Troy Aikman talks about Dak Prescott

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I’m saying you’re comparing QBs to Dak that had to carry their team vs Dak who has to have the team carry him.
I'm sure some will disagree, but to me there's no such thing as a quarterback that "carried their team" and won Super Bowl(s). Every SB winning quarterback had a solid team around him. Winning a SB takes a lot of things, not the least of which is some luck. Even Tom Brady had luck on his side in several of his SB wins. Such as the pass that one of his receivers caught while the ball teetered on his foot, or Carroll getting cutesy and trying a pass instead of letting Lynch pound it in or having the opposing coach completely self-destruct and blow a 28 pt lead in barely over a quarter's time? Brady had nothing to do with those situations, he greatly benefitted from it.

Even on our own Dallas Cowboys, in the Denver SB win they fumbled the ball terribly, but the ball bounced the right way so that they recovered it, a recovery or two by Denver's defense/special teams would probably have changed the course of the game.

It goes the other way, too, of course, not saying luck wins SBs by itself or that the quarterback isn't an important part of the team and can have a big impact on winning by his throws and game management.

But having a quarterback win the SB with a poor or even mediocre team? Doesn't happen....

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'm sure some will disagree, but to me there's no such thing as a quarterback that "carried their team" and won Super Bowl(s). Every SB winning quarterback had a solid team around him. Winning a SB takes a lot of things, not the least of which is some luck. Even Tom Brady had luck on his side in several of his SB wins. Such as the pass that one of his receivers caught while the ball teetered on his foot, or Carroll getting cutesy and trying a pass instead of letting Lynch pound it in or having the opposing coach completely self-destruct and blow a 28 pt lead in barely over a quarter's time? Brady had nothing to do with those situations, he greatly benefitted from it.

Even on our own Dallas Cowboys, in the Denver SB win they fumbled the ball terribly, but the ball bounced the right way so that they recovered it, a recovery or two by Denver's defense/special teams would probably have changed the course of the game.

It goes the other way, too, of course, not saying luck wins SBs by itself or that the quarterback isn't an important part of the team and can have a big impact on winning by his throws and game management.

But having a quarterback win the SB with a poor or even mediocre team? Doesn't happen....
Dak’s played on teams that were championship caliber imo.

Especially if you add one of these legit elite QBs.

The NFC is down bad right now and somehow we just lost to Brock Purdy because our huge advantage at QB laid an egg.

The NFL has made it to where all these teams are similar and a bigtime QB changes things instantly.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

The NFC is down bad right now and somehow we just lost to Brock Purdy because our huge advantage at QB laid an egg.

The NFL has made it to where all these teams are similar and a bigtime QB changes things instantly.
1. Don't agree, they were good, but not championship caliber. But of course, as we all know, no rookie qb ever won a SB. No surprise Dak didn't, either.
2. So you expect a 4th round draftee qb to be elite? Good luck with that, and before Brady is brought up, he's the exception, it's not at all common.
3. The NFC is bad? Gee, didn't the Eagles just lose the SB by 3 pts, on field goal with 8 seconds left? Wasn't the SB won by an NFC team the two years before that? Hardly sounds like the NFC is bad to me. And Dak didn't lose to Brock Purdy, Purdy threw for only 214 yards, and had no touchdowns in that game. Quarterbacks don't lose to other quarterbacks, they lose to the other team's defense. Did Dak play well? Heck no, again that's obvious. Nobody said Dak has no fault in not getting SB wins/appearances. But it's not all his fault.
4. All teams are similar? Jets haven't been to the SB since 1969. Lions have never made it. If all teams are simliar, why haven't they made it/been back, either? And the Packers, with their "elite" qb, haven't been since the 2011 season. The "elite" Russell Wilson hasn't been since the 2014 season, and he only went to the 2 SBs when he had the NUMBER 1 defense. Has Dak ever had the no. 1 defense? Nope. The "elite" Drew Brees won only 1 SB, and that way back in the 2009 season. The above 3 teams had the "elite" quarterback but haven't won but 3 SBs between all 3 of them put together.

Look, I'd love if if Dak was "elite", but he's not. He needs to play better, that's obvious. He doesn't play well in big games, that's true. Never said he was "elite" or even close to it. But even if he was, it's no guarantee of a SB win, not if the above 3 qbs only got 1 each. It's HARD to win a SB. We don't know if adding an "elite" qb would win us a SB, Marino never won one and he was certainly "elite" in his day. So was Jim Kelly, and he lost 3 SBs (got hurt early in one Buffalo loss, as you know).

QBs alone don't win SBs, don't care how good they are.

Swagger

Reaction score

Your first sentence is the pertinent point and one which many fans fail to acknowledge. People focus on the Cowboy receivers when Mahomes and the Chiefs just won the Superbowl without a top wide receiver. This is what makes it so painful to watch the Cowboys in recent years - they play in a terrible conference with only two good teams yet as they are kneecapped at QB their chances are shut down early on during the play offs every season. Imagine a QB paid $40 million pound a year being outplayed by Brock Purdy! Dear me. :facepalm:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with Troy. Having a certain mindset is important and I don't think Romo had it. Dak has the "I got to win a super bowl" mindset but not the talent.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Dak sucks but his loyal fan club still makes the I Love Dak posts trying to prop up their bestie.
No, Dak does not "suck".

He's a bit better than average, if you don't think that just how many NFL quarterbacks play in a given year? 50? 32 starters and a bunch more that come in due to the starter being injured, being benched. Are you saying Dak's in the tier with quarterbacks like Winston, Trubisky, etc.?

Even if Dak is average, he still doesn't "suck".

And no, Dak's not my "bestie" (whatever that means), he's my team's quarterback, and I'll support him as much as he deserves. Not going to overlook his faults, but neither am I going to go to extremes to criticize him.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Really? Who started this thread?
If someone looked who would be the top 3 posters about Dak? Seriously, its funny because ya'll post the most about huim like a band of EX's or something while talking about others "Love" for him...remember it takes the same amount of emotion to love or hate another...just sayin

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
If someone looked who would be the top 3 posters about Dak? Seriously, its funny because ya'll post the most about huim like a band of EX's or something while talking about others "Love" for him...remember it takes the same amount of emotion to love or hate another...just sayin
Nailed it.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
The only ones that apply emotions to Dak are his supporters.