Video: Troy Aikman on accuracy: You either have it or you don't

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Well, to be fair, I'm not certain how old Nightman is or if he was a Cowboy Fan, watching the games back when Troy was a Rookie. I mean, if you didn't actually see that team, it's hard to understand just how bad it was. They were terrible. You look at the numbers and you say to yourself, I don't get it. Dak's numbers compare very favorably but what you can't understand, unless you were watching is how much better this team is then that one in 89. Also, just how different the game was. Passing game then was for real. You didn't do the same stuff then as now. You didn't run the same routes and you didn't have the relative freedom to just not worry about getting hit. In those days, WRs just didn't run certain routes and QBs, they got hit on every play and not just pushed to the ground like you see today. They got hit.

It's just different now. I honestly hate comparing players from different eras. It's not fair to the players.
I agree.
I mentioned Aikman literally got destroyed his rookie year.
But I didn't raise the comparison. Dak supporters are reaching for stats to rationalize that he's good, even digging deep into the past to say Dak is on some level with Aikman.
And they just look at stats, not understanding how to interpret them.
If Dak had to play on that 89 team, he wouldn't have had the rookie year he did in 2016.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I have watched more Cowboys than you have I'm sure.... I am just honest about the 90s

So you did watch him play in his rookie year or you didn't. Also, lets don't get crazy here. I can tell, just by what you post that you haven't watched more football. You don't understand how the game was played then and it's clear by what you post. How old are you?

Last edited:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I see Michael Irvin, H Walker, Kelvin Martin

then Emmitt Smith, Jay Novacek, AHarper and Moose

lack of talent is another excuse......just like the game is different excuse

Irvin was hurt Aikman's first two years. Aikman himself was hurt.
Novacek joined the Cowboys in Aikman's third year.
Aikman made Alvin Harper's career. He was subpar after he left the Cowboys.
Kelvin Martin was a jag, Beasley-lit.
The offensive line didn't really gel until Emmitt joined the Cowboys in Aikman's second year, another year Aikman didn't finish because of injury.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Don't patronize me

Answer the question. Don't get your feelings hurt because I asked it. Say the truth, there is nothing wrong with that. That's how you learn and I'll tell you right now, anybody who doesn't think they can learn is a fool. There is nothing wrong with that. Learning is one of the truly great skills human beings have and it's one of the most enjoyable things in life.

hopemsu

Reaction score
yes, he is only HOF due to being on 3 SB teams. Very similar to Terry Bradshaw.

Saying those two are greats, we also have to say Eli Manning is one of the greats. Actually he would be both Aikman's and Bradshaw's daddy. He has 358TD to 238 interceptions.

When i googled "players that shouldn't be in the HOF" Guess who #1 was that came up:

1. TROY AIKMAN

Yeah, I said it. Zero All-Pro teams. Five of 12 seasons at .500 or below. Barely more touchdown passes (165) than interceptions (141). His approximate value on pro-football-reference ranks No. 167 overall, behind Warrick Dunn, Ricky Watters, Steve McMichael, Henry Ellard, Randall Cunningham, Boomer Esiason, Drew Bledsoe, London Fletcher, Dave Krieg, Donovan McNabb and so many other ridiculous names. Brad Johnson has more touchdown passes as does Jon Kitna, Chris Chandler and Jim Everett and, well, so many other ridiculous names. His passer rating is 49th in league history. He has three Super Bowls? Great. That’s one more than Eli Manning. Aikman was a fine NFL quarterback. He was a very fine NFL quarterback. At points he was a superb NFL quarterback. He was not a Hall of Fame quarterback.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Did you seriously just write that Dak is more accurate than Aikman while laughing at the proposition that he isn't?

This is kinda the problem with not really understanding how the game has changed.

This season, the average Pass Completion percentage across the league is 65%. I believe Dak is somewhere in the area of 68% this year so he's a bit better then league average, which is good.

When Aikman came into the league, averages were much lower. In Aikmans Rookie Year, the league passing average was a little under 56%. In 91, Aikmans third season, it was 57%. Aikmans Completion Percentage that year was over 65%. He was very accurate, especially for that period of Football.

cern

Reaction score
Athletically, Lynch is at the very top of the scale for what you want at the position. I mean, I can't speak for his head but the physical is off the charts.
So are most navy seals. Doesn't make them qb's.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Saying those two are greats, we also have to say Eli Manning is one of the greats. Actually he would be both Aikman's and Bradshaw's daddy. He has 358TD to 238 interceptions.

When i googled "players that shouldn't be in the HOF" Guess who #1 was that came up:

1. TROY AIKMAN

Yeah, I said it. Zero All-Pro teams. Five of 12 seasons at .500 or below. Barely more touchdown passes (165) than interceptions (141). His approximate value on pro-football-reference ranks No. 167 overall, behind Warrick Dunn, Ricky Watters, Steve McMichael, Henry Ellard, Randall Cunningham, Boomer Esiason, Drew Bledsoe, London Fletcher, Dave Krieg, Donovan McNabb and so many other ridiculous names. Brad Johnson has more touchdown passes as does Jon Kitna, Chris Chandler and Jim Everett and, well, so many other ridiculous names. His passer rating is 49th in league history. He has three Super Bowls? Great. That’s one more than Eli Manning. Aikman was a fine NFL quarterback. He was a very fine NFL quarterback. At points he was a superb NFL quarterback. He was not a Hall of Fame quarterback.
so in your opinion, all the scouts prior to the draft were wrong. all the coaches were wrong. all the GMs were wrong. all former players were wrong. all media was wrong about aikman. all of those who voted him in HOF and lived around football all their life were wrong. . but PFR is right, based on what? oh, yeah I forgot. it fits your agenda and narrative. :omg:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
So are most navy seals. Doesn't make them qb's.

LOL.... No. Most Navy Seals do not have the physical skills to be prototype QBs in the NFL. They actually are better suited mentally, to be honest.

To your point, we don't know if Lynch will be a succesful QB or not yet. I don't think he is in a great situation in Denver. He may well do better elsewhere but then again, he may not. Hard to say.

aaev84

Reaction score

1. TROY AIKMAN

Troy Aikman was without question a HOF QB. He didnt need to put up gaudy passing numbers because he had the NFLs all-time leading rusher. Just go back and watch the cowboys 92-95. That was one hell of an efficient offense that could beat you even knowing what was coming.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

1. TROY AIKMAN

LOL........ This is funny. It's like saying, Einstein is only a genius because he's really smart. How many QBs, in the history of this game have ever won three Super Bowls?

There have only ever been 4 QBs in the history of the game to win 4 Super Bowls. All but one are in the HOF and that one guys bust is already cast and just waiting for somebody to pull the sheet off of it.

I guess if you didn't watch him play, you just can't really understand. Your profile says you are 41 but I can only guess that you were either not around to watch him or not a Cowboy Fan in those days. I'm just guessing though.