Troy Aikman was overrated

Xelda

Reaction score
Staubach was the best QB this franchise ever had. But Romo is 2nd and it’s not even close. Aikman couldn’t hold Romo’s jockstrap. Romo was so much better.
OH!!!! We don't say those things out loud. You just held a hoedown right in the middle of sacred Cowboy's ground. Now I love me some Romo, but I'm not going to speak evil of our former QB that brought us three glorious seasons. You better do a hundred Hail Landry's and get thyself to a confessional ASAP!

foofighters

Reaction score
Yours is stupid they should’ve won 4/5 Troy blew the Carolina game and the cardinals game. 36,000 posts only 6000 likes haha!
If truly want to go there, I have a higher percentage of likes than you do. So does that mean my say carries more weight? Well...it does but it doesn't really have anything to do with likes. Here's what you're missing:

1. All QB's lose games. Even the great ones do.
2. Troy played in a different era. You mentioned Romo being better than him and you can't do that. Different era's and different offenses. Troy excelled in a run first offense. Romo was awesome in a pass first offense.
3. So what if Troy struggled after '95. The whole was in a decline and it's even more proof that it's a team game.

Stop being mad because you're one of those guys who's mad because he's not a homer in the booth.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
when everything was clicking in 92,93,94,95 he was a solid game manager. Yes he was a great leader but he was overrated. I watched the 96 divisional game vs Carolina and he blew that game. Threw multiple uneccassary picks and missed bjoroson for a walk inTD on the goal line. He kept forcing deep balls in the 4th quarter and the score was only 23-17. In 2000 vs the Vikings in the wild card game he missed wide open WRs down field. Missed warren twice deep, billy Davis , rocket.

I know he looked good when everything was rolling but he seemed to panic anytime we were behind. He’s probably the 3rd best QB in franchise history. Honestly if Aikman made the hall of fame than Eli deserves it too.
You have no idea what you're talking about.

InTheZone

Reaction score
have yet to actually hear a valid argument why he wasn't overrated. I get he did his job during the SB runs, but this feels like the Dak 2016 vs 2017 argument. What have you done lately and the back half of his career was average. It just comes off as he won a SB so we can't talk bad about him or criticize in any way.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
when everything was clicking in 92,93,94,95 he was a solid game manager. Yes he was a great leader but he was overrated. I watched the 96 divisional game vs Carolina and he blew that game. Threw multiple uneccassary picks and missed bjoroson for a walk inTD on the goal line. He kept forcing deep balls in the 4th quarter and the score was only 23-17. In 2000 vs the Vikings in the wild card game he missed wide open WRs down field. Missed warren twice deep, billy Davis , rocket.

I know he looked good when everything was rolling but he seemed to panic anytime we were behind. He’s probably the 3rd best QB in franchise history. Honestly if Aikman made the hall of fame than Eli deserves it too.

That team was 90% Emmitt.

We couldn't win a game without him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Its a shame that fantasy football, Madden and statistics have clouded opinions like this. Because the league is faster paced now and is more passing orientated everyone cares about the deep ball and passing yards. So Aikman is overrated because he doesn't have Drew Brees stats. Its moronic. Dumb.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Completely disagree with OP. Here is exactly why. Aikman played in a completely different era. DBs could maul WRs, most offenses were geared around a RB and a top WR and pieces. They didn't have these gaudy spread offense except maybe Buffalo. Aikman's numbers weren't gaudy but in the post season he is one of the most accurate passers in NFL history. So take what I spoke of above...you have Irvin split out and Emmitt. We ran play action. DBs are pressing and mauling WRs at the line. Almost EVERY pass was a timing route...hit the plant foot and throw. His passes were to windows and he hit that window more often than not and as I said was one of the most accurate passers in history in the post season. He posted a passer rating over 100 in 9 of his 16 playoff/SB teams. So how is that overrated....that the guy got better in the post season? Also, (and I'm one of the biggest Romo fans on here), I get why Romo is beloved..but put him and his freestyling ways in that era and his ints that killed us some games would go up big time. It's tough to judge eras. Would Troy be even better throwing 40 times a game with a spread offense like many in this era? Who wouldn't

Miller

Reaction score
Its a shame that fantasy football, Madden and statistics have clouded opinions like this. Because the league is faster paced now and is more passing orientated everyone cares about the deep ball and passing yards. So Aikman is overrated because he doesn't have Drew Brees stats. Its moronic. Dumb.

Thank you! Just said same above

InTheZone

Reaction score
Typical response.

It's dumb to ignore his completion % and int % got worse when the perfect pieces around him fell apart. As a kid I remember Madden saying Aikman is so accurate and that painted a perfect picture. Then I watched more of him and I wasn't seeing what people were saying. At one point he was my favorite player because who couldn't like him, at the time. But as I watched the team fall apart so did he. There was no carrying the team on his back.

No one needs Drew Brees stats so that's a little extreme to try to justify that comparison.

18/36 22/49, 22/38 2 td 7 picks. Last 3 most important games of his career.

No one's dismissing in the right system with the right players he looked good. It's how he looked when all eyes were on him after those SB runs.

If it makes you feel any better I feel the same way about Brady. I regard him as one of the best, but I seen him do terrible things in the playoffs that people tend to forget because he has all those rings. When his system isn't working he looks average.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Typical response.

It's dumb to ignore his completion % and int % got worse when the perfect pieces around him fell apart. As a kid I remember Madden saying Aikman is so accurate and that painted a perfect picture. Then I watched more of him and I wasn't seeing what people were saying. At one point he was my favorite player because who couldn't like him, at the time. But as I watched the team fall apart so did he. There was no carrying the team on his back.

No one needs Drew Brees stats so that's a little extreme to try to justify that comparison.

No one's dismissing in the right system with the right players he looked good. It's how he looked when all eyes were on him after those SB runs.

If it makes you feel any better I feel the same way about Brady. I regard him as one of the best, but I seen him do terrible things in the playoffs that people tend to forget because he has all those rings. When his system isn't working he looks average.
Every quarterback has poor moments in the post season.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
true, I think we can all agree with that. My point though was pointing out consecutive poor playoff games by Aikman.
You pointed to his stats at the end of his career though. His prime years which was his 20s were some great performances and that's what he's judged on.

Miller

Reaction score
Typical response.

The issue is that almost EVERY great QB is part of a system surrounded by studs. The only guys who could get teams there with nothing were Marino and Elway and Elways never won the big one until surrounded by better talent. Bradshaw, Staubach, Montana, etc all part of HOF talent teams with great coaches. Aikman literally was one of the most accurate and successful playoff QBs in history in his prime, as stated in my post above...passer rating over 100 in 9 of his 16 playoff/SB games. Doesn't make him as good as the guys above but he had skills that made the team as great as possible.

But yes he ended badly but was also beaten up badly.

GMO415

Reaction score
As a singer...he down right sucked....but that's about it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The guy retired at 31 years old give me a break. He was a good QB on a GREAT team.
What does when he retired have to do with anything? And of course he was a good qb. What's being debated here is hes "overrated". It's a dumb agenda to push the narrative that Romo was a great qb. Let's don't kid ourselves here.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
What does when he retired have to do with anything? And of course he was a good qb. What's being debated here is hes "overrated". It's a dumb agenda to push the narrative that Romo was a great qb. Let's don't kid ourselves here.

The point he was making is Roy said his prime was his 20s, pessimistcowbiy is saying well that’s his whole career since he pretty much only played in his 20s. Take it for what it’s worth.