Troy Aikman was overrated

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Close. But not quite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_champions_(1920–1969)

Not even by historical accounts were the Jets and Chiefs NFL champs. The first 4 Super Bowls were nothing more than glorified exhibition games between the champions of two separate leagues. They gave the winners of those games the title "World Champs", but the Colts and Vikings still go down as NFL Champs for those years. Like I said, the first Super Bowl that actually counted as an NFL title game was Super Bowl V.
Again that’s correct as I said they are technically NFL champs which is equivalent to NFC champs not World Champions of the NFL or Super Bowl Champs.

I’m not sure how old you were but unlike the first two , Super Bowl III was widely known as the first matchup that was officially called the Super Bowl and determine the champion of the NFL.

Since the merger didn’t officially transpire until 1970 the winner of the respective leagues soon to become conferences were still called NFL and AFL Champs but the Super Bowl champion was recognized as champion of the NFL. Sorry if that’s confusing ..

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
but the Super Bowl champion was recognized as champion of the NFL

This is the only part I disagree with. Regardless of what they called them, or how the term SB came to be, it was the same game. The champions of each league playing eachother. The Vikings are still credited for winning the NFL League Championship game like any other that came before that. Similar to if some other league champ beat the Eagles. They would be world champs, but the Eagles would still be Super Bowl winners of the NFL.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is the only part I disagree with. Regardless of what they called them, or how the term SB came to be, it was the same game. The champions of each league playing eachother. The Vikings are still credited for winning the NFL League Championship game like any other that came before that. Similar to if some other league champ beat the Eagles. They would be world champs, but the Eagles would still be Super Bowl winners of the NFL.
Like I said we didn’t have to have this discussion after the first two because they were exhibition games as you described and not labeled or called the Super Bowl until later.

Green Bay had already been determined champs of the NFL. But that’s what made the Jets/ Colts matchup so special and hype surrounding it is both leagues agreed the Super Bowl would determine the champ and what fueled the merger.

The fact the leagues were still separate the winners of those were still AFL and NFL Champs because they weren’t officially conferences yet.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was good for 5 years. Many credible media sources questioned if Troy deserved the HOF when he got in. 36,000 post 6000 likes lol.

I’m not a cowboy homer, I tell it like it is. His stats are well below hall of fame.

Typical 20 something with no real memory of the man playing QB. "I watched a few games on tape.....blah blah......." You are an idiot.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Eli wasn't very good in his first super bowl win.

Eli played well over his normal play for those 2 Super Bowl runs. And always reverted back to his normal self the next season. He's wildy inconsistent and average but he does have the 2 rings. I wish we could say the same for the Romo era. Heck even just 1 ring.

cowboyec

Reaction score
#8 was one of the best I ever saw...specially when it mattered the most.
I'll take #8...ALL DAY.

csirl

Reaction score
Cowboys were as bad as the current Browns when Aikman was drafted. He looked like a future HOF even as a rookie on a 1-15 team.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
This isn't as outlandish as some of are you are wishing it is.

He had 5 good years and 5 mediocre to terrible seasons. His 5 good years came when he was surrounded by one of the most loaded teams in NFL history.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Just look at his post season stats, to see how good he was.

What about them? Outside of his 1992 and 1995 stats, he was pretty damn awful.

1991 - 1 game, 0 TDs, 1 INT
1994 - 2 games, 4 TDs, 4 INTs
1996 - 2 games, 1 TD, 4 INTs
1998 - 1 game, 1 TD, 3 INTs
1999 - 1 game, 0 TD, 1 INT

A couple of great post season doesn't take away that he had far more bad post-season performances than good.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Aikman would have thrown for huge numbers if he were somewhere else like San Francisco, Green Bay, Miami, Houston, etc.

The man won 3 Super Bowls...I don't know what else he can do to prove to people that he was a great QB.

The year we had Aikman throw the ball a ton, he still put up mediocre numbers. 19 TDs, and 12 INTs with 518 passing attempts. Actually, it was one of his worst seasons.

csirl

Reaction score
The year we had Aikman throw the ball a ton, he still put up mediocre numbers. 19 TDs, and 12 INTs with 518 passing attempts. Actually, it was one of his worst seasons.

Figures were good for that era - especially on a 6-10 team that was imploding.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Figures were good for that era - especially on a 6-10 team that was imploding.

No, no it was not. It was 1997, QBs throwing the ball that much were putting up better numbers - Steve Young and Brett Favre were dominating.

Aikman had a rating around 78. This was not good in the 90s. It was a bad season and Aikman couldn't handle all of it being on his shoulders - good at screaming on the sidelines, but just as much a problem on the field.

csirl

Reaction score
No, no it was not. It was 1997, QBs throwing the ball that much were putting up better numbers - Steve Young and Brett Favre were dominating.

Aikman had a rating around 78. This was not good in the 90s. It was a bad season and Aikman couldn't handle all of it being on his shoulders - good at screaming on the sidelines, but just as much a problem on the field.

Stats dont tell the full story. Jeff George led the league in passing in 1997.

Praxit

Reaction score
...being 3 - 0 in Championships. Has overrated way under par. ....lol.. Aikman will always be known as a Champion Cowboy.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Stats dont tell the full story. Jeff George led the league in passing in 1997.

What is the "full story"? Team imploding? That's the point, Aikman couldn't handle it when the team around him wasn't 100% - heck, he could barely handle it at times while not having Smith.

csirl

Reaction score
What is the "full story"? Team imploding? That's the point, Aikman couldn't handle it when the team around him wasn't 100% - heck, he could barely handle it at times while not having Smith.

He looked like an elite QB as a rookie playing on a 1-15 team with a revolving door on the locker room. In college he won a national championship on a team running the wishbone even though he was a pure passer. I think he was ok operating in less than ideal surroundings.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He looked like an elite QB as a rookie playing on a 1-15 team with a revolving door on the locker room. In college he won a national championship on a team running the wishbone even though he was a pure passer. I think he was ok operating in less than ideal surroundings.

Aikman did not look elite his rookie year. Dude, come on. I don't care what he did in college, that's not the NFL.

The simple fact is, when things weren't going well around Aikman, he was mediocre to terrible and all stats indicate this.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
when everything was clicking in 92,93,94,95 Honestly if Aikman made the hall of fame than Eli deserves it too.
27347_122623129_small1.gif
:p