttles back until he has to take a chance.

Some might call this bus driving.

It's called game management.

You have to learn to play within yourself.

DAK is learning.

We get to clap.

BleedinBlue

Reaction score
How about we take away Aikman's SB but put him on another team like the Bills. A team that doesn't have the all time rusher. Or another pass happy team. Does he make the HOF , does he win a SB.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
This is kinda the problem with not really understanding how the game has changed.

This season, the average Pass Completion percentage across the league is 65%. I believe Dak is somewhere in the area of 68% this year so he's a bit better then league average, which is good.

When Aikman came into the league, averages were much lower. In Aikmans Rookie Year, the league passing average was a little under 56%. In 91, Aikmans third season, it was 57%. Aikmans Completion Percentage that year was over 65%. He was very accurate, especially for that period of Football.
Anyone who watched him complete those outstanding to Irvin wouldn't dare say he wasn't very accurate.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Simple math is hard for you I see
Short passes are easier to complete than longer passes. Passes that are caught could often be thrown more accurately to enable a better overall play.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
yes, he is only HOF due to being on 3 SB teams. Very similar to Terry Bradshaw.

Saying those two are greats, we also have to say Eli Manning is one of the greats. Actually he would be both Aikman's and Bradshaw's daddy. He has 358TD to 238 interceptions.

When i googled "players that shouldn't be in the HOF" Guess who #1 was that came up:

1. TROY AIKMAN

Yeah, I said it. Zero All-Pro teams. Five of 12 seasons at .500 or below. Barely more touchdown passes (165) than interceptions (141). His approximate value on pro-football-reference ranks No. 167 overall, behind Warrick Dunn, Ricky Watters, Steve McMichael, Henry Ellard, Randall Cunningham, Boomer Esiason, Drew Bledsoe, London Fletcher, Dave Krieg, Donovan McNabb and so many other ridiculous names. Brad Johnson has more touchdown passes as does Jon Kitna, Chris Chandler and Jim Everett and, well, so many other ridiculous names. His passer rating is 49th in league history. He has three Super Bowls? Great. That’s one more than Eli Manning. Aikman was a fine NFL quarterback. He was a very fine NFL quarterback. At points he was a superb NFL quarterback. He was not a Hall of Fame quarterback.
Well then, somebody accidentally put his bust in the HoF.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

You have a good weekend.

;)

All this over the question "How old are you?" :huh:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I don't agree with Troy.

He gets a little too puffy at times.

I played a lot of competitive golf in high school and college.

Played for Billy Martindale at SMU as their coach.

Don January also was there.

One thing I learned from them was how to gauge your game.

Someday you rip the cover off it and go for the flag.

Other days..off days..

where you were not striking the ball well..

You underclub yourself and focus on chipping and putting to score.

If it gets better during the round..

you can go for it more aware of the risks.

This is what I see in DAK more or less.

He starts out conservative..

then goes deep..

then throttles back until he has to take a chance.

Some might call this bus driving.

It's called game management.

You have to learn to play within yourself.

DAK is learning.

We get to clap.

That’s a great analogy Red

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Anyone who watched him complete those outstanding to Irvin wouldn't dare say he wasn't very accurate.
Aikman was deadly accurate on the short to medium routes. He was not as accurate on the deep balls. I watched him from the day he was drafted. He was not an excellent deep ball passer. His strength was his leadership. He commanded that team like Brady commands his team. Kind of like Dak commands the Cowboys.