Troy Aikman on Dak

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Troy Aikman believes you cannot teach accuracy.

Troy is right, by the time you get to the NFL you either have accuracy or you don't. I cant remember a single QB that came into the league with poor accuracy and got significantly better with more playing time. Maybe it has happened, but I cant think of a single instance off the top of my head.

Dak is probably as accurate as he is ever going to get, that is just the reality of the situation.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I would defer to Aikman any time. But its also obvious. I get the impression Dak holds the ball and is indecisive because even he knows he is not accurate enough to squeeze a ball into a receiver who is covered. But its worse than that. Remember the Panthers game when he overthrew Gathers in the end zone. Gathers was wide open. He underthrew Blake Jarwin on another play. This week he overthrew Austin for what should have been a big play. In this league those plays make a difference between a in and a loss potentially. You get those opportunities only a few times a game so missing those throws is huge.

I also think Dak does miss what defenses are doing a lot. Those blitzes the Texans were running. I could see they were going to blitz on my TV but Dak ran plays right into the blitzes a few times. The old saying is the way to stop those blitzes is to burn the defense a couple of times. Dak doesn't. So Aikman is probably right about Dak's anticipation too.

My only question is, is it Dak or poor QB coaching?
You can'
Hahaha, what's that got to do with anything??? 59% completions percentage is still poor no matter what era you play in.

Once again, without his stud receivers in Irvin, Harper and Novacek, along with no longer the Great Wall of Dallas blocking for him, Troy sucked as a passer! Heck, he even missed 5 games in 1998 and 2000 due to injuries and concussions suffered because of such lack of talent around him, which eventually forced his retirement.
A lot easier to break up passes for the defense back then when the defender could blow up a wide receiver as soon as the ball got there. If defenders were allowed to do that today there would be a substantial drop in completion % across the board.

Praxit

Reaction score
simply put, Dak needs a better Qb coach. Dak will be on meds with the all BS people are throwing out there.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's the whiney Romo freaks as expected.
Don’t lump us all together . I was critical of Romo too but at least we weren’t a bottom feeder offense.

Let me guess all your hopes rest with Dak because you thought we finally had a QB greater than Romo?

Guess what. You were wrong. Thats ok I was excited about Dak in 2016 too. Many people were wrong. It happens. . Go with it or be left with a bigger mess moving forward with this dysfunctional franchise trying to surround him.

You want Dak to be successful. Let him go to another team .It’s not happening here. We couldn’t surround the Cowboys all time leading passer with enough support. But you think it’s going to happen with Dak? Ok then...

Sydla

Reaction score
The NFL since the salary cap has been watered down to give more teams opportunities to win SBs.

If the Cowboys put top talent in key spots (that are currently weaknesses)... to strengthen D, offense, and special teams... they can actually contend for SBs... and consistently beat today’s pass happy teams...like the 90s Cowboys did.

I.e., they should have built on 2016 with upgrades by fixing secondary and not downgrading receiving corps.

Well for starters, I am not sure what this has to do with my point that you and America's Cowboys are making silly points trying to bring Aikman's play into this debate.

They simply don't have a good enough QB to win a SB. Before this year, I would have thought the opposite, but as we see this season unfold, it's becoming obvious Dak just isn't a very good QB. He's making mistakes beyond who is playing WR for he Cowboys.

If the Cowboys cannot throw the ball in today's game, they simply will not win consistently. That's just a reality that you are seeing playing out right before your eyes. It's actually pretty easy to stifle a run game if you simply sell out against the run. And that's what teams are doing because they simply don't fear Prescott will burn them.

zerofill

Reaction score
A lot easier to break up passes for the defense back then when the defender could blow up a wide receiver as soon as the ball got there. If defenders were allowed to do that today there would be a substantial drop in completion % across the board.

QBs from back then, came into the league today it would be like Christmas to them lol.

Legend

Reaction score
What did Troy do without them and without the stud Oline of the mid 90s?
The defending SB Cowboys offense struggled mightily when Emmitt held out the first 2 games of the 1993 season.

Dak has Zeke and needs Irvin, Harper, and Novacek type players.

I do not want to rely only on the QB to have success. I want to include the receiving corps, OL, RB, defense, and ST.

Sydla

Reaction score
How did Troy look during his last 4 years? Hmm? I even posted a graph showing his yearly career stats. Do you remember how bad Troy performed during those last 4 seasons and why?

You overstate how bad he was. For example, in 1998, he was the 8th highest ranked passer in football.

You are making the stupid mistake of just looking at raw stats, comparing them to Dak's and making the conclusions that he was no better than Dak. It's a stupid analysis because it lacks context.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Yup. It seems people here are having a hard time with people who supported Dak at one time, like Sturm, Aikman, CZ posters, etc... but after a couple more seasons of faltering play, adjust their opinions. What a concept!

Heavens forbid everyone wasn't the one to point out Dak's shortcoming year 1. Yes, there were posters here doing so, good on them. Here's their ******* cookie.

For others, we waited, and have now seen enough. We all ended up to the eventual conclusion (other than the few who still think Dak is a franchise QB) that Dak isn't the guy. Some were there sooner than others. So here's a pat on the *** to those who must remind everyone "I was saying it since day 1"

We'll said Trouty.

That's exactly where I was at. In fact, I said many times this off-season heading into this year that I'm giving Dak this entire 2018 to prove himself because I saw so many red flags in 2017. However, his play this season this far has been so poor I'm ready to pull the plug.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
IMO it can be a combination of things. Dak is hearing footsteps more than he should, which throws off his mechanics and rushes his reads. The coaching and scheme should help cover some of that but it isn't.

All of it can be worked out, no one should be running Dak out of town but of course they will.

It's a bad combo of a guy who isn't mechanically sound, and inept coaching and scheming.