Troy Aikman on Dak

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Troy isn’t taking everything into account, like you are, in this pass happy era where DBs can’t even breathe on a QB or WR? And that too with one of the most accurate passers to ever play the gane..

No your making excuses for Dak now and you insulted a Cowboy legend for a scrub who can’t hit the broad side of a barn unless its five feet away from him and loses to David Carr in a passing accuracy game..
You're just whining like a spoiled brat who gets told he can't have any candy at the grocery store.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Yup. It seems people here are having a hard time with people who supported Dak at one time, like Sturm, Aikman, CZ posters, etc... but after a couple more seasons of faltering play, adjust their opinions. What a concept!

Heavens forbid everyone wasn't the one to point out Dak's shortcoming year 1. Yes, there were posters here doing so, good on them. Here's their ******* cookie.

For others, we waited, and have now seen enough. We all ended up to the eventual conclusion (other than the few who still think Dak is a franchise QB) that Dak isn't the guy. Some were there sooner than others. So here's a pat on the *** to those who must remind everyone "I was saying it since day 1"
Well put. Give the guy a chance, see what happens, and modify your opinion as new information come in. Some had absolutely no desire to do that whatsoever and were going to criticize Dak regardless for payback of how Romo was treated. A few even admitted that's what they were going to do.

khiladi

Reaction score
You're just whining like a spoiled brat who gets told he can't have any candy at the grocery store.

No, your just delusional about Dak and your hypocrisy is clearly showing. In just a matter of a week, Aikman is no longer an authority on QB play, because he criticized your boy Dak.. it’s embarassing

What did Michael Irvin and Jay Novacek do before Troy?

HonoluluCowboy

Reaction score
Troy should be careful! His accuracy was much worse than Dak's during his last few years with no Michael Irvin, Alvin Harper and Jay Novachek around to throw to, along with Troy being under constant pressure and even suffering a couple of concussions (which forced his retirement) due to poor pass protecting Olines! How quickly he and everyone else forgets!!!!

Need some proof??? Here you go...

PNIMASb.jpg

Aikman's last 4 years' passing accuracy seriously dropped once he lost his stud receivers, TE and Oline. He was constantly under pressure and having to throw to JAGS behind a porous Oline.

Look at Troy's accuracy per year. His last 4 year's were pretty bad (1997: 56.4% completions; 1998: 59.4%; 1999: 59.5%; 2000: 59.5%). Horrible when compared to his 1991 - 1996 years when he had Irvin, Harper, Novachek and The Great Wall of Dallas blocking for him. Troy averaged close to 64% completions during those years. Coincidence??? I think not. Yet, many, including Troy forget.

Now who's being fair and taking all situations under account? :facepalm:

Its called Confidence in your QB .

Are you honestly saying if given a football game to win , you would take Dak over Aikman ?

LMAO !! ok dude

Sydla

Reaction score
Yes and Zeke rushed for 1,631 yards in 2016,as well.

I compare the eras because the only way the Cowboys are going to sniff the SB is to add talent in the key spots on offense and defense.

Drew Brees has only won 1 SB despite his passing stats.

Romo did not win a SB.

I do not care if today’s NFL is a passing league...

The way for the Cowboys to contend is to get stud WRs and TEs to team up with Zeke and strengthen the secondary. I put that team up against any passing QB and his team in the league.

The same way the 90s Cowboys went up against the 49ers, Bills, and Green Bay.

The Giants and their defense defeated the Pats twice and if not for bonehead play calling, Seattle and Atlanta should have defeated the Pats as well.

So the Pats Dynasty to me...is one that was not that dominant.

The Giants, Seahawks and Atlanta also had better QBs than Dak.

You seemingly missed that point.

zerofill

Reaction score

And you know it is a sad day when you have to say Eli is better then the QB of the most valuable franchise in sports, and America's Team lol.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
We get down by 2 TDs and I have no confidence Dak can lead us back. That's different than I had in 2016. Things change.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You aren't being fair and taking all situations into account. Because you are trying to compare two entirely different eras in football. The league is way more passing focused today than it was back in Aikman's days. Passing efficiency is way more important in today's game than it was back then.

For example, look at 1999. As you note, he had a completion percentage of 59.5%, which you note, is not very good. But in 1999, a 59.5% completion percentage was 9th in the NFL. In those days, in that era, 59.5% was more than acceptable completion percentage.

Guess where a 59.5% completion percentage would have ranked in 2017?

26th. Between Andy Dalton and Mitch Trubisky.

So frankly, your point here makes zero sense.
Hahaha, what's that got to do with anything??? 59% completions percentage is still poor no matter what era you play in.

Once again, without his stud receivers in Irvin, Harper and Novacek, along with no longer the Great Wall of Dallas blocking for him, Troy sucked as a passer! Heck, he even missed 5 games in 1998 and 2000 due to injuries and concussions suffered because of such lack of talent around him, which eventually forced his retirement.

whynot

Reaction score
The warning signs with Dak were there from the start, how can you trust a QB who doesn’t throw well in practice?

I’ve always found the defence that he was a “gamer” worrying. I get on hot streaks playing pool too but it doesn’t mean that I’m not rubbish at it in the long run. I think 2016 is an aberration explained by a young man riding high on confidence because he’s just walked into a dream job without really having to earn it.

As soon as that confidence was shaken he returned to earth and showed his true level of ability. The Atlanta game was always going to happen, you can’t be a professional at something without being under serious duress at some stage and questioning your abilities, it’s how you react that shows how capable you really are.

The Joneses wanted the world to believe that they’d outsmarted the league again like they had with Romo. Turns out Romo was just dumb luck and now they just look dumb.

Legend

Reaction score
You aren't being fair and taking all situations into account. Because you are trying to compare two entirely different eras in football. The league is way more passing focused today than it was back in Aikman's days. Passing efficiency is way more important in today's game than it was back then.

For example, look at 1999. As you note, he had a completion percentage of 59.5%, which you note, is not very good. But in 1999, a 59.5% completion percentage was 9th in the NFL. In those days, in that era, 59.5% was more than acceptable completion percentage.

Guess where a 59.5% completion percentage would have ranked in 2017?

26th. Between Andy Dalton and Mitch Trubisky.

So frankly, your point here makes zero sense.

The NFL since the salary cap has been watered down to give more teams opportunities to win SBs.

If the Cowboys put top talent in key spots (that are currently weaknesses)... to strengthen D, offense, and special teams... they can actually contend for SBs... and consistently beat today’s pass happy teams...like the 90s Cowboys did.

I.e., they should have built on 2016 with upgrades by fixing secondary and not downgrading receiving corps.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Well put. Give the guy a chance, see what happens, and modify your opinion as new information come in. Some had absolutely no desire to do that whatsoever and were going to criticize Dak regardless for payback of how Romo was treated. A few even admitted that's what they were going to do.
It's the whiney Romo freaks as expected.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
It's what I'm doing with Gregory, Avi. Gonna give him this season. See what he does. If he flounders (he just played his best game of the 2018 season), then I will circle around and admit I was wrong. But I will be patient with him, give him a full season of playing time, before I jump to a conclusion. If I am wrong, I am wrong. Whatevs.

Still have high hopes for 94. Cry me a river.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Its called Confidence in your QB .

Are you honestly saying if given a football game to win , you would take Dak over Aikman ?

LMAO !! ok dude
How did Troy look during his last 4 years? Hmm? I even posted a graph showing his yearly career stats. Do you remember how bad Troy performed during those last 4 seasons and why?

Legend

Reaction score

None of them have a better RB... Remember Emmitt was the core offensive player of the 90’s dynasty.

Only player at the time to win the league’s and SB MVP in the same season.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Troy Aikman believes you cannot teach accuracy.

Troy is CORRECT! A zillion years and a zillion coaches can tutor Dak to no avail....you either have it or you don't and Mr. Tostitos doesn't have it...............throw in the rest of his flaws you find yourself amazed how the heck this guy is starting for the no 1 Sports Franchise in the WORLD.....Hey inept Dak look on the bright side for a no 4 pick your worth around 10 million bucks today from endorsements now say Thank you to Jerry and don't let the door hit you in the @@@.....

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
No, your just delusional about Dak and your hypocrisy is clearly showing. In just a matter of a week, Aikman is no longer an authority on QB play, because he criticized your boy Dak.. it’s embarassing

What did Michael Irvin and Jay Novacek do before Troy?
What did Troy do without them and without the stud Oline of the mid 90s? I showed Troy's career graph for proof. What do you have? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Just a mouth. lol