Troy Aikman was overrated

waving monkey

Reaction score
when everything was clicking in 92,93,94,95 he was a solid game manager. Yes he was a great leader but he was overrated. I watched the 96 divisional game vs Carolina and he blew that game. Threw multiple uneccassary picks and missed bjoroson for a walk inTD on the goal line. He kept forcing deep balls in the 4th quarter and the score was only 23-17. In 2000 vs the Vikings in the wild card game he missed wide open WRs down field. Missed warren twice deep, billy Davis , rocket.

I know he looked good when everything was rolling but he seemed to panic anytime we were behind. He’s probably the 3rd best QB in franchise history. Honestly if Aikman made the hall of fame than Eli deserves it too.

The Dallas Cowboys have been fortunate in their QBs. Roger Staubach was a miracle maker. Aikman was right behind him.
He was methodical even mechanical in his accuracy. So you are labeling him overrated for some bad throws or had some bad games?
His selfless methodical execution made the Cowboys plays look easy. You expected him to be right on target. Please with this "overrated".

waving monkey

Reaction score
Read the original post. 23 TDS (career high) in a season OVERRATED ! 165 TD passes cmon. He got in the hall of fame because 3 Super Bowls. Aikman was only good for 5 seasons. 91-95. He blew the Carolina game, Arizona game. As I said even Garrett , Kosar , Buerdaline looked good with they filled in for Aikman with those early 90s teams.
He had E.Smith making history .My god

Diehardblues

Reaction score
when everything was clicking in 92,93,94,95 he was a solid game manager. Yes he was a great leader but he was overrated. I watched the 96 divisional game vs Carolina and he blew that game. Threw multiple uneccassary picks and missed bjoroson for a walk inTD on the goal line. He kept forcing deep balls in the 4th quarter and the score was only 23-17. In 2000 vs the Vikings in the wild card game he missed wide open WRs down field. Missed warren twice deep, billy Davis , rocket.

I know he looked good when everything was rolling but he seemed to panic anytime we were behind. He’s probably the 3rd best QB in franchise history. Honestly if Aikman made the hall of fame than Eli deserves it too.
Eli will get in for some of the same reasons Troy did. He played his best games on the biggest stages.

At the QB position winning matters. Many QB in HOF that wouldn’t be there without winning championships.

And why Impact is part of the consideration.

Flamma

Reaction score
Eli will get in for some of the same reasons Troy did. He played his best games on the biggest stages.

At the QB position winning matters. Many QB in HOF that wouldn’t be there without winning championships.

You're probably right. But I don't think Eli is a HOF QB. This is why I rarely give any care at all to who gets in the HOF in professional football. Had the Ravens maintained their dominant defense for three straight years and won SBs, would Trent Dilfer be HOF? He's not. He had little to nothing to do with winning that SB.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The “different eras” doesn’t hold much water. There were QBs during Aikman’s era that were putting up huge numbers (e.g. Favre, Young, etc.).

Outside of his stellar 1992 postseason run, Aikman’s playoff numbers weren’t special.
They put up volume stats, Aikman was as efficient as it got. In 1993, Aikman was 2nd in passer rating (99) and YPA (7.9), 1st in completion % (69.1) and 10th in both yards (3100) and TDs (15)...while being 16th in attempts, some 260 attempts behind Elway and 70 behind Young. He threw 6 INTs to Young's 16 and Elway's 10. The numbers were simply products of the systems that those teams played in, not skill.

And not for nothing, but the "huge numbers" that Young and Elway put up in 1993 were ~4030 yards and 27 TDs. Tony Romo has put up "bigger" seasons 4 times.

So yes, the different eras thing does matter.

Xelda

Reaction score
I remember an announcer commenting on Troy while he was still playing. He said Aikman was an "unselfish quarterback" that "didn't throw for the sake of records". He was also called "the most accurate passer of that time".

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
Aikman would have thrown for huge numbers if he were somewhere else like San Francisco, Green Bay, Miami, Houston, etc.

The man won 3 Super Bowls...I don't know what else he can do to prove to people that he was a great QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You're probably right. But I don't think Eli is a HOF QB. This is why I rarely give any care at all to who gets in the HOF in professional football. Had the Ravens maintained their dominant defense for three straight years and won SBs, would Trent Dilfer be HOF? He's not. He had little to nothing to do with winning that SB.
No but Dilfer is an extreme example we often see used in this argument .

There are much better examples which are more subjective closer to the bubble that would or wouldn’t get in with or without winning a championship. And why winning matters if your a QB.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Good grief. Okay, we're bored, so I'll bite.
Overrated? Yeah, he had some bad games, but the great ones do that from time to time, even if they don't have multiple concussions. I suppose Emmitt was overrated, too. And Irvin, just awful. Don't get me started on Lilly, Manster, Haley, Howley, and Brad Johnson. Wait, now, he was awful.

Flamma

Reaction score
No but Dilfer is an extreme example we often see used in this argument .

There are much better examples which are more subjective closer to the bubble that would or wouldn’t get in with or without winning a championship. And why winning matters if your a QB.

How many QBs are in the hall of fame without winning an NFL super bowl? Joe Namath is one. He won his while still with the AFL, he never won an NFL championship. Tarkenton, Marino, Moon, who else? Seems to me it's winning the big one that gets QBs in, not so much stats.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
How many QBs are in the hall of fame without winning an NFL super bowl? Joe Namath is one. He won his while still with the AFL, he never won an NFL championship. Tarkenton, Marino, Moon, who else? Seems to me it's winning the big one that gets QBs in, not so much stats.
Actually Super Bowl III was first matchup of NFL va AFL was considered World Champions or 1st Super Bowl champion.

Same with the Chiefs following year. The first two were not. We never had to have that argument because Packers won them both.

https://worldhistoryproject.org/1969/1/12/super-bowl-iii-jets16-colts-7

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Its actually a combination of both but if you’ve won championships you don’t need as great of stats.

Tarkenton, Marino and Moon are ones whose career stats were great enough without a championship but still played for championships and perineal playoff contenders.

Without those type of careers in playoffs or championship contender you better have led the league in passing and set NFL records.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don’t really have a problem with how the NFL decides on HOF QB’s. I’m usually aligned with the inductions.

But then I don’t place my emotions ahead of my better judgement in how these decisions are concluded .

I think on the most part they get it right. We must also remember that Impact is a big part of the decision and why winning is so critical .

We’re coming up on 100 years of professional football and they begun induction in 1960’s with 17 players initially and we’ve just passed 300 so it’s a very exclusive club.

And that’s how it should be. There should always be some great players we think are worthy but don’t make the cut. The good news is it’s never over and there’s always time to get it right even if it’s posthumously.

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
Actually Super Bowl III was first matchup of NFL va AFL was considered World Champions or 1st Super Bowl champion.

Same with the Chiefs following year. The first two were not. We never had to have that argument because Packers won them both.

https://worldhistoryproject.org/1969/1/12/super-bowl-iii-jets16-colts-7

All of the first 4 were AFL VS NFL games since the league didn't merge prior to Super Bowl 5 between the Colts and Cowboys. They just changed the name at SB3, doesn't change what the game was. You can call the first 4 whatever you like, but they were nothing more than if the USFL champion played the Super Bowl Winners of the NFL. The Colts and Vikings are still NFL Champions those years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
All of the first 4 were AFL VS NFL games since the league didn't merge prior to Super Bowl 5 between the Colts and Cowboys. They just changed the name at SB3, doesn't change what the game was. You can call the first 4 whatever you like, but they were nothing more than if the USFL champion played the Super Bowl Winners of the NFL. The Colts and Vikings are still NFL Champions those years.
Lol...that’s a mere technicality to support your narrative.

The Jets and Chiefs were recognized as Super Bowl Champions which means by all historical counts as Champions of the NFL.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
So Troy wins 3 Super Bowls in 4 years but is overrated because of some playoff games after that run? Lmao. Wow.

I'm sure you think Favre and Steve Young were better, huh?

kskboys

Reaction score

Eli wasn't very good in his first super bowl win.

Flamma

Reaction score
Lol...that’s a mere technicality to support your narrative.

The Jets and Chiefs were recognized as Super Bowl Champions which means by all historical counts as Champions of the NFL.

Close. But not quite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_champions_(1920–1969)

Not even by historical accounts were the Jets and Chiefs NFL champs. The first 4 Super Bowls were nothing more than glorified exhibition games between the champions of two separate leagues. They gave the winners of those games the title "World Champs", but the Colts and Vikings still go down as NFL Champs for those years. Like I said, the first Super Bowl that actually counted as an NFL title game was Super Bowl V.