Troy Aikman was overrated

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was good for 5 years. Many credible media sources questioned if Troy deserved the HOF when he got in. 36,000 post 6000 likes lol.

I’m not a cowboy homer, I tell it like it is. His stats are well below hall of fame.
And yet Troy is in the HOF...forever. And there’s nothing you or some “credible media” types will ever be able to say or do to change that. You’re entitled to your opinion. But Troy Aikman is in the Hall of Fame and that’s a fact.

Torturedcowboysfan

Reaction score
when everything was clicking in 92,93,94,95 he was a solid game manager. Yes he was a great leader but he was overrated. I watched the 96 divisional game vs Carolina and he blew that game. Threw multiple uneccassary picks and missed bjoroson for a walk inTD on the goal line. He kept forcing deep balls in the 4th quarter and the score was only 23-17. In 2000 vs the Vikings in the wild card game he missed wide open WRs down field. Missed warren twice deep, billy Davis , rocket.

I know he looked good when everything was rolling but he seemed to panic anytime we were behind. He’s probably the 3rd best QB in franchise history. Honestly if Aikman made the hall of fame than Eli deserves it too.
He's underrated. He's the poster boy for sacrificing for the team. he's the most accurate passer EVER. He plays in a run first offense and didn't have the chance to show what he could really really do. The 94 nfc championship game is what he would've been without a running game. His numbers would've been crazy. Irvin's numbers would've been even better too Think of how many times Mike caught the ball in the red zone and we ran it in. Without Emmett, Mike has 40 more TDS.

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
I won’t say overrated but maybe he is amongst Cowboys fans. Aikman used the resources around him and won 3 championships. That is pretty special. I do believe that Aikman very much so benefited from great offensive line play, fantastic run game and strong defense. He still had to make the accurate throws when called upon.

That being said, I don’t necessarily think that he would’ve been able to shoulder the load alone the way Romo was asked to. The biggest reason being his lack of mobility. He had all of the arm talent and accuracy in the world but he could not make a bad offensive line into a good one. It cannot be argued that his success came when surrounded by hall of famers

scottsp

Reaction score
It is unreal how many times Troy would go 12-17, 180 yds, 2/0 TD by halftime, only to end games 17-25, 220, 2/0.

Point being, most weeks the offense would come out firing through the air, get up on an opponent 13-10 at the half, and to open the 3rd it was just Death-by-Emmitt. Final: 27-17, God bless and good night.

This perception that Aikman sat back and played it safe is so incredibly misguided to me. Yes, there were weeks this offense played the battering ram, but let me say this: we witnessed an entire month pass between games in which a defender laid fingers on one of his passes.

That is the level of Aikman’s accuracy. And he wasn’t some check-down artist, either.

jrumann59

Reaction score
He was such a surgeon and fearless, he stood in to the last second to throw that perfect strike only he could do and take a shot and do it again later in the game. He put his body on the line for his craft and to be dead eye accurate all the while. While many awed at Marino, Elway, Favre, Kelly and others that blistered defenses with prolific passing yards none were as successful in that era that a passing attack was complimentary to a great ground game unlike it is now where 4000 yard passing seasons are more the norm and running is only used to compliment the pass paly calling.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I know he looked good when everything was rolling but he seemed to panic anytime we were behind. He’s probably the 3rd best QB in franchise history. Honestly if Aikman made the hall of fame than Eli deserves it too.

Troy Aikman had as many 4th quarter comebacks as fellow Hall of Famers Terry Bradshaw, Len Dawson, and Joe Namath. Aikman had more 4th quarter comebacks than Roger Staubach.

But please, tell us where he's rated? :muttley:

kskboys

Reaction score
I certainly won't say he's overrated but I don't think I see any Superbowl wins in the last dozen years if he was the qb
There's not a QB alive who would've led this team to super bowl wins in the last dozen years. The closest thing we had to a super bowl team was 07, and that team collapsed in the playoffs, just as the 09 team did.

kskboys

Reaction score
I guess there isn't an answer. I remember some question if Irvin deserved to go in but I don't remember any with Troy. The guy was clutch. One of the best I ever saw. And I'll say what I said then, "I wouldn't trade Aikman for anyone."
One of the most unguardable WR's of all time, and someone questions Irvin going in?

kskboys

Reaction score
when everything was clicking in 92,93,94,95 he was a solid game manager. Yes he was a great leader but he was overrated. I watched the 96 divisional game vs Carolina and he blew that game. Threw multiple uneccassary picks and missed bjoroson for a walk inTD on the goal line. He kept forcing deep balls in the 4th quarter and the score was only 23-17. In 2000 vs the Vikings in the wild card game he missed wide open WRs down field. Missed warren twice deep, billy Davis , rocket.

Aikmann and Eli are not even on the same page. It's not close.

Staubach and Dandy were both great QB's, so yes, you could say he's third. Staubach is in the HOF, and Dandy should be. Like Romo, Dandy was saddled w/ one of the most horrible D's in the NFL. In his last 3 years, he was a probowler all 3 and lost twice in the real super bowl to the GB Packers in the NFL Champ game. If Pugh doesn't slip on the ice, Dandy would have a super bowl ring. Those who want to compare today want to turn to numbers to do so, even though it's blatantly obvious that numbers cannot be used for a comparison between eras.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Aikmann and Eli are not even on the same page. It's not close.

Staubach and Dandy were both great QB's, so yes, you could say he's third. Staubach is in the HOF, and Dandy should be. Like Romo, Dandy was saddled w/ one of the most horrible D's in the NFL. In his last 3 years, he was a probowler all 3 and lost twice in the real super bowl to the GB Packers in the NFL Champ game. If Pugh doesn't slip on the ice, Dandy would have a super bowl ring. Those who want to compare today want to turn to numbers to do so, even though it's blatantly obvious that numbers cannot be used for a comparison between eras.

The “different eras” doesn’t hold much water. There were QBs during Aikman’s era that were putting up huge numbers (e.g. Favre, Young, etc.).

Outside of his stellar 1992 postseason run, Aikman’s playoff numbers weren’t special.

kskboys

Reaction score
The “different eras” doesn’t hold much water. There were QBs during Aikman’s era that were putting up huge numbers (e.g. Favre, Young, etc.).

Outside of his stellar 1992 postseason run, Aikman’s playoff numbers weren’t special.
It holds a ton of water. 3,000 yds used to be a high water mark. Now, if you don't throw for 4,000, you get benched.

Seriously, I know you know this, so I'd imagine you posted that just to be argumentative. I mean, it's so obvious, so I'd guess you're just tryin' to get my dander up.