Troy Aikman was overrated

InTheZone

Reaction score
The point he was making is Roy said his prime was his 20s, pessimistcowbiy is saying well that’s his whole career since he pretty much only played in his 20s. Take it for what it’s worth.
Didn't think an explanation was needed lol, but good job

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The point he was making is Roy said his prime was his 20s, pessimistcowbiy is saying well that’s his whole career since he pretty much only played in his 20s. Take it for what it’s worth.
That's not his whole career though lol.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
That's not his whole career though lol.

Don’t shoot the messenger, I’m just telling you the point he was trying to make was that his prime according to you was his 20s which pc is saying well that’s 90% of his career. Which I tend to agree with pc here. Troy just wasn’t very good outside of a four year stretch. He really needed a loaded team to perform, and couldn’t do it on his own. If you took romo and put him in troys spot, cowboys still win those same super bowls. Troy in Romos situation, and the cowboys do worse. Aikman was a rich mans drew Bledsoe. Yes I said it. Good but not great.

They always say hall of fame players need to be one of the best of their era. Troy wasn’t a top 5 of his era. He never even came close to sniffing an mvp or all pro.

Last edited:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Hahaha....a HOF QB who's one of thee most accurate passer in NFL history is overrated?

Bwahaha.....please take the medication as directed

This is a perfect example of people mythologizing.

"One of the three most accurate passers in NFL history overrated?"

Folks make up claims and treat it as fact. There are no numbers that support that claim.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
when everything was clicking in 92,93,94,95 he was a solid game manager. Yes he was a great leader but he was overrated. I watched the 96 divisional game vs Carolina and he blew that game. Threw multiple uneccassary picks and missed bjoroson for a walk inTD on the goal line. He kept forcing deep balls in the 4th quarter and the score was only 23-17. In 2000 vs the Vikings in the wild card game he missed wide open WRs down field. Missed warren twice deep, billy Davis , rocket.

I know he looked good when everything was rolling but he seemed to panic anytime we were behind. He’s probably the 3rd best QB in franchise history. Honestly if Aikman made the hall of fame than Eli deserves it too.

When the team needed Troy to step up, he did much more than he didn't

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
:rolleyes: playing that punk card of a fellow members post to like ratio lands yer' foolishness in IGNORE column,,,o_O
He doesn't even realize "zrinkill" probally had about 33,000 of his posts, prior to likes being used on this site. Which means "zrinkill" has gotten 5000+ likes on just 3000+ post. While he only has 5000+ likes on 6000+ posts. Lack of observation from O.P., may explain this thread.
:laugh:

Last edited:

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
I agree. After 95 he really didn't carry the team like "great leaders do" when he didn't have all the great pieces. A lot of his mistakes were ignored, like Brady or Dak. Our playoff losses to Carolina and AZ weren't the only examples, but they're big ones. In 2000 what about the Vikings loss. Shut out after the 1st quarter, smdh.
Not drafting Randy Moss was THE biggest mistake in the Jones era. I still have images in my head ala.. Brady to Moss, of what our offense would have been like in the late 90s-early 2000's, had we teamed Moss up, with Emmitt and Aikman. He would have learned from the "Playmaker" opposed to Chris Carter, as well. Could have used the two #1 picks given up for Joey Galloway, too.
:facepalm:

Last edited:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
They always say hall of fame players need to be one of the best of their era. Troy wasn’t a top 5 of his era. He never even came close to sniffing an mvp or all pro.

I don't know who "they" are but Troy managed to get voted into the HOF without being voted to those other awards, so apparently "they" are wrong. :rolleyes:

jimmy40

Reaction score
Don’t shoot the messenger, I’m just telling you the point he was trying to make was that his prime according to you was his 20s which pc is saying well that’s 90% of his career. Which I tend to agree with pc here. Troy just wasn’t very good outside of a four year stretch. He really needed a loaded team to perform, and couldn’t do it on his own. If you took romo and put him in troys spot, cowboys still win those same super bowls. Troy in Romos situation, and the cowboys do worse. Aikman was a rich mans drew Bledsoe. Yes I said it. Good but not great.

No way in hell Tony Romo stands in the pocket and delivers passes while taking the hits Troy took which he would have had to do back then.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
According to NFL.Com, Aikman has the highest completion percentage in Super Bowl history at 70%.

That's better than those other scrubs: Peyton Manning and Joe Montana.

Count your lucky stars there's not an "unlike" button.

Last edited:

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Somebody wants attention. Wow, you got it, 5 pages worth. I hope you feel good about yourself.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
No way in hell Tony Romo stands in the pocket and delivers passes while taking the hits Troy took which he would have had to do back then.

So basically you’re saying tony couldn’t exist with troys hall of fame oline? Or do you mean that when Troy was terrible outside of 5 years, romo would have done worse? Troy with Tony’s oline would have been so bad.

Johnny23

Reaction score
Not drafting Randy Moss was THE biggest mistake in the Jones era. I still have images in my head ala.. Brady to Moss, of what our offense would have been like in the late 90s-early 2000's, had we teamed Moss up, with Emmitt and Aikman. He would have learned from the "Playmaker" opposed to Chris Carter, as well. Could have used the two #1 picks given up for Joey Galloway, too.
:facepalm:

Moss
Rocket
Irv
Emmitt

Bruh.

How we screwed that up is beyond me.

Flamma

Reaction score
I don't like all of these what ifs. Was he successful or not? Montana played most of his career on some wildly talented teams too. Put him on the 2013 Cowboys and see what happens.

I think people can sometimes under appreciate a good QB because they make things look easy. You can't just plug and play anyone. Anyone old enough to remember the 1982 NFC Championship game against the Commanders? Danny White gets hurt and Gary Hogeboom replaces him and is playing well until his two picks, one for 6 that ended the game. I think we win that game if White doesn't get hurt. Or at least take the lead late in the game.

kskboys

Reaction score
when everything was clicking in 92,93,94,95 he was a solid game manager. Yes he was a great leader but he was overrated. I watched the 96 divisional game vs Carolina and he blew that game. Threw multiple uneccassary picks and missed bjoroson for a walk inTD on the goal line. He kept forcing deep balls in the 4th quarter and the score was only 23-17. In 2000 vs the Vikings in the wild card game he missed wide open WRs down field. Missed warren twice deep, billy Davis , rocket.

I know he looked good when everything was rolling but he seemed to panic anytime we were behind. He’s probably the 3rd best QB in franchise history. Honestly if Aikman made the hall of fame than Eli deserves it too.
You can find playoff exits like that for all QB's.

kskboys

Reaction score
He was never overrated to the dozens of NFL defenders who said he was the most accurate QB they ever saw. Troy was so good at placing the ball on a dime, too many never realized how incredibly difficult that is with a pass rush coming at you.

Overrated? No way.
Levels of greatness.

No, Troy doesn't match up to the top 10 or so QB's all time, but he's top of the 2nd tier. Just because you're not as great as Brady and Montana doesn't mean you aren't great.

shabazz

Reaction score
........And yet I’d still take him at 51 years of age over the current imposter we have at the Qb position