News: Troy Aikman rips FOX Sports for hiring Skip Bayless

chicago JK

Reaction score
I was shocked too, adding Skip Bayless instantly downgraded the entire FOX sports team,,, and worse than that, he's an object of ridicule and embarrassment. Why the hell would you add someone like that?

I pay no attention to him either on his old show or his columns. I do not have time for guys who just say stuff to get attention.

ESPN actually wanted him back and I believe they offered more than the 4 plus million a year he got from Fox Sports. Sort of depressing he gets that type of dollars. Fox Sports 1 ratings are pretty dismal. I would be shocked if Bayless is the hire that moves that needle either.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Not surprising at all and totally understandable based on their history. BUT...WOW! Troy's words hit hard! “Clearly, [Fox Sports president of national networks] Jamie Horowitz and I have a difference of opinion when it comes to building a successful organization. I believe success is achieved by acquiring and developing talented, respected and credible individuals, none of which applies to Skip Bayless.”
Tell us how you feel Troy!
:clap::clap::clap:

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Aikman ripped FOX for hiring Skip Bayless away from ESPN and giving Bayless his own First Take knockoff show on FOX Sports 1. Aikman has disliked Bayless since the 1990s, when Bayless wrote a book about the Cowboys that included unsubstantiated rumors that Aikman is gay.

“To say I’m disappointed in the hiring of Skip Bayless would be an enormous understatement,” Aikman told Richard Deitsch of Sports Illustrated. “Clearly, [Fox Sports president of national networks] Jamie Horowitz and I have a difference of opinion when it comes to building a successful organization. I believe success is achieved by acquiring and developing talented, respected and credible individuals, none of which applies to Skip Bayless.”

Read more: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/06/troy-aikman-rips-fox-sports-for-hiring-skip-Bayless/
Love Troy.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Because he helped "First Take" generate ratings for ESPN, and FOX offered him more money to do the same thing with its network.

And Skip might be the object of ridicule with some, but he is the epitome of opinionated sports talk, which is now driving the ratings for failing satellite/cable networks.

And THAT is why they would add him, syphoning off some of ESPN's viewers in the process - which, in the competitive world of sports journalism, is never a bad thing.
The word "journalism" should probably be parenthesized when used in this context.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Because he helped "First Take" generate ratings for ESPN, and FOX offered him more money to do the same thing with its network.

And Skip might be the object of ridicule with some, but he is the epitome of opinionated sports talk, which is now driving the ratings for failing satellite/cable networks.

And THAT is why they would add him, syphoning off some of ESPN's viewers in the process - which, in the competitive world of sports journalism, is never a bad thing.

Producing shows like First Take instead of buying rights and broadcasting sports is why ESPN is hemorrhaging money. No idea why FOX wants to follow suit, but apparently they do.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The word"journalism" should probably be parenthesized when used in this context.

Fair enough. The world of sports journalism - and news, if you ask me - is more opinionated than ever. It appeals to conspiracy theorist and hyperbole just to create shock and to get clicks, ratings, listeners, viewers, etc.

I don't like it, which is one reason I got out of the business (or didn't re-enter on a full-time bases after being laid off - which was a blessing in disguise).

Nevertheless, I acknowledge this is what "journalism" has become and a fear for the future of our society.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith are, in my opinion, shock jocks for sports radio/tv.

Maybe they used to be journalists; maybe they used to really report; maybe someone knows more about them than I do, but ...

When was the last time either of them wrote a legitimate, sports newsworthy article that was news?
When was the last time either of them broke a story?
When was the last time either of them really reported on anything inside a locker room?

They are basically loud, abrasive guys who share and argue their opinions about everything sports related without actually reporting any news...as I see it. I respect them about as much as I do Howard Stern....entertaining at times, but I never actually learn anything.

Plankton

Reaction score
Producing shows like First Take instead of buying rights and broadcasting sports is why ESPN is hemorrhaging money. No idea why FOX wants to follow suit, but apparently they do.

Actually, it's the exact opposite.

They have locked up so many sports and events with long term deals at high dollar amounts that continue to incrementally grow that they can't make a profit off of it. This while making $500M per month on cable subscriber agreements.

Shows like First Take have minimal production costs, and are literally all profit as long as people watch. And, unfortunately, they do.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
I'd pay good money to see video if Troy and Skppy happened to be in the same room together..........because I have no doubt Troy would knock Skippy out cold!

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Troy already has taken too many blows to the head.

giphy.gif

1DSxPJw